Bay City TV shutting down :-(

Discussion in 'XETV (Canal 5)' started by smitty825, Jan 27, 2017.

1. smitty825

smitty825 New Member

According to San Diego Radio, the last day of local news will be on March 31, and then the local station will go off the air on May 31, to be replaced with "Channel 9" content.

2. Admin65

Admin65 Administrator Staff Member

CW will be a sub affiliate on KFMB on CH. 8.3 though not sure if HD or SD. Would not be surprised if AT&T (inc. DirecTV), Spectrum, Dish and Cox get a clean HD feed.

3. Admin65

KFMB could have 2HD and 1SD on their OTA which could mean OTA viewers will get decreased PQ.

4. Admin65

Ex employee of XETV offers his condolences. (turn off ad blocker to view).

5. Admin65

https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index...cw-affiliation-moving-from-xetv-to-kfmb.15861

Some rumors and information about CW going to KFMB. Apparently, Bay City actually has past due invoices that need to be paid. Rumors are swirling that the XETV building would be purchased by Kearny Mesa Toyota to expand their auto body repair business. Maybe the plan was to have Univision be on XETV's transmitter to try and dominate Spanish news in the area, but maybe Trump kind of made that not a reality. I guess Bay City could not work. Going to be sad to see it go, but I hear that Cableco's are trying to keep CW on CH. 6 because of its brand recognition.

6. DRB

DRB Member

Sad to see long time San Diego affiliate XETV go.
    I remember them as the ABC affiliate in the 60's as a kid, and later the Fox affiliate in its early years as a network in the 80s, before they became the WB and then CW affiliate in recent years.
    I loved when they had on air contests to win free San Diego Comic Con tickets a few years ago, when the Con regularly started becoming sold out way in advance. I won some free tickets for a few years from XETV that way.

7. Admin65

Apparently, they did have Financial problems, but Galavision in Mexico is the likely outcome for XETV and leave the US market. Univision having XETV could have let them dominate the SD Spanish news market as they could have more penetration. However, Televisa is increasing their stake in Univision, but who knows for sure. Some say that KFMB is having Grit TV on 8.3 with CW on 8.4, but that will make the PQ really bad for 8.1 and would likely require 2 720p HD's and 2 480i SD. Though 2 1080i at 6-7 mbps would likely have awful PQ.

8. Mike Mantle

Mike Mantle Member

I think you mean Gala TV, not Galavision. But even that is in doubt now according to Wikipedia.

9. Admin65

Could be accommodating the potential change to Univision or Canal 5. I do not know what the final outcome will be, but NBC San Diego is planning to start a Telemundo station on some unknown channel. I have heard rumors of XETV becoming a Univision affiliate as with KNSD getting Telemundo, they are going to want to dominate Spanish news in San Diego. KNSD is already operating a crammed station on CH. 39 with 2HD and 2SD, so it is going to not have good PQ, is NBC going to buy the Entravision LD channels, or even buy out CH. 51 for Telemundo. KNSD did not get that new studio for nothing as Telemundo will be operating out of that new studio, and will likely use common infrastructure to save on costs.

10. Admin65

Gala TV is already on CH. 45 in Tijuana, so that could switch to XETV or perhaps Univision or even Canal 5. Canal 5 I think is the most likely possibility as they can simply reprogram 6.2 to 6.1 and I even think PSIP don't matter, as Televisa wants their Canal 5 stations to be on Virtual 5.1.

11. Admin65

XETV is no longer broadcasting news at 4PM; however the morning and the 10PM newscasts will continue on until March 31.

12. Admin65

Looks like XETV will no longer broadcast news on the weekends. I guess the operation is winding down, but losing FOX and Al Pando, probably did them in. XETV's master control is out of Tijuana so probably the only employees between March 31-May 31 is likely a skeleton crew of security guards and a few engineers. Plus, those who will likely strip the building down and perhaps prep it for Toyota of Kearny Mesa.

13. Admin65

14. Admin65

Mark your calendars as tomorrow at 10 pm will be the final xetv newscast and will be a celebration of life or a tribute to all these years of serving San Diego and Tijuana.

15. Admin65

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/tv/sd-me-test-cw6-story.html

Well that's a wrap. CW6 News is no more but on Spectrum the station is still running, just with syndicated programming in place of local news until May 31. Looks like Cox and Spectrum will be getting the new CW station on 6, but other providers such as Satellite and U-verse are likely to have it on 6 as well.

16. bookertdub

bookertdub Member

I kinda hope DirecTV moves the channel from 6 to 8.2, but I'm probably living in fantasy world though haha.

17. Admin65

I expect the new CW station to be on Channel 6 on Cable and Satellite.

18. joem

joem New Member

Saw a short ad that said that Canal 5 will be on Virtual 6-1 shortly.
    It has been showing some programming of interest to this side of the border. Movies and some series in which the audio can be switched to the original English. It has shown "Orange is the new black" and several seasons of the Walking Dead.

We need more variety for San Diego/TJ. A lot of OTA Ch 12 is repeated on Ch 57.
    8-3 GRIT occasionally has better movies than ThisTV, but we don't have the presence here of MOVIES! like KCOP's 13-3.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Admin65 likes this.
  19. Admin65

I think the plan is to have Canal 5 on 6.1 and Gala TV on 6.2 (perhaps in SD if IFT enforces their minimum bit rate requirements, but maybe they will make an exception for Televisa).

20. Admin65

Sad to see XETV go, but they will still be there. Just not for the US market. Though if you can get the OTA signal, you might be able to watch Canal 5 programs in English such as Orange is the New Black, Bates Motel, Anime programs, and the Walking Dead to name a few. Those who wish to watch those without a cable or even a netflix subscription can now do so.