CW switching to KFMB

Discussion in 'KFMB (CBS)' started by bookertdub, Jan 27, 2017.

1. DRB

DRB Member

In another thread, some are saying MeTV is moving to KGTV, 10-2?

2. Randy

Randy New Member

Yes, sorry I missed that - actually received an email from KFMB that MeTV is moving to 10.2. Sucks for me as I'm on Directv and the channel 10 channels are tough to get OTA with a basic antenna.

3. DRB

DRB Member

I noticed meTV is active again on 8-2 for now. Maybe they decided to keep the feed on until the actual changeover takes place tomorrow?

4. Admin65

Admin65 Administrator Staff Member

Interesting! Originally the plan was to have CW on 8.3 as KFMB was contractually obligated to have it on 8.2, but something must have changed. PQ is still going to be bad, but with the majority on some sort of paytv service then it probably does not matter.

5. DRB

DRB Member

10-2 is active with Me-TV now, also on TW(Spectrum) cable on channel 15, and Cox cable channel 810.
    However 10-2 is set for 16:9 aspect ratio instead of the former 4:3 used on 8-2 for Me-TV.
    8-2 is only showing promos for the CW channel coming 5/31. But will it become 1080i 16:9 HD for the CW or stay 480i SD?

6. Admin65

CW subchannels can either be 1080i or 720p. 720p is usually more resilient than 1080i for low bit rate HD.

7. DRB

DRB Member

Since MeTV now on 10-2 appears to be formatted as 16:9 aspect ratio (whereas 8-2 was a 4:3 format) the picture now includes any black side bars.
    I see they appear to stretch or zoom it a little to reduce the black side bars and on some shows like Chips I noted it filled the screen with no black side bars via crop?
    This is similar to how the COZI channel 39-2 is also formatted 16:9.
    This works OK on these channels with an antenna + TV tuner and the TV set for "FULL" aspect/format mode, also works thru a cable box.
    It also works ok with the Spectrum cable app for Roku devices.

However with Spectrum cable apps on android devices and Samsung smart TVs - these apps appear to assume all 480i channels are 4:3 format and so add additional black side bars, making these two channels appear squished with overly large black side bars.
    There was no such problem on these apps when MeTV was on a 4:3 formatted channel before the switchover this week. COZI has always had this problem.

Is there a way to report this issue with 16:9 formatted 480i channels for these Spectrum/TW apps?

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  8. Admin65

Spectrum is really hard to deal with as Tom Rutledge wants his big salary, so he is cutting support on Social Media and forums.

9. DRB

DRB Member

I see TWC finally updated the cable box guide to put the MeTV listings on the new channel.
    Cox did it better - they simply mapped the original 808 channel for MeTV to the new channel, so nothing appeared to change to the user.
    Why couldn't TWC have done that too? Just remap the channel!

A different bug appeared in the last few days on the TWC/Spectrum android app and their web browser live TV and guide access - channel 15 that is MeTV on the cable box and shows as this in the guide, is now on the wrong channel for live TV - its mapped to the LAFF channel (10-3) rather than MeTV (10-2). Odd since its OK with the cable box!

10. ke_davis

ke_davis New Member

I receive my TV with a rooftop antenna in North Park. It's great that CW (formerly 6.1, which I don't get) will be on channel 8.2, (which I do get), but not so great that MeTV (formerly 8.2) is moving to 10.2 (which I don't get). I'd rather KFMB dropped Grit, 8.3, mostly a bunch of old westerns that I never watch. I loved the shows on MeTV.

11. Admin65

8.1 CBS
    8.2 CW
    8.3 Grit

This seems to be the channel lineup for KFMB post June 1.

12. Admin65

Word on the Cox forums is that KFMB sold the MeTV affiliation to KGTV.

13. Admin65

XETV will be airing Canal 5 on 6.1 once the affiliation swap is complete. There are movies and shows from north of the border and you can watch those in English if you prefer the original audio.

14. DRB

DRB Member

I see KFMB has now changed the format of 8-2 for their new CW sub-channel to 720p, it was 480i previously. So it appears they will offer the CW network in 720p HD along with 1080i HD on the 8-1 CBS sub-channel and 480i SD on the 8-3 GRIT sub-channel. I might expect some macroblocking on fast motion scenes at times.

15. Admin65

CW does infact allow 720p for subchannels as many small market affiliates do just that. CW Plus is also like that as well.

16. Admin65

KNSD plans to offer 2hd (nbc and telemundo) + 2sd (cozi and telexitos), but in a cable dominated market, what can you do.

17. Admin65

KFMB has taken over XETV's social media accounts as they are now advertising the new cw station! I guess they will also take over the website as well and some promos have been posted on youtube.

18. Admin65

Better Quality video for those who want to see the promo.