KPBS Sub Channels

Thread starter #1
Looks like KPBS has changed their sub channel assignments, dropping V-me. The PSIP data now indicates 15.1 (KPBS-HD), 15.2 (KPBSHD2), 15.3 (CREATE), and 15.4 (PBSKIDS). As a result, their HD sub channel (15.1) has also changed from 1080i to 720p.

The KPBS website has TV listings for KPBS-HD, KPBSHD2, and CREATE, but not PBSKIDS.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are asking but if it's related to compression, KPBS has invested in a new encoding system that allows two HD and more than one SD in the same bandwidth as before. This is not new. At least one station in Los Angeles has been doing the same thing for some time now. Encoding algorithms continue to improve year after year.

Thread starter #6
The picture quality on KPBS-HD (15.1) is noticeably not as good as it was. I don't mind adding the Create TV and PBSKIDS 480i channels, but the second HD channel seems pointless to me. From the listings, KPBS-HD2 carries the same kind of programming as KPBS-HD, but with more of the more esoteric programs, i.e. the ones few people actually watch.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
From the listings, KPBS-HD2 carries the same kind of programming as KPBS-HD, but with more of the more esoteric programs, i.e. the ones few people actually watch.
Programming that is likely slathered with "Viewers Like You" messages so they can get you to donate to them. Not that KPBS really needs it.