Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

2012 Time Warner Price Increases

DRB

I got my monthly TWC bill today and there was a sheet warning of price increases coming next month for the new year.
Looks like the TV packages are going up about $3/month, little change on cable internet prices though.
They are increasing the box rental fees again going up to $10/month.

My two year lock in price agreement expires within the next couple months. Too bad they don't have the lock in deals anymore.
The most they appear to have now is 2 or 3 service bundles that aren't locked in, just discounted from a-la-carte pricing.
I'll have to downgrade a bit and still will probably be paying over $10/month more than before. :(

Any other ways to get a lower price?

Martin.Perry

DRB said:
I got my monthly TWC bill today and there was a sheet warning of price increases coming next month for the new year.
Looks like the TV packages are going up about $3/month, little change on cable internet prices though.
They are increasing the box rental fees again going up to $10/month.

My two year lock in price agreement expires within the next couple months. Too bad they don't have the lock in deals anymore.
The most they appear to have now is 2 or 3 service bundles that aren't locked in, just discounted from a-la-carte pricing.
I'll have to downgrade a bit and still will probably be paying over $10/month more than before. :(

Any other ways to get a lower price?
I will sign you up for DirecTV. Plus by signing up with me you qualify for a $150.00 Best Buy gift card. my email address is martin.perry812@gmail.com

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe an antenna maker should attach these increases with their products to sell a few more antennas ;).

I'm thinking of dropping my cable tv subscription & installing my Slingbox at friend's vacation house in Palm Desert in which he's only in the unit for 3 to 6 days in a given month on average. He has 3 HDTVs (HD DVR in the living hoom and master bedroom and a rarely used tv in the den with a HD STB). The only thing holding it upright now is if the Padres games will be on the San Diego oriented FSN out there.

Well, I'm holding off on dumping cable. I called to see if TWC could lower the price. I was able to get rid of 2 tiers & Showtime, keep the variety tier, standard TWC internet (speeds of up to 10mbps), and the 2 DVRs. Previously I was paying $155.28 (which was getting Expanded Basic + 4 digital packs + Showtime + 2 HD DVRs). I was able to trim off 3 digital packs & Showtime, keep the variety digital pack, the 2 HD DVRs, and the standard internet for roughly $126.37/mo (the prices include franchise fees). I was told that the new price will last for a year and I can't complain now. I'm paying $4.13 a day for home entertainment, which was previously $5.09 a day. On top of that I realized that I never watched Showtime and the majority of the channels I watched in the digital packs were in variety digital pack, so I still get ESPN U, MLB Network, Planet Green, and Science Channel.

DRB

bookertdub, how did you get the lower price? did you have to tell them you were going to cancel cable first?

DRB said:
bookertdub, how did you get the lower price? did you have to tell them you were going to cancel cable first?
Well, I called them up, mentioned what AT&T was offering, their u-verse 200 package + 12mbps, for 2 tvs for $100/mo for 6 months. And got referred to retentions and was able to work out a more economical price. Don't get me wrong, $126.37/mo is still a lot of money, but I was able to keep the 2 DVRs and the internet service. So in the end, I have expanded basic + variety tier + 2 HD DVRs + standard internet with Power boost.

Rick Shaw

bookertdub said:
DRB said:
Well, I called them up, mentioned what AT&T was offering, their u-verse 200 package + 12mbps, for 2 tvs for $100/mo for 6 months.
Out of curiosity, what does AT&T charge for that package after six months?

In the neighborhood of $143/mo (not sure if taxes & fees are included though). On top of that I still get to keep internet that is free of bandwidth caps at least for the time being. I know that Time Warner Cable's days of cap free internet will come to an end. What date that is? I don't know yet.

DRB

TWC should offer the same 12 month deals for good regular customers like they do for new customers.
They have a 12 month deal for new customers for a double play with HD-DVR + expanded basic + variety tier and standard internet (10mbps) for $90.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
DRB said:
TWC should offer the same 12 month deals for good regular customers like they do for new customers.
They have a 12 month deal for new customers for a double play with HD-DVR + expanded basic + variety tier and standard internet (10mbps) for $90.
Agreed!

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I just purchased a Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe so I should be able to save around $8 on my bill.

Nile

Admin65 said:
I just purchased a Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe so I should be able to save around $8 on my bill.
I've been looking at the Ceton unit too. But I need to understand whether other computers on my local network can view most of the channels in Enhanced Tier as-is, or whether they can only be viewed via Windows Media Center Extender devices due to the CCI flag being set to something other than 0x00 (copy freely).

I don't intend to change my hardware investment in the half dozen computers in my house to support ad hoc streaming live video. I'll only accept at most a software app for that requirement.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I use it on my Quad Core PC running W7 Media Center. My TA was updated to f.1601 aka 1.0.0.1601.