Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

39.1 Streaming data appears to have dropped by 1/2 the first week of January.

bigbillsd

It appears that the stream from channel 39.1 decreased in size the first week of January this year. Possibly after the outages reported in another thread i just read.
I use Sagetv DVR to record shows and was transcoding "Blindspot" from the Mpeg2 to Mpeg4 to save some diskspace. I noticed that some of the transcoded files were much smaller than the rest. Assuming my transcoding script had an issue i started looking at the source files and noticed that last month the source files had gone from a consistent 6.6 GB per hour to 3.9 GB per hour, even the show recorded this week. I just checked a few other shows on that channel and they did the same thing. xetvdt shows did not change, nor did kfmbdt Any know what happened? Were they making room for telemundo? -Bill

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
It appears that the stream from channel 39.1 decreased in size the first week of January this year. Possibly after the outages reported in another thread i just read.
I use Sagetv DVR to record shows and was transcoding "Blindspot" from the Mpeg2 to Mpeg4 to save some diskspace. I noticed that some of the transcoded files were much smaller than the rest. Assuming my transcoding script had an issue i started looking at the source files and noticed that last month the source files had gone from a consistent 6.6 GB per hour to 3.9 GB per hour, even the show recorded this week. I just checked a few other shows on that channel and they did the same thing. xetvdt shows did not change, nor did kfmbdt Any know what happened? Were they making room for telemundo? -Bill
Correct, as KNSD is fitting in 2HD + 2SD on one 8VSB carrier. Yes, there is a 2nd HD subchannel on 39.2 called TELX-HD and yes I think that will be the Telemundo subchannel. KFMB is also planning on lowering their PQ with the arrival of the CW as that may very well be an HD subchannel on 8.3.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Arrival of the CW? Isn't that already on 6.1? Previously on 69... BTW. What is PQ?
PQ is Picture Quality.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/tv/sd-et-television-20170126-story.html

There are a couple of threads on this issue, one in the XETV forum and the other in the KFMB forum. Yes it is true that KFMB will be carrying CW on 8.3 as XETV will no longer air CW on May 31, but will end local news on March 31. XETV will then become a Spanish station (Gala TV) aimed at the Tijuana market. The reason for this is that Bay City owes money and the CW probably offered too much for XETV to continue on as an affiliate.