Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

AntennaTV to start Jan 1, 2011 !

joem

The good news about AntennaTV (69-2) is that on weekdays it will have an 8 hour block of movies. The bad news is that it will start at 5 am, too early !

The rest of the programming is sitcoms, which I don't watch (maybe Benny Hill, though).

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like ThisTV will move to 69.3 since AntennaTV will be 69.2. Even if KSWB didn't have any subchannels, it wouldn't have mattered as Fox gives their affiliates enough room for a subchannel or 2.

DRB

69.2 already shows a screen telling about AntennaTV coming soon and that ThisTV has moved to 69.3

Wonder if the bitrates will suffer though with two sub-channels?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Probably around 1 to 2 mbps. I do think the quality will suffer slightly or KSWB might have the equipment to rate shape the splicer, even though Fox doesn't allow it. There are ways to do that.

Fox has already rolled out the new Splicer 2.0 and they are now moving on to Phase 2 which has already started. Phase 2 will allow for weather alerts while in HD mode. The old splicer required you to go into SD mode in order to display weather alerts.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Last time I checked KSWB-DT, they were running at 15.1 mbps for the main channel which is about right for Fox. Fox uses VBR, which is hard to predict how much they would need for the sub channels. I wouldn't expect no more than 1.5 mbps, if not less. If KSWB does decide to rate shape the splicer, then it can be bad. KSWB has been doing ok lately for HD programming. I haven't seen them screw up by going into SD mode.

JimboG

If KSWB keeps sending the full data payload from FOX for the main programming and then uses statistical multiplexing to steal between 69.2 and 69.3 then things needn't be too bad.

I'll take some occasional macroblocking on one of the two secondary channels from time to time in exchange for an unmolested feed of FOX sports and primetime.

Let's hope KSWB can get the word to Tribune Media Service that THIS TV has moved to 69.3

Satch

RE: Antenna TV to start Jan 1, 2011 !

What's good about Antenna TV is, (and I heard this over at Sitcoms On-Line:)

1.) They will not have any station logo during programing.

2.) No split screens

3.) No credit crunches

4.) They won't do any editing or time-compression. (Anything edited will come from the distributer.)

Jack

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
JimboG said:
If KSWB keeps sending the full data payload from FOX for the main programming and then uses statistical multiplexing to steal between 69.2 and 69.3 then things needn't be too bad.

I'll take some occasional macroblocking on one of the two secondary channels from time to time in exchange for an unmolested feed of FOX sports and primetime.

Let's hope KSWB can get the word to Tribune Media Service that THIS TV has moved to 69.3
I've e-mailed Zap2it a few times for channel lineup changes. It's not that hard for them to do.

Fox also uses VBR on their HD feed, so good statmuxing will be needed to run 2 subchannels. Then again, some Fox affiliates are going to be running MobileDTV alongside their HD feed and SD subchannel.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Antenna TV to start Jan 1, 2011 !

Satch said:
What's good about Antenna TV is, (and I heard this over at Sitcoms On-Line:)

1.) They will not have any station logo during programing.

2.) No split screens

3.) No credit crunches

4.) They won't do any editing or time-compression. (Anything edited will come from the distributer.)

Jack
Sounds good but TWC San Diego will probably never carry it as they don't seem to carry ThisTV.

Mike Mantle

I noticed today that I have this channel on Ch 127 on Cox. Looking through the guide, it looks like it has a lot of old shows that I will enjoy. It seems to be sort of like TV Land. Cox also has added ThisTV on Ch 128.

sdwulfdawg

By now you would think that KSWB would have their PSIP running for their channels and listings available, or at least my digital converter is not picking up the info. Overall I really like Antenna TV. What makes it ironic is the Tribune Media Services is a major distributor of television channel listings in various forms.

joem

Well, given that AntennaTV is a new start-up, they could at least put their movie listings for the day on a splash screen as ThisTV does now.

Mike Mantle

It could be that the local station doesn't have its multiplexer set up yet to pass that part of PSIP. I see the listings in the Cox guide but of course that isn't PSIP derived.