Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Any idea when DOCSIS 3 is coming?

ttweed

New Member
Admin65 said:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/sandiego-desertcities/learn/hso/roadrunner/internetplans.html

No 30/5 for San Diego, but Wideband is now being listed. It's mentioned in the internet plans section. It's a 50/5 tier, and might not be available in all areas. You also get a crappy modem/router combo, that can be set into bridge mode, if you want to use your own router.
I called TWC today to ask about Signature Home service and whether it included wideband internet, and they said it does, but the fastest service is not available in my area. I would get just a 30Mbps service w/ SH, not the 50 Mbps. They even had a different name for it rather than "Wideband," but a 30/5 tier doesn't show in the chart linked above?

I'm confused.

TT
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
TWC San Diego now mentions an Extreme tier. It's a D3.0 tier, so you will need to swap out your modem for one of their DOCSIS 3.0 modem/router combos. Of course, you can set the Modem to bridge mode, if you prefer to use your own router.
 

dirtyblueshirt

New Member
Admin65 said:
TWC San Diego now mentions an Extreme tier. It's a D3.0 tier, so you will need to swap out your modem for one of their DOCSIS 3.0 modem/router combos. Of course, you can set the Modem to bridge mode, if you prefer to use your own router.
Do you have a DOCSIS 3 modem, or do you know if TWC is using channel bonding like Cox is?
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
No, I own an old SB 4100 modem, but I probably should swap it out for a better one.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I want to get a new modem some day, but I don't subscribe to a D3.0 tier. I have the standard 10/1 tier. I'm thinking about getting Turbo which is a 15/2 tier and it includes powerboost.
 

dirtyblueshirt

New Member
Admin65 said:
I want to get a new modem some day, but I don't subscribe to a D3.0 tier. I have the standard 10/1 tier. I'm thinking about getting Turbo which is a 15/2 tier and it includes powerboost.
That's the nice thing about channel bonding. I technically have a 50/5 connection, but with channel bonding, I can surpass that with averages of 65-75 Mbps. With channel bonding at 10 Mbps, you might get speeds of 15-25 Mbps.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Well I get that with powerboost, and TWC provides the modem. I'll see what they offer for modems, if I upgrade to Turbo.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
None, as it's included in the service. The current modems for non D3.0 customers are D2.0 modems. I don't think they offer D3.0 modems without the router.
 
I am considering going to the TW 30/5 Extreme. Anyone know their current modem/routers for San Diego? I understand you can set the TW modem/router to Bridge Mode and use my own Belkin N750. The Belkin has 4 Ethernet ports and a modem port. How do I connect the TW modem/router to the Belkin? Do I just connect an Ethernet cable from a router port on the TW device to the modem port of my Belkin router? Can I even selfinstall this?
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
TWC uses a uBee or a Motorola SBG6580 modem for Extreme/Wideband customers, though they could be testing a SB6141 for those that do not want the Modem/Router combo.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
fblack_111,

http://www.timewarnercable.com/sandiego-desertcities/support/topic.ashx/Approved+Customer+Device+List

Here is the list of approved modems. If you want just a plain modem, get the Motorola SB6141 as it is compatible with Extreme and it does not include a Router.
 

dirtyblueshirt

New Member
I'm moving to Anaheim tomorrow. Time Warner services there, but tops off at 20 Mbps. It'll be a bummer to switch from 50 to 20 Mbps.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
DOCSIS 3.0 is in most of SoCal (LA/Orange County), but 76 percent of TWC is D3.0. You will get it eventually.
 
I saw on stopthecap.com that Time Warner Cable is going to start charging a modem rental fee in a short time. So I'm thinking about buying a modem, now I have Time Warner Cable's basic internet service which only needs a DOCSIS 2.0 minimum, however, I'm thinking about getting Motorola SB6141 which has DOCSIS 3.0 for temporary future proofing. I'm not expecting an speed increase since I'm not paying for a faster tier, however will a DOCSIS 3.0 modem work on DOCSIS 2.0 system? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 

jay214128

Member
bookertdub said:
I saw on stopthecap.com that Time Warner Cable is going to start charging a modem rental fee in a short time. So I'm thinking about buying a modem, now I have Time Warner Cable's basic internet service which only needs a DOCSIS 2.0 minimum, however, I'm thinking about getting Motorola SB6141 which has DOCSIS 3.0 for temporary future proofing. I'm not expecting an speed increase since I'm not paying for a faster tier, however will a DOCSIS 3.0 modem work on DOCSIS 2.0 system? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I switched from DSL to TW Cable for my internet in July and purchased the Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem from Amazon. So far it has worked fine. I'm only using it for their basic (3Mbps) internet, so it is a bit overkill.
 
Thanks for the info jay214128, I already went ahead and bought the Motorola Surfboard SB 6141on Amazon.com, including shipping, I got it for $114.99, and for the time being, still no sales tax. While you might think the modem you have is overkill for for the internet service you have, it's not a bad idea to future proof. By the way, I've heard nothing but great things about the SB 6141.
 
Top