Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Any TWC Navigator Updates/News?

Satch

Admin65 said:
Probably would be the week after thanksgiving.
Other divisions got a software patch that now shows the correct DVR % used, and possible resolution of the 30-40 days search slowdown bug. The patch took like 1-2 hours to apply. Could be a prep for ODN 6.0. Same version for them currently at ODN 5.2.09.

Satch

DRB

In the current Navigator firmware version for my Cisco 8642HDC DVR, it appears to need a cold reboot about once a week.
After about a week it will start to slow down in response to remote key commands and then will stop responding completely - requiring a full reboot (unplug/plug power cord) at that point to get back to normal.
Sounds like the current firmware has a slow memory leak bug perhaps?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
DRB said:
In the current Navigator firmware version for my Cisco 8642HDC DVR, it appears to need a cold reboot about once a week.
After about a week it will start to slow down in response to remote key commands and then will stop responding completely - requiring a full reboot (unplug/plug power cord) at that point to get back to normal.
This is especially apparent on my Samsung 3272 DVR. This is a known issue and the developers are looking into it. I know ODN v6.0 is in testing in some areas and should be deployed soon. That version has various DVR and SDV fixes as well as Cloud services.

Satch

Admin65 said:
DRB said:
This is especially apparent on my Samsung 3272 DVR. This is a known issue and the developers are looking into it. I know ODN v6.0 is in testing in some areas and should be deployed soon. That version has various DVR and SDV fixes as well as Cloud services.
I am pretty sure the patch update below fixes that. Question is, will San Diego apply that patch, or just wait for ODN 6.0?

Satch
[hr]
Satch said:
Admin65 said:
Probably would be the week after thanksgiving.
Other divisions got a software patch that now shows the correct DVR % used, and possible resolution of the 30-40 days search slowdown bug. The patch took like 1-2 hours to apply. Could be a prep for ODN 6.0. Same version for them currently at ODN 5.2.09.

Satch
This appears to be a patch fix for current Navigator issues and a prep for ODN 6.0

Satch

DRB

That software patch only refers to a 30-40 day "search slowdown bug"
The issue I see on my HD-DVR is not related to search, its just slow response to any remote key commands like pause, fast forward, etc. that occurs after about a week (much shorter than 30-40days) since a reboot, and then soon afterward stops responding to keys completely requiring a full reboot to restore normal operation.
Is there any reference to fixing the one week key lockup issue specifically?

Satch

DRB said:
That software patch only refers to a 30-40 day "search slowdown bug"
The issue I see on my HD-DVR is not related to search, its just slow response to any remote key commands like pause, fast forward, etc. that occurs after about a week (much shorter than 30-40days) since a reboot, and then soon afterward stops responding to keys completely requiring a full reboot to restore normal operation.
Is there any reference to fixing the one week key lockup issue specifically?
A customer reported that his DVR did show the correct percent of space used after this update. I heard that this patch does speed up the process in searching and channel changing. One tech told a customer that the update fixes slow responses on the boxes, in addition to the monthly or so slowdown bug.

We will have to see what if any updates hit San Diego in the next couple of weeks. I think you are going to be getting some improvement in the slowness very soon. My source also thinks its a prep for ODN 6.0.

Satch

DRB

I noticed that the USA HD channel (formerly on 734) appears to have disappeared yesterday, only the USA SD channel (34) still exists on the guide.
Is this a Navigator version glitch?

DRB said:
I noticed that the USA HD channel (formerly on 734) appears to have disappeared yesterday, only the USA SD channel (34) still exists on the guide.
Is this a Navigator version glitch?

734 shows up just fine on my cable box this morning, And NFL Network is still on 890 but the guide does not name it.

DRB

Yes I noticed USA-HD (734) finally reappeared late last night - just in time to record the new episode of Burn Notice my DVR missed recording Thursday night when 734 was gone.

Channel 890 has been showing the NFL Network HD channel for a month or more, don't know why since NFL network HD has another properly named channel allocated for it already.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
There are probably no 3D events on now, but maybe later they will start showing them after football season is over.

DRB

The only time I saw TWC used channel 890 for a special 3D event in the past year was for the London Summer Olympics 3D coverage back in August, since then nada.

ttweed

DRB said:
I have experienced this same sort of slowdown in response with my SA 8300HDC box, but not with the 8300HD in the bedroom. The latest ODN version software seems to be more broken than the MDN, which responds much faster to key inputs. The HDC box will get so bad that you don't know if you pressed the key or not, and then you repeat it or issue another command, and nothing happens for literally minutes, then the first command actuates, and then in several minutes, the second does. This is infuriating, especially when "time-shifting" and trying to FF through ads, and the only solution is to reboot the box.

This problem was worse a month or so ago, so maybe a patch has been applied? I haven't had to reboot in a couple weeks now, but the ODN box is still definitely slower in responding to remote commands than the MDN box. The good news is that both of them are now accepting eSATA expansion drives to increase storage, which was not possible only a year or so ago.

TT

Satch

Syracuse New York just got Navigator 6.0. Reported Speed improvements and "Subscribed Channels" list added to the guide filter. Hope this will address the reliability issues that have been reported.

Satch

ttweed

ttweed said:
I haven't had to reboot in a couple weeks now...
Wouldn't you know it, after I wrote this I had a full-blown DVR slowdown this evening that was so aggravating I had to reboot the 8300HDC box. It seemed to be triggered when I was time-shifting a live show, FF'ing through some ads, at the same time a scheduled recording started at exactly 7:00PM. I could not stop the fast-forwarding and go back to play as the remote did not seem to control the DVR at all as the new recording started. The ODN software can't walk and chew gum at the same time, it appears. I sure hope they put out an update soon and it fixes this problem!

TT

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is the most viewed and the most replied to thread of this site, so keep up the good work!

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently Samsung has a new OCAP gateway with 6 tuners. Model number is SMT-H4372 and has a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. It can also transcode programs which other gateways can do. Motorola and Cisco have similar products as well.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
This device would be used to replace your DVR and modem. I think this device is to be used as the central box and then have IP client boxes that hook up to this box.

malaugh

ttweed said:
I have experienced this same sort of slowdown in response with my SA 8300HDC box, but not with the 8300HD in the bedroom. The latest ODN version software seems to be more broken than the MDN, which responds much faster to key inputs. The HDC box will get so bad that you don't know if you pressed the key or not, and then you repeat it or issue another command, and nothing happens for literally minutes, then the first command actuates, and then in several minutes, the second does. This is infuriating, especially when "time-shifting" and trying to FF through ads, and the only solution is to reboot the box.
My problem exactly. I have to reboot every week or the key strokes get delayed by minutes. I am a software engineer, and this is a classic symptom of memory leaks (where memory is used but never freed).

Are Time Warner working on a fix?
Is it worthwhile replacing my ancient 8300HD cable box?