Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Any TWC Navigator Updates/News?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
There are newer boxes available, but the Cisco is the fastest or at least my 8642HDC is. Samsungs also suffer from memory leaks. My Samsung 3272 can get real slow at times. My Cisco 8642HDC and Samsung 3272 have a 500 GB HDD, and there are Motorola DCX-M boxes with a 500 GB HDD as well. If you have a eSATA drive on your 8300HD, then keep it, but TWC San Diego is slowly starting to phase out the 8300HD, but there are 8300HD's out there, if you desire eSATA.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
My 8642HDC started having some performance issues, so I rebooted and it seems to work ok.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I saw an app called ADB in the diag menus. It is not running but could be advanced search.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Satch

More Reports of ODN 6.0 being rolled out to more areas

Rochester New York got it a few days ago. A few new features:

1.) Guide Filtering adds view Subscribed Channels only as an option in the time grid.
2.) You can change the color scheme back to the old guide.
3.) Cloud service preparation and speed enhancements with this upgrade.

Satch

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Some parts of NYC are getting ODN 6.0, but not all areas have it as it is a unique cluster of systems. Each borough is has its own headend.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/time-warner-cable-deploy-souped-dvr-second-half-2013/2013-01-31

Info on the new gateway with 6 tuners and a new cloud based guide.

Admin65 said:
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/time-warner-cable-deploy-souped-dvr-second-half-2013/2013-01-31

While the COO said he wants the new Souped UP DVR so TW can compete better against Dish and DirecTV and he wants to lower cable subscriber loses; he never said anything about the prices for the new equipment. TW has a history of rolling out a service at a promotional rate, then "sticking it" to the customers down the road. Last months bill already spoke of equipment and package rate increases. If they want to limit cord cutters and defections, they need to treat longer time customers with some of the same deals and special pricing that they give to new customers. And stop the nickel and dime-ing throughout the year.

Satch

fblack_111 said:
Admin65 said:

While the COO said he wants the new Souped UP DVR so TW can compete better against Dish and DirecTV and he wants to lower cable subscriber loses; he never said anything about the prices for the new equipment. TW has a history of rolling out a service at a promotional rate, then "sticking it" to the customers down the road. Last months bill already spoke of equipment and package rate increases. If they want to limit cord cutters and defections, they need to treat longer time customers with some of the same deals and special pricing that they give to new customers. And stop the nickel and dime-ing throughout the year.
My prediction,

The new DVR's will be buggy as hell, take two years to get up to any kind of reliability standards, and will probably only be for Whole Home Subs. TWC has had YEARS to consider swapping out the current DVR's, but won't, because it will cost too much.

The new DVR's will still run Navigator. The older boxes will be updated as needed and the intrastructure for cable TV will be just as discombobulated as it is now.

It's a nice idea in theory, but the reality is it's much too late to compete with the competition.

Satch

PS. This is more "Pie in the Sky" from TWC.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I found a bug in odn 5.2 where the vod program will stop and keep playing in the preview window. This happens on my Cisco 8642.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Admin65 said:
I found a bug in odn 5.2 where the vod program will stop and keep playing in the preview window. This happens on my Cisco 8642.

And I have seen my Cisco DVR not turn on more and more. At least once or twice a week it will just stay off when I press the Power on button. It takes a reboot and it works for a few more days. Then no turn on again. I suppose I could always keep it on, but I have my system set up so my wife just hits one button and it turns on or off the audio receiver, TV and Cable box.

Rick Shaw

fblack_111 said:
Admin65 said:

And I have seen my Cisco DVR not turn on more and more. At least once or twice a week it will just stay off when I press the Power on button. It takes a reboot and it works for a few more days. Then no turn on again. I suppose I could always keep it on, but I have my system set up so my wife just hits one button and it turns on or off the audio receiver, TV and Cable box.
Is this using the front panel ON/OFF button? Or is it just using the remote control ON/OFF button? If the latter, it could be bad stand-by voltage to the IR circuit. Or something as simple as a weak remote sending LED. Have you tried a different remote? DVR model number?

I don't know if anybody saw this, but TWC is now the *only* San Diego provider not carrying Fox Sports San Diego. That's right, Dish signed an agreement to carry it.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/feb/07/tp-dish-deal-leaves-twc-as-lone-padres-holdout/

Rick Shaw said:
fblack_111 said:
Admin65 said:

Is this using the front panel ON/OFF button? Or is it just using the remote control ON/OFF button? If the latter, it could be bad stand-by voltage to the IR circuit. Or something as simple as a weak remote sending LED. Have you tried a different remote? DVR model number?
Thanks. I will check it out with my other TW remote and test the batteries. But as an FYI, the TV and my Denon receiver both turn on fine with the TW remote with one button press, but the Cable box stays off.

Rick Shaw

fblack_111 said:
Rick Shaw said:
fblack_111 said:
Admin65 said:

Thanks. I will check it out with my other TW remote and test the batteries. But as an FYI, the TV and my Denon receiver both turn on fine with the TW remote with one button press, but the Cable box stays off.
I'll ask again about whether or not using the box ON/OFF button results in the same symptoms. Also, the "box" model number, as Cisco is now using 57MHz IR circuits as well as 38MHz IR circuits.

Rick Shaw said:
fblack_111 said:
Rick Shaw said:
fblack_111 said:
Admin65 said:

I'll ask again about whether or not using the box ON/OFF button results in the same symptoms. Also, the "box" model number, as Cisco is now using 57MHz IR circuits as well as 38MHz IR circuits.
I have the 8640. I actually have two remotes set to one button "on" for my wife. One is a standard TW remote the other is a different brand stand alone remote. When the Box problem occurs, neither remote will turn on the box. Just the Time is shown and maybe an extra light or two in the display screen. The TV and Receiver will go on. Nor will the cable box go on with a single button press of Cable + Power on the TW remote. It's been a few days, but as I recall pressing the power button on the front of the box will not work either. So I just turn the power strip on and off to reset the box and it works for a few more days. I will pay closer attention next time it happens.

Satch

Known Bugs:

On the SA-8300HDC, and the Samsungs, there is slowness and latency in scrolling and searching in 30-45 day cycles. Users with these boxes or this issue, please report this to the TWC Direct to Tech forum with your name, account number, address, and box type/model. You can give a description of the issue at this secure forum here:

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

My SA-8300HDC has a bug where if you just come out of the deleting of a recording, instead of powering off when the power button is pressed, it will pause. You have to wait about 20 seconds or so and than the Power button turns off the box. Sometimes pressing the power button a second time in this instance resolves this issue.

TWC plans a six tuner DVR for the summer. HOWEVER, ROLL-OUTS WILL BE BASED ON INDEPENDENT DIVISION AND NODE READINESS. It will have the planned cloud based VOD and expanded search on it. (Navigator ODN 6.0) It may take a long time for the little bugs to get worked out of it. I don't know makes and models yet, will post in this thread when I find out. Some offices will only give out the newest boxes to Whole Home DVR subscribers.

At first, only the newest boxes. (Ciscos and Samsungs and newest Motorollas) will have the cloud-based guide. It will still be Navigator-based. TWC wants to move the legacy boxes to a cloud based system to free up memory. It is believed that only ODN boxes will be expanded or enhanced as MDN contines to become rarer and rarer.

Inside sources say look for continued enhances in mobile technology Integration, possible Cell Phone/Smart Phone plans for Digital Phone, and a Theme-Based line-up for divisions that don't have it, as services try to get more "uniform."

Satch

As per my previous posts, this morning my Cisco box would not turn on. The Receiver and TV turned on but the DVR seemed stuck. I then tried the power button on the Cisco DVR box. The display window on the DVR showed the tiny round power light was on. The Resolution was lighted and at 480P and the Clock Time was lit. I only have my DVR set for a 1080i resolution too in the settings. So I had no choice but to unplug the DVR (actually turn the power strip off and on) and it rebooted. Then it worked fine again.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
6 Months for a new Navigator version, and that means TWC wants to go to a more rapid release system like Chrome and Firefox.

Satch

Admin65 said:
6 Months for a new Navigator version, and that means TWC wants to go to a more rapid release system like Chrome and Firefox.
That's what I heard through the grapevine as well. I also heard that some areas of New York have ODN 7 in their diagnostic screens, which means it's in Beta for TWC employees to test. (In those New York Markets) I am going to try to find out what new features are in version 7. AFAIK, version 6 just adds the Subscribed Channel filter option to the Time Grid and the option to change the color scheme to the old Navigator look. Well, sort of, the background remains black.

Satch