Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Any TWC Navigator Updates/News?

Danabw

Thanks for the details, Holl_ands...with the French Open coming up I'm going to have to be very careful about monitoring those recordings. Do NOT want to miss out on a big match!

holl_ands

As of this morning, the "SEARCH" database was finally populated, so I'm hoping the
Guide problems I saw yesterday will settle out today....or perhaps in a few days...

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
MDN v3.0 adds

Guide Filtering
Favorites Menu
3 different Guide viewing options
RIOT interactive TV

ODN v4.1 will add all that and then some. ODN v4.1 might have rumored WH-DVR enhancements like being able to remotely record or delete shows on the client boxes.

Satch

Admin65 said:
MDN v3.0 adds

Guide Filtering
Favorites Menu
3 different Guide viewing options
RIOT interactive TV

ODN v4.1 will add all that and then some. ODN v4.1 might have rumored WH-DVR enhancements like being able to remotely record or delete shows on the client boxes.
Is the Guide Filter only available as a temporary option during the Search? (At this time, you can't store changes permanently?)

I think Riot is going to either be some I-Pod Applet, or something to do with Remote DVR Manager, or both!

ODN 4.1 is rumored to have the ability to record shows on the HD channel automatically, which can be changed in settings. I have also heard unconfirmed reports of a laminated channel banner control, (No idea how that will work) and that WH-DVR option of deleting shows on the STB stated above. All of the features from MDN 3.0 should also come out in 4.1.

I heard reports that if you go to the Info page on some divisions that there is a Tribune Media Services Copyright notice at the end of program descriptions in MDN 3.0. If so, I think that is stupid! TWC could have incorporated more expanded guide data, rather than 1-2 lines of text for a copyright notice!

For those of you with ODN boxes to compare, is the guide data complete on MDN 3.0 like it has been for quite some time on ODN? Do you get Original Air-Date for shows going back to 1970, actors and directors in movie descriptions, and Season Premier and Season Finale in Guide Info when appropriate? That's how ODN works.

MDN always showed the year for old series before and after 1970. Like for classic sitcoms say, Gilligan's Island, the IPG on MDN would show (1965) and than the episode description. On ODN, you just get an episode description for a series before 1970. But for a series after 1970, you get a description and an original air-date.

Movies show just about everything, The year, actors, full description, category, and almost always the director.

Jack

DRB

holl_ands said:
As of this morning, the "SEARCH" database was finally populated, so I'm hoping the
Guide problems I saw yesterday will settle out today....or perhaps in a few days...
Yes, I noticed that as well. Seemed to take nearly 24 hours for the DVR to get back in sync with upcoming recordings in the list.
My series recordings now all show for the upcoming 7 days in the recording list now, thank goodness!

holl_ands

re. MDN v.3.0:

Guide can be filtered to display (just) High Definition channels...or favorites,
but it takes a SECOND Guide button press and it doesn't "stick"...you have to
do it every time you display the Guide.

As I mentioned above, going into the additional options menu to mark a program
to NEVER DELETE seems to work but doesn't actually set the NEVER DELETE icon
until you EXIT those menus and select LIST again.
[Don't they ever TEST their software????? This is just SSSTTTUUUUPPPIIIDDDDD.....]

The Tribune Corporation Copywright notice takes an ENTIRE LINE away from ALL
of the program displays....yuck!!!!! Surely there is a better way......

DRB

holl_ands said:
re. MDN v.3.0:
Yeah - couldn't they give credit to Tribune on bootup once instead of on every program listing?

Satch

DRB said:
holl_ands said:
re. MDN v.3.0:
Yeah - couldn't they give credit to Tribune on bootup once instead of on every program listing?
+1!

Jack

DRB

My SA8300HD with the new Navigator version correctly recorded all my scheduled series recordings for tonight.
However first I thought it wasn't recording because the DVR front panel red "recording" light wasn't on at the time.
But I checked and it was indeed recording if I verified on the TV display.

Too bad that was changed for this version though. With the previous Navigator versions, it was always good to be able to see and verify the DVR was recording quickly without having to turn on the TV to check. Why would they not use the red light? Was that an oversight?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Weaselboy said:
Do you have any time frame on this and a feature list?

Thanks for the update.
OCAP boxes should be getting the update soon I hope. I would say in a month or two.

Satch

AVS forums reports that Central New York got ODN Navigator 4.1 on the SA/Cisco and Samsung boxes.

Jack

Satch

New York City with the new Navigator ODN 4.1.06 reports of no guide filtering on ODN 4.1, or expanded Favorite Channels List. (These features are only in MDN 3.0.) However, ODN 4.1 adds:

DVR Compensation
4x Fast-Forwarding
Integrated Menus Embed in Channel Banner
3D Channel Options (not sure what this is about)
Improved Speed/Navigation
Presumed HDMI compatibility fixes.

I think we may be seeing potentially more guide filtering and search options for ODN in the next build. MDN 3.0 (aside from bug fixes) will be the last-update for legacy non-C and non-Samsung boxes. All guide enhancements and feature improvements will run on the newer OCAP (ODN) C-based Samsung/Cisco/Motorolla boxes from this point forward. The reason is because they don't make the legacy boxes anymore.

Which is ironic, because the legacy MDN boxes boxes at or above SA/Cisco 3000 for non-DVR or SA/Cisco above 8000 for DVR, although older, still seem to be faster and more responsive than the new SA/Cisco's running OCAP, The OCAP based Samsungs are pretty fast in most areas, but the 3270 reports of some HDMI issues. (Might have been fixed in ODN 4.1) and I have heard reports of some intermittent issues with VOD. However, the speed and reliability of the ODN platform is getting better with each release.

Jack

DRB

Satch said:
the legacy MDN boxes boxes at or above SA/Cisco 3000 for non-DVR or SA/Cisco above 8000 for DVR, although older, still seem to be faster and more responsive than the new SA/Cisco's running OCAP
Thats why I've stuck with my trusty old model SA8300HD for years. :)

Satch

DRB said:
Satch said:
the legacy MDN boxes boxes at or above SA/Cisco 3000 for non-DVR or SA/Cisco above 8000 for DVR, although older, still seem to be faster and more responsive than the new SA/Cisco's running OCAP
Thats why I've stuck with my trusty old model SA8300HD for years. :)
:)

Jack