Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Any TWC Navigator Updates/News?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
The search function works more like the old search on the legacy boxes and it shows the current show and even actors/actresses.

Satch

The search function works more like the old search on the legacy boxes and it shows the current show and even actors/actresses.
Thanks Admin,
The B button search functionality was long overdue! Didn't the guide filter always show what you had set in the Time Grid in the left corner? Is the filter still there on the search screens? A TWC rep told me that they were thinking of removing the filter on the search screens and have it default to "All." If search filters are still there, are the options still "All", "Title", "Cast", "Sports", "Channel?" Any changes to the DVR Manager system?

Satch

Last edited:

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
There is no pull down menu in the search menu, to select which search feature you want. Yes it defaults to all. Have not really noticed the guide filter on the guide menu. Dvr manager looks pretty identical, but I need to look at that in more detail.

Seems to me originally the B button search was for future TV programs on the cable channels. I tested a search yesterday and it returned some $4.99 pay per view shows too. Maybe it's done that for a while, but when I search for an episode of a TV show I don't want to include "Pay" programming as well.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe there should a be a filter, to have the search not show pay programming. I believe there will be more updates to Navigator in the near future, and TWC is supposedly listening to your feedback when making these new releases.

Satch

I hope the keyboard is "smarter" in this release. Too much programing, especially live sports shows where not being picked up by the keyboard.Even though it showed in the Time Grid. If the show is in the system, the keyboard should be able to find the content. Another release is coming out this fall.

Satch

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I think ODN 7.4 is the update for the fall, but 7.3.2_20 seems to be a good update. Though the search function does not always show what is currently on, but maybe a reboot could fix that, but I do not feel like doing so. Maybe it only happens at random.

Satch

I think ODN 7.4 is the update for the fall, but 7.3.2_20 seems to be a good update. Though the search function does not always show what is currently on, but maybe a reboot could fix that, but I do not feel like doing so. Maybe it only happens at random.
I think the future of Navigator is going to be all cloud based technology. The big thing might even be an ODN 7.5 or even down the road an ODN 8.0. (and beyond). I could see TWC working on an update where all shows and series are stored in the cloud. When you have to swap out a box, once that box is authorized to your account, the shows and series you have saved come with it! (Maybe even box settings down the road.) Long term, I predict that everything will go to the cloud and the boxes will be little more than relay terminals. I could see Remote DVR Manager doing more things in the future as well.

Satch

DRB

I think the future of Navigator is going to be all cloud based technology. The big thing might even be an ODN 7.5 or even down the road an ODN 8.0. (and beyond). I could see TWC working on an update where all shows and series are stored in the cloud. When you have to swap out a box, once that box is authorized to your account, the shows and series you have saved come with it! (Maybe even box settings down the road.) Long term, I predict that everything will go to the cloud and the boxes will be little more than relay terminals. I could see Remote DVR Manager doing more things in the future as well.

Satch
At that point just a single type of box would offer the capability of a DVR but would really just be a simple cable box using on-demand custom program streaming?
TWC's smart tv app could then have that capability and you wouldn't need any rented box (just a TWC internet connection, wifi or wired) with a supported Smart TV or Roku device.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Charter has been working on a Cloud based UI, and aims to do just that once the merger is completed. Navigator will be replaced with SkyUI/Spectrum guide and they found a way to run on just about every single cable box known to man kind. Older boxes can run a cloud based UI, through an interactive QAM channel while the newer boxes can run it from the cloud. Basically the guide would become a fancy website and the boxes would be relay terminals using a web browser. A cloud based UI can work on a smart tv or roku or even a game console. Charter and TWC are probably working on it. Not sure if TWC and/or Charter have plans for a cloud based DVR, but even Comcast wants to use a Cloud based DVR instead of eSATA.

I thought I read that some cable companies planned to offer links to other pay content providers like a Roku box. They would then get a small piece of the "cut" to act as the middleman.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure which ones, but Roku is going to be a popular platform going forward for smart set top boxes.

I few weeks ago I read a story about a small cable company who was going to team up with Tivo and offer other streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. I don't think big cable giants will necessarily follow, but I like the concept. I looked further and found this:

US cable operator Wow! reached an agreement with TiVo and hybrid HD STB maker Evolution Digital to develop a non-DVR box using TiVo software and Evolution Digital hardware. Evolution has developed a low-cost STB platform that integrates traditional linear over QAM and broadband services. The STB uses HD uDTA security, eliminating the hardware-based CableCard to allow lower price point options for operators. When combined with TiVo's software, this STB can be deployed in multiple modes. It can be used as a stand-alone HD-STB, a client to a TiVo DVR, or as a client to a next generation cloud TV services such as IP linear and network DVR. The agreement will also see TiVo software used for Wow's iOS, Android and web-based services.

and:
" In an effort to drive down the cost of TV service, a Denver-based cable provider has partnered with TiVo and Centennial’s Evolution Digital to build a low-cost set-top box to offer its customers streaming services along with regular cable TV...."

There's more here. http://blogs.denverpost.com/tech/2015/07/22/new-hybrid-tv-boxes-pave-way-for-cheaper-tv-service/18207/

Has anyone else had HDMI handshake issues since that last update? I have had a new Denon avr for over 6 months. I connect my Cisco DVR to the Denon and then the Denon ARC to my Samsung. For some reason in the last month or so my picture occasionally turns black and the cable box display jumps between the clock, says "2d", and the turn on channel. Then the TV screen may dim out then pop back on after a minute or so. I never had any handshake issues before one of those last updates. Denon claims it's a firmware failure with the cable box.

Rick Shaw

Has anyone else had HDMI handshake issues since that last update? I have had a new Denon avr for over 6 months. I connect my Cisco DVR to the Denon and then the Denon ARC to my Samsung. For some reason in the last month or so my picture occasionally turns black and the cable box display jumps between the clock, says "2d", and the turn on channel. Then the TV screen may dim out then pop back on after a minute or so. I never had any handshake issues before one of those last updates. Denon claims it's a firmware failure with the cable box.
Try going from the cable box directly into the TV. "2d" is the sign that HDMI is attempting a handshake, and the Denon in the loop will only make trouble-shooting more difficult. Cheaper HDMI cables are susceptible to coming loose with minor vibrations, so double-check those, too.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I have also noticed on the VOD portal that there is Metacritic and Common Sense Media ratings on most (if not all) movies and some TV shows.

Try going from the cable box directly into the TV. "2d" is the sign that HDMI is attempting a handshake, and the Denon in the loop will only make trouble-shooting more difficult. Cheaper HDMI cables are susceptible to coming loose with minor vibrations, so double-check those, too.

I believe the issue was with the ARC on the Samsung. I connected the Denon port to HDMI 3 on the TV without ARC and now I have no problems. I did have to re-connect an optical cable since I bypass HDMI sound. It works fine now.