Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Any TWC Navigator Updates/News?

Satch

A Navigator DVR Screen Tip (For Advanced STB With The Auto Search Function)

The newer (non-SA) model DVR's now have B-button auto search restored to the boxes with the opportunity to turn off this feature in Settings. There are also some changes to the DVR Recording/Playback screens that might confuse some people. These instructions will help in setting up recordings on boxes with this update. Here is my tip:

I was a little confused with the new DVR Manager with this upgrade. You have that screen with Yes or No, Do you want to record this show? Well If I am in the DVR Screen, I want to play back or record a show. But what you can do where they have the Yes/No feature and than the record options below that is the following tip. When are in the options sub-menu on the bottom of the screen, just hit the SELECT button on the remote and it will short-cut you back up to the "Do you Want to Record This Show?" prompt. (You don't have to arrow ALL THE WAY BACK UP to select yes or no on a recording option.)

There are still extra button presses that take some getting used to using.

Satch

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I think this should be in the resource manager. I also added a link to the TWC Direct DSLReports forum as well, so those who need help with their TWC services, can get it.

Satch

The keyboard remains unreliable on the advanced search boxes. Here is an example relating to live Boxing Show Content:

1.) Searching for boxing shows on the advanced search keyboard and selecting Boxing-Event is supposed to show two folders that say "Boxing" and nothing else, The top folder contains all boxing shows that are live for the next 7-14 days. The bottom folder is VOD content.

2.) When searching for Boxing-Genre searches two "Boxing" folders must appear with all the other boxing results in a Boxing-Genre search. (Keep these first two scenarios in mind as you follow along.)

3.) Typically from Sunday to Tuesday of any given week the correct boxing live folders show in situations 1 and 2 above.

4.) Typically from Wednesday to Saturday, the live boxing folder vanishes from a Boxing-Event search and is missing from a Boxing-Genere search. In it's place for a Boxing-Event search will be a boxing match that is month's to years old. Live boxing show folder data is being perged from the advanced keyboard system from Wednesday afternoon to Saturday of any given week.

5.) This means that subscribers to HBO, Showtime, even those searching for live boxing shows, on any cable or broadcast network can't do so using the advanced search keyboard from Wednesday to Saturday of any given week because the live boxing folder vanishes by the middle of the week.

6.) Legacy SA boxes with the old title search do not have this problem, neither does TWC On-Line Services or Mobile applications.

7.) Brighthouse Networks, which uses TWC boxes and Navigator Guide software also has this same issue.

8.) I have reported it to both companies, what is being investigated is if this is a listings issue with Tribune Media Services/Gracenote or a TWC guide data issue. In either case, it is hoped that this listing data is fixed. Rate increases are probably going to force me to drop Showtime, but the goal should really be to have the advanced search keyboard system reliable. For several months, if not years, this hasn't been the case.

Satch

Satch

Don't have any further information, (Rumor of a Speed Update Coming.) for "Enhanced DVR's."

A TWC Beta tester who was in the program for new guide releases said that he had an update called Enhanced DVR 3.0 over at the TWC Community Forum. He got out of the Beta program, (The Beta release was very buggy.) He said that he got an update that makes his DVR really fast and snappy, but that some "glitzy" features were removed. He says an automatic update is forthcoming. (The speed boost is not related to the Beta.) He now really likes the speed of his box.

I asked him for more information. Need to find out more of what this "Enhanced 3.0 DVR" will have." We can follow along here:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/Enhanced-DVR-3-0-rocks-now/m-p/86564#M7192

Satch

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Still on ODN v7.3.2_20 and no signs of a new version, but maybe we will see the new version next year.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Upgraded to the new Arris DCX3600-M and it is pretty nice, as I thought my Cisco DVR had HDMI issues, but it tunred out to be a bad HDMI cable. . Still have Samsung DVR which is running really well.

Satch

It will be interesting to see Navigator develop into Spectrum with Charter now at the helm. There was a fall Navigator update planned (last fall) before the merger passed. It will be nice to see Charter's goal gradually implemented. Moving more services to the cloud so that the boxes can do less work. The plan is have the Spectrum Guide be an MP4 type of stream, where the guide is "just another" channel across ALL boxes from legacy SA models, to the new Arris, Cisco, and Samsung units.

World Boxes, defined as a 16-tuner DVR, (WOW) are also being developed. Current Charter subs are very skeptical that we will see them any time soon, claiming that Charter is broke from the merger. My view is I would rather see Charter focus on keeping rates down, than doing more development on the guide. The Guide is pretty good now on the modern boxes! Now, it's just a matter of keeping the technology affordable. People have said Charter's rates are lower than TWC. (No modem fees.) They still charge $10 or so for a Wireless Router if you have Wireless Internet, but everyone I know just buys there own routers.

I like the Arris box! I don't have the DCX-3600-M, but just the regular 2-tuner DCX-4510-M. Admin, it's good that your Samsung DVR works well! I have never had a Samsung box. Only legacy SA, a Cisco, (Which would reboot and get stuck at the worst times- lines and signals were good, box was bad,) and now, the Arris. The Ciscos seem to have the fastest Time Grid scroll, like REALLY FAST! (When we had our Cisco, it was almost hard for my Mother to keep up with the speed of the search in Power Search Mode. (Holding down the key to scroll faster.)

Satch

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Also, that Cisco box would cause certain VOD programs to freeze up! Though I also got a new remote, and it barely works, so I need to swap that out! grr! I found the DCX3600-M to need a couple of calls from TWC tech support to get it to work as it did not want to activate. It took several hits to get it working right and it would sometimes lose interactive capabilities (SDV, VoD, Enhanced TV, etc). Now it is working fine, but it was a real pain in the butt, to get this box to work. Once it works, it is an awesome STB.

motorola870

hmm something is going on! sorry for the long delay of no posts lol nothing happened for a while we are going to ODN 8.0 soon! 8.0.0_21 is the next update showing on my DCX3600 as not loaded so yeah wonder what is in the update also a bunch of HD channels are being added in the MAXX activated areas in the west region that are all digital (TX and CA) but not Hawaii.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps this will include the Charter Logo and some bug fixes for many boxes. Plus, it might include some new features.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
San Diego is now testing ODN v8.0.0_21. So we might be getting the new update soon. Most likely next month as LA is upgrading around September 18. ODN 8 should bring a bunch of bug fixes (should also fix HDMI on 3600M).

Satch

San Diego is now testing ODN v8.0.0_21. So we might be getting the new update soon. Most likely next month as LA is upgrading around September 18. ODN 8 should bring a bunch of bug fixes (should also fix HDMI on 3600M).
In my view,

This shows that Charter is not "giving up" on Navigator, but having it grow into Spectrum. I wonder what divisions will get it first, or already have this version?

Satch

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
We have the Spectrum logo on the guide. Our boxes rebooted and we have a Spectrum logo and screensaver.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
One cool feature of ODN 8.0 is if you press the up button on the remote, it shows a recently viewed menu. Also the left and right arrow key side button is like the TWC TV app and has a watch TV, guide, and even a feature tour. Though it is currently updating the code.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Also there are changes in the guide, but the changes are rather minor. I did see a mentioning of a feature called recommendations, and you can reboot your box from the settings menu. Also the A button can access the quick menu.