Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Any TWC Navigator Updates/News?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
VOD and interactive broken, but should be up by the morning. It does seem like an OK update once it is fully working. CableCARD updated to a minor version. No hard middleware or firmware updates, but maybe not expect much in that regards until Spectrum guide comes out.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Menu button can also access the main menu. Also the menus seem more transparent. Not sure if it is in the previous version or changeable by transparency but it looks like it. Oh and you can share your In Progress List to all cable boxes in your home as well as renaming your box. I also notice Auto Search, which I have not looked at the settings menu in a while which is turn on for shows related to a title. There seems to be a lot of changes but more evolutionary not revolutionary. Finally, an about feature for your set top that tells you which box to get.

Last edited:

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Right now my Samsung 3272 and Arris 3600M is doing what appears to be a middleware/OS update.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
This is probably the longest ODN update ever as they pretty much updated the entire box including the Middleware/OS, ODN guide, and cable card and is done in longer intervals between modules.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Samsung boxes now have Middleware v2175 and OS v7.4.0.5 which fully scales the ODN UI to full 16x9 for those who have no overscan enabled on their TV. Apparently if you had no overscan the UI would not fully scale to 16x9, but it now does that, just like the Cisco and Arris boxes.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Official site of the new guide. I finally found out that on certain channels, you can press select and it shows all the shows of that network and you can choose which ones record and even watch vod. You can go back to the old look for the guide if it is too advanced. Settings/Display can get rid of the new recently viewed channels and go back to the old way. INFO twice can access all the ways of how to watch a TV show including more descriptions. Plus OK/select on a future episode to see information on a series, over view; and all the Live TV, VOD and DVR Versions. Oh and there is a Kids area from the new menu just for them. Start Over is now mentioned in the guide.

Oh and performance seems to be ok in this release, as on a Samsung 3272 and Arris 3600M it feels just as quick if not quicker than before.

I must take that back, as this guide really is a nice improvement over the current UI, but it does feel like an evolution because it is still the same guide.

TWC now Spectrum (Charter) did a ton of beta testing to this release and maybe this could be the swan song for Navigator before it gets released with another UI, but I think Spectrum (Charter) will keep Navigator for a while as it takes a while to test the UI, and the future is not DVR, but rather the cloud and streaming. Plus, Navigator is far more advanced when compared to iGuide and SARA UI, and possibly the Spectrum UI in some areas, but now we have a competitive guide that is inspired by the TWCTV app.

Last edited:

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
How to turn off recently viewed in the new ODN v8.0 UI.
  • Press SETTINGS button. The Quick Settings screen will appear.
  • Arrow left/right to DISPLAY.
  • Arrow up/down to Recently Viewed.
  • Press SELECT button.
  • Toggle Recently Viewed on/off using SELECT button.
  • Press EXIT button to leave settings.

Satch

Guys,

In ODN 8.0 does PIP now work on all the advanced set top boxes? The Help sections talk about it, but I know that this feature has been inactive for some time. People like the new Menu, but would like the option to have the ability to not have it show up all the time when the TV/box is first turned on.

Satch

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
My 3272 has no PIP, if you press the button even with the new update. Samsung 3270 and 3272 boxes have a hardware limitation that prevents it from supporting PIP.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
It appears that the 6 tuner boxes will be offered to new and existing customers again as two tuner boxes. This is a policy to equalize all DVR's as there will be no Multi Room DVR. Only CableCARD it seems will offer MultiRoom DVR solutions like TiVO.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Spectrum has deployed ODN v8.0.0_23 which is probably just a patch update to ODN 8.0 for bug fixes.

Satch

I love the Recently Viewed feature. Before it, I would have to remember the channels and shows I last watched.

Satch

Satch

A general review of Navigator ODN 8.0 Based on Customer Feedback

1.) Search data remains incomplete. Data that is complete on the legacy SA boxes is nowhere to be found in cloud-based searches on the ADSG boxes. For example the series from the 70's Match Game on GSN only shows in the Time Grid Cells, not on the keyboard search. On legacy boxes, such as SA models the listings are there. The listings for 70's Match Game are also missing from the "My Account" Spectrum TV Online Guide Search. I am sure that there are other shows with a similar situation.

2.) Customers hate the Access Menu that pops-up every time that the box is turned on. Spectrum needs an option in Settings to toggle this feature on/off per customer preference, or better yet, not show the Menu at start up on the first place.

3.) The loss of Reminder Timers in the Time Cell future show options is a big deal to them. The option is still there in Settings, but the Timers are more cumbersome to use from that menu.

4.) All of the Premium Channels On Demand now have Cover Art instead of the old category listings. Customers would like the ability to either restore the category listings, or provide a search keyboard like the one from the On Demand Portal, when the On Demand Button is pressed.

5.) DVR Management of recordings is clunky based on the organization by shows into episodes and series. This may be OK for first-run series, but for shows that are 20-50 years old, customers would rather have the DVR store show listings by the date or date/title of the recording. Unless customers are die-hard fans of a series, it is often hard to find where shows are located navigating through a list.

6.) Ability to name your box and to reboot the box in Settings have shown very positive feedback.

7.) An annoying bug where shows will sometimes not play from the DVR Show List, especially if two or more are in a folder, has a workaround according to some users. Do a search for the show in question, and filter the results for the show that won't play by DVR listings only. Customers should be able to play the shows using this method. A patch has reportedly been rolled out to fix this.

8.) Spectrum has reportedly been offering the 4-Tuner World Box DVR's in some LA markets. Talk is that the new Spectrum Guide may begin to be rolled out to these boxes for new customers and trouble calls, but no confirmation yet. Charter has been slow to deploy the Spectrum Guide, and documentation says that World Boxes will run ODN Navigator to be migrated into the Spectrum Guide over time. Why these are not six-tuner boxes, like legacy TWC has offered since 2014, remains unknown.

Satch

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I no longer have Spectrum TV, but Spectrum now has a 4 tuner DVR with 1TB HDD, and an embedded CAS, with NDS VideoGuard DCAS as an option. Runs ODN (for now) but can work with Spectrum Guide.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I am currently staying in Anaheim for a convention and my hotel uses an ADB stb running ODN but the UI is slightly different, but maybe I have not experienced a current TWC STB as I now use Sling TV with a Roku (far better). Lets, just say it is very tempermental and the UI can be quite slow.

Good news is that the channels seem to be in HD and the guide lists them as such. TV is an older LG around 32-37" or something like that.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Slow UI apparently was fixed by moving the IR closer to the TV. I hope to visit that hotel again and play with their setup.