Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Are the OTA stations on continually, or sometimes down?

mtiddens

OTA is great (suplemented by having a mini-PC behind my TV for streaming and as a DVR)!
Are the OTA stations on continually? I sometimes get all of the stations, but sometimes a station is totally down for a day or two, and it doesn't make sense to me unless they are periodically turned off (maybe to help the cable companies discourage OTA?).
For example, sometimes I will get all of the stations from Mt. San Maguel, except one (such as NBC 39) has not worked the last two days. Also, sometimes I get CBS 8 from Mt. Soledad, but not ABC 10. If I'm getting one station, shouldn't I be getting the rest (if they are on)? And it doesn't seem to be a weaker power station that "turns off" - I'll still be receiving other weaker stations from the same mountain.
Is anyone else experienceing stations that periodically turn off? If so, we need to complain to the FCC.

oat

OTA receptions vary greatly depending on atmospheric conditions. This is what you are describing.
Therefore reception on certain channels can be highly unpredictable, even from one frequency to the next coming from the same transmitter. VHF and UHF waves propagate differently as well. Transmitters vary greatly in power.
High atmospheric pressure usually means better signal propagation and no, there are no 'turn off' stations as you describe.
If at all possible, get yourself a better antenna and I do not mean of the indoor type, preferably UHF/VHF with a rotor for multiple sources (LA,SD,TJ) and you will see those 'turn off' channels disappear.

mtiddens

Thank you. It could be as you say. We are on the ridge in Lake San Marcos and I have two "medium size" antennas in the attic, each pointed toward each mountain. About 70% of the time we receive all channels very well. I might get larger antennas at some point. I just had to check because there is no rhyme or reason regarding weather, location, or signal strength as to which stations "turn off". I'm sure people that live closer to the mountains can also confirm if the stations continuously transmit.

Badgerfan

Thank you. It could be as you say. We are on the ridge in Lake San Marcos and I have two "medium size" antennas in the attic, each pointed toward each mountain. About 70% of the time we receive all channels very well. I might get larger antennas at some point. I just had to check because there is no rhyme or reason regarding weather, location, or signal strength as to which stations "turn off". I'm sure people that live closer to the mountains can also confirm if the stations continuously transmit.
Consider going outside with a smaller antenna...