Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Cable Modem Recommendation

jay214128

I'm looking at switching from DSL to cable for my ISP. I'm looking for any recommendations for a cable modem to purchase. Looking online, it seems that they all have bad reviews. Some of them must work OK.

I don't need/want wireless or a gateway/router, just a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. This would be for Time Warner cable.

Jay

DRB

Time Warner includes a cable modem (typically Motorola) with the monthly fee on many of the packages.
I asked them recently and I wouldn't save anything on the monthly fee if I bought my own cable modem, so I just use the Motorola model they gave me - easy to exchange for another one for free at their office if it ever has a problem, unlike if I bought one.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
For that, you can buy a Motorola SB6141 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6141-Official-Manufacturer-Environmentally/dp/B007IMPMW4

Costs around $94 and it is not that bad. It has DOCSIS 3.0, which is a good thing.

vinvam

I bought a Netgear CD3000D (originally on Cox) on Craigslist for really cheap. It's a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and Wireless-N router.

Anyways, I chatted with a TWC rep online to see if a modem not listed on their approved list, such as my CG3000D, could still be provisioned for service. Here's what the rep said:

vinvam:so for example if i had the cg3000d already would i be able to activate it
TWC Rep:Yes
vinvam:i understand it's not approved but that doesn't mean it will not necessarily work
vinvam:correct?
TWC Rep:Yes you can just call the local office and then get it approved.
Is it that simple? Just call in and get it provisioned? Is this representative correct or will I run into issues after I get my service installed on Saturday?