Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Can anyone confirm RR Extreme speed

I am considering moving up to Roadrunner Extreme for an extra $20 a month. The TW rep can not guarantee at least 30/5 speeds. Does anyone have Extreme and tested it for speed?

EmptyG

fblack_111 said:
I am considering moving up to Roadrunner Extreme for an extra $20 a month. The TW rep can not guarantee at least 30/5 speeds. Does anyone have Extreme and tested it for speed?
I upgraded to that last month and I can confirm I actually do get 30/5! :)

DRB

Does RR Extreme require a different newer faster cable modem?
Or can the older Motorola cable modems that work with standard speed (10Mb/s download) work at the 30Mb/s dl speed of extreme?

Also what speed is the San Diego TWC turbo internet download speed?
On the TWC website under internet packages they show standard speed 10Mb/s and Turbo speed 20Mb/s, but under the local cable bundle options they show Turbo as 15Mb/s max. Which is it?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
No, you cannot use a D1.1 or D2.0 modem on Extreme. Extreme is a D3.0 tier which requires a new modem. TWC includes the modem and it includes a Wifi router (SBG6580) but you could use your own modem. TWC recommends the SB6141 on Amazon if you want to use your own modem. You can disable the router on the modem/router combo, if you wish to use your own router. The 15 mbps tier is obsolete now, but TWC probably has not updated their local existing customer bundle. The new 20mbps for new customers can only be provisioned on a D3.0 modem, though I am not sure about that. Now if only a TWC employee could come in and verify this, then that would be great.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6141-Official-Manufacturer-Environmentally/dp/B007IMPMW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339802674&sr=8-1&keywords=SB6141

Here is a link to the SB6141. This modem is TWC certified for D3.0 and all you have to do is tell them the mac address and they should be able to provision it for you.

DRB

Admin65 said:
No, you cannot use a D1.1 or D2.0 modem on Extreme. Extreme is a D3.0 tier which requires a new modem. TWC includes the modem and it includes a Wifi router (SBG6580)
The SBG6580 cable modem with built-in 4 port gigabit ethernet switcher outputs plus built-in wireless looks great - I wouldn't need an external router like I have now with my older plain Motorola cable modem.
Does TWC give you the SBG6580 free (included in the monthly internet charge) like with my current $40 standard internet with no extra fee for cable modem rental?
Can you get the SBG6580 from TWC at any other internet tiers like the Turbo (hopefully 20Mb/s)?
Does the PQ TWC typically stock these or only the main office?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
There have been some issues with it, and it is for those who subscribe to TWC wifi. Those who get the new bundles with a 20 mbps or higher tier get free wifi. Some new customer promos include TWC wifi. Otherwise, you must pay $12.45/month. If you buy the SBG6580 elsewhere, you could use it as a plain D3.0 wifi modem. There is also a uBee D3.0 modem/router/EMTA combo unit, but that is for D3.0 triple play customers who have phone service.

DRB

I was reading the technical info on the amazon page for the Motorola cable modem 5101 docsis 2.0, and it shows:
Downstream data speeds up to 38 Mbps

So if a docsis 2.0 modem is capable up to 38Mbps download, why couldn't it support up the turbo tier (20mbps) and even the extreme (30Mbps) speeds? Why is a 3.0 modem/gateway needed for that?
I could see for the ultimate speed tier (50Mbps) would require 3.0 though.
[hr]
I just did an online chat with a TWC rep on their website and got more info on the internet tiers and prices.
He confirmed turbo tier is now 20mpbs and can use the existing standard cable modem (Motorola 5101, docsis 2.0) but the higher speed 30mpbs and 50mpbs tiers require new equipment (docsis 3.0)
He gave these price deltas for the internet tiers above standard (10mpbs):
Turbo (20mpbs): +$20
Extreme (30mpbs): +$30
Ultimate (50mpbs): +$50

Though the online bundle options in a 2 or 3 service bundle for existing customers has only a $12.95 increase from standard to turbo. The online chat rep couldn't do that however, have to call in.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Extreme uses channel bonding, which is not compatible with D2.0. 38 mbps is the max under ideal conditions. DOCSIS 2.0 could support it, but TWC would rather have you get a newer modem. Swapping modems is no big deal.

DRB

OK I just called the TWC phone rep and got more info.
Indeed the old turbo 15Mbps internet option still shows on the TWC website under bundles (+$12.95 over standard) is no longer available.
Now what they used to call Turbo+ (20Mbps) is the new Turbo and with the bundle is $20 over standard.
They confirmed that 20Mbps is supported on the old docsis cable modems like Motorola 5101.
With standard or turbo internet, the wifi option is $5 extra.

The extreme (30Mbps) or ultimate (50Mbps) requires the docsis 3.0 and includes the built-in wifi router at no extra charge.
Extreme regular price is $30/month more over standard in the bundle, while Ultimate is $50/month more over standard.
However the rep let me know there is a current promotion if you upgrade to extreme you get it for the turbo price only $20/month more than standard for the year, after that it would go to the $30/month more price.

So I got an increase to turbo 20Mbps immediately over the phone using my existing modem, and they are sending via fedex the new docsis 3.0 cable modem/wireless gateway next week and I will then get the extreme speeds for the same price for a year. I can then return the old cable modem via return shipping or drop off at a local TWC office.

I asked the rep if this was the Motorola SBG6580, but he thought it would be an equivalent featured Netgear product.
Any idea on the Netgear model number thats equivalent to a SBG6580 and if the Netgear is more reliable or has fewer issues?

I am having Extreme (30/5) installed next week for an extra $20 over what was supposed to be Roadrunner 10/1. But I have tested it and get 17 Mbps consistently. Part of that is TW Boost for the first few seconds.

DRB

fblack_111 said:
I am having Extreme (30/5) installed next week for an extra $20 over what was supposed to be Roadrunner 10/1. But I have tested it and get 17 Mbps consistently. Part of that is TW Boost for the first few seconds.
I too notice with the standard internet (10Mbps) that the powerboost feature nearly doubles the speed for the first few seconds of a file download. So all the internet speed tests get that speed up since they download a relatively short file for the test.
Real-world larger file downloads though peak out at about 1.2MByte/sec as expected with 10Mbps cap after the intial few second powerboost.

I called TWC yesterday and was offered the same special one-year price for Extreme (30Mbps dl) of $20 over my current standard (10Mbps dl) internet.

The new Turbo (20mbps dl) regular price in my bundle is also $20 more than standard, so I had them enable that right away as it works with my current old Motorola Docsis 2.0 cable modem, but to also send me the upgraded Extreme-capable Docsis 3.0 cable modem gateway (includes 4port & wireless router) and Extreme 30Mbps speed will be enabled when I receive it early next week via fedex. Probably a Netgear rather than Motorola unit.

I've been testing currently the Turbo 20Mbps speed via my existing docsis 2.0 modem and consistently get right at the 20Mbps download speed and 2Mbps upload speed with several internet speed test sites, indicating there is no extra powerboost beyond the 20Mbps which is probably near their limit anyway with an older docsis 2.0 modem.

I've also checked large file downloads from various sites and can indeed get up to 2.3MByte/sec real-world file download speeds for extended periods (not just the temporary few seconds powerboost noted on standard speed).
For reference with the standard speed I could get up to 1.2MByte/sec real-world file download speed for extended periods.

We shall see next week if the new docsis 3.0 hardware and Extreme tier (30Mbps) can achieve a similar level increase to beyond a 3MByte/sec sustained large file download speed. Of course many sites may not be capable of reaching the extreme maximum download speed, so I'll be seeing if the extra speed is really worth the extra cost in typical use over a month.

After the special price for the year, the Extreme regular price will be charged of $30/month over standard, compared to $20/month over standard for the special price or for the new Turbo (20Mbps) speed.

carlsbadboltfan

fblack_111 said:
I prefer to keep my existing wireless router and they will install my new Extreme modem in Bridge mode.
You'll definitely want to do that. The range on their wireless router isn't all that great. Had a client in a brand new house and they couldn't get a decent signal downstairs. Installed a different wireless router and their coverage is much better.

carlsbadboltfan said:
fblack_111 said:
I prefer to keep my existing wireless router and they will install my new Extreme modem in Bridge mode.
You'll definitely want to do that. The range on their wireless router isn't all that great. Had a client in a brand new house and they couldn't get a decent signal downstairs. Installed a different wireless router and their coverage is much better.
Thanks. I suspected as much. I have a Belkin N750 I got a Costco and it gives me very good coverage. My house is wired with Cat 5 to a closet in the master bedroom upstairs. I get good coverage and speed downstairs in every room.

DRB

Are there any better rated combined docsis 3.0 cable modem gateway (with built-in 4 port ethernet switch and wireless router) available compatible with TWC than the poorly rated Motorola SBG6580?
Does Netgear have a similar model that is high rated or some other manufacturer?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
The netgear model has not been relased. There is a uBee one that has an eMTA, D3.0 modem, and router. Only for those who have a triple play package plus wifi.

DRB

I think I am going to stick with a plain cable modem and use my own separate router.
Then I'm sure to have complete control over the router settings unlike the TWC provided gateway models.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
If you want a separate modem, you should get the SB6141 as that is approved by TWC for D3.0 for self install.