Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

CBS to test subchannels

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1325575

At least for the NY and LA market. CBS has the best HD PQ IMO, but this could get worse. Cable users might suffer as well, unless they have an unadulterated studio fiber feed. Non CBS O&O's have been carrying subchannels for a while, and there are some that even carry HD subchannels.

Rick Shaw

Admin65 said:
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1325575

At least for the NY and LA market. CBS has the best HD PQ IMO, but this could get worse. Cable users might suffer as well, unless they have an unadulterated studio fiber feed. Non CBS O&O's have been carrying subchannels for a while, and there are some that even carry HD subchannels.
KFMB-HD dropped their OTA data rate from 18-18.3 Mbps to about 16 Mbps months ago. Cox cable gets this same reduced bit rate, so its subscribers should see no change in video quality from reduced bit rate.

jay214128

I just checked both KCBS-DT and KFMB-DT. Both are only broadcasting a single subchannel (KCBS on 2.1 (43.1) and KFMB on 8.1 (8.3)).

Admin65 said:
CBS has the best PQ IMO, even on TWC.
Agreed. Ever since KFMB fixed their encoder for CBS Network programming back in late 2009/early 2010, they have the best picture quality overall on any channel in San Diego. I certainly remember and don't miss the days of cringing whenever a sporting event was on CBS/KFMB.

DRB

I noticed an SD subchannel 8.2 OTA yesterday.
Just appears to be carrying an SD version of the main 8.1 HD channel for now.
I hope this is a test for soon making the SD sub-channel carry the ME-TV network which has a lot of classic TV shows.
The ME-TV website info shows: KFMB - Coming Soon

DRB

I see at the ME-TV network website they now show:

You can watch Me-TV in the San Diego area on the following stations:
Over the air: KFMB 8.2 - On or about September 2011

So this may be what 8.2 has been testing for.
Its another classic TV show channel, like the two subchannels KSWB has (AntennaTV and ThisTV)
But ME-TV has more earlier TV shows like from the 50s,60s,70s.

sdwulfdawg

DRB said:
I see at the ME-TV network website they now show:

You can watch Me-TV in the San Diego area on the following stations:
Over the air: KFMB 8.2 - On or about September 2011

So this may be what 8.2 has been testing for.
Its another classic TV show channel, like the two subchannels KSWB has (AntennaTV and ThisTV)
But ME-TV has more earlier TV shows like from the 50s,60s,70s.
Does anyone know when ME-TV is going to be on the air on KFMB? I can't pry the information loose from anyone.

DRB

sdwulfdawg said:
Does anyone know when ME-TV is going to be on the air on KFMB? I can't pry the information loose from anyone.
the only thing i have seen listed at the ME-TV website is "On or about September 2011"
but 8-2 still seems to be black so far...

Jsaxie

I sent an email to KFMB and received the following reply:

We do not yet have a firm start date for Me-TV. We are waiting for the network to fix some technical issues.
We'll be happy to let you know when the launch is set.

Sincerely,

Bill Lawrence
Assistant Director of Engineering
KFMB Stations

RE: CBS to test subchannels-still waiting 10/12/2011

I called Ch 8 ~9/28 to ask about an air date for ME-tv (8.2).
Couldn't get a live person that knew (and no return call).
I guess for now, we'll just have to be content with that silent film classic, "Dark Dark Night". I was speculating that there were ads to be sold, but that wouldn't make sense based on "This TV" (69.3) and "Antenna TV" (69.2)--none of their ads are for local businesses.

jay214128

MeTV is, and has been, available on KDOC 56.3 (32) if you live in the Northern parts of San Diego. KDOC has a strong signal, but unfortunately, it is co-channel with XEWT-DT. YMWV.

sdwulfdawg

Jsaxie said:
I sent an email to KFMB and received the following reply:

We do not yet have a firm start date for Me-TV. We are waiting for the network to fix some technical issues.
We'll be happy to let you know when the launch is set.

Sincerely,

Bill Lawrence
Assistant Director of Engineering
KFMB Stations
Mmmmmm...."We are waiting for the network to fix some technical issues."

Sounds more like KFMB is not up to speed yet!

jay214128

KFMB is now broadcasting MeTV programming on 8.2. They still haven't changed the channel identifier (still says KFMB-SD). KDOC (56.3) says METVLA.

DRB

I've found the the new subchannel 8.2 with MeTV programming has a decent bitrate about 3.5Mbps with 720x480 MPG2.
That allows for fewer digital compression artifacts compared to the two sub-channels on 69 (69.2,69.3) which have a much lower bitrate for comparison.

Rick Shaw

DRB said:
I've found the the new subchannel 8.2 with MeTV programming has a decent bitrate about 3.5Mbps with 720x480 MPG2.
That allows for fewer digital compression artifacts compared to the two sub-channels on 69 (69.2,69.3) which have a much lower bitrate for comparison.
What is the current bitrate for the primary channel, KFMB-DT?

DRB

Rick Shaw said:
What is the current bitrate for the primary channel, KFMB-DT?
The HD primary channel I get about 13Mbps.

I measured for the two subchannels on 69 (69.2,69.3) about 2.2Mbps each, hence the higher compression artifacts compared to the new 8.2 subchannel which has 3.5Mpbs