Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Charter to Merge with Brighthouse and TWC

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/25/us-twc-m-a-charter-communi-idUSKBN0OA15L20150525

Looks like Charter will merge with TWC and acquire Brighthouse as well. It is kind of funny that they are acquiring Brighthouse as Brighthouse has a complicated relationship with TWC. Charter is reported to offer TWC $195/share for a $55 billion offer. Brighthouse relies on Time Warner for their programming contracts, and they use the same cable boxes and infrastructure as Time warner. Even use the same program guide and tablet/smartphone app as well as their live TV VOD website for PC and Macs. I think Altice would be an interesting operator, but they are open to others, and Charter really wants to go in for the kill (TWC and Brighthouse), so that is probably why. I think TWC is not really interested in running a cable company.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/26/us-twc-m-a-charter-communi-idUSKBN0OA15L20150526

Edit: Deal is official, signed at $55-56 billion at $195.71/share. Charter will buy brighthouse alongside merging with TWC, and Malone will buy $5 billion in New Charter stock to help finance along with other forms of financing to get this deal done. However, some people still say that the $55 billion deal is the correct one. Also, the Newhouse family which owns Brighthouse would also get a stake in the company.

sdhdtv
My neighbor, like me, has his TW promotional deal expiring soon. He also called Retention to see what they will do for him. They gave him the same runaround they gave me. Basically from paying $119 a month, they want to give him a "special deal" of $135 a month. He say no thanks. How much is just standard Internet. He is quoted $44. He says fine. Cancel all but the Internet. Then he buys a couple of Amazon Fire's and signs up for Playstation Vue. It's about $35 a month. So he figures he goes from $135 down to $79. Here's the best part. He gets to the PQ store to return the old equipment and of the 6 others in the store, 5 are cancelling their service and going with Playstation or Sling. I may follow him.

I think PS Vue is a pretty interesting service, and I would not mind switching to it, but I am happy with my roku boxes.

The main reasons I like PlayStation Vue are:
1. They have Fox Business, ESPN, CNBC, AMC, USA, FS1, Fox News
2. They have a cloud based DVR and many on demand channels

Depending on my dealings with TW, I may strongly consider switching. And remember, you still need local OTA channels. But PlayStation supposedly has major networks on demand. But I do not know really now what programs are included.

PS Vue is working towards getting OTA channels on their service and some areas might have them, but you can always buy an antenna.

I am too. My neighbor loves it. They have a nice free trial to try it. Three things I learned about it that concern a few users. From what I read, the sound is only 2.0. But my Denon receiver and most others can easily convert that to 5.1. The resolution is 720P. My TV will up convert it. But one issue that can cause problems is how the Vue works. Apparently the account is tied to the first IP address that the Amazon Fire TV box uses. And if your Internet provider changes your dynamic IP address, the service stops. Then you have to work with PlayStation support to get it fixed. And then they get "testy" if it happens again. And as of now, TW will not easily assign a static IP. And it costs more. I suspect PlayStation must be working on this problem.

Here's a word of caution to those who will be negotiating a new deal with the TW retention reps. They have been quoting me a rate "before taxes and fees". When I ask for a total including taxes and fees, the rep says they cannot do that because it's based on your final package rate. Since my old fees and taxes have been about $6.50 a month, I used that number to figure my monthly charges. But what they are not telling us is that we must also include a 'Surcharges". IE: Broadcast Surcharge and a Sports Surcharge. On my current bill, their is no Sports Surcharge shown and the Broadcast Surcharge is $0. So these will add an extra $8.75 a month over what I thought I was paying. Two reps never mentioned this.

PQ office says no deals are really available for current customers! :(
Admin,

Did you go to the office or call? Customer Solutions, which is a division of retention can help if you get a good rep. Each year though we ask to drop one of our premiums to get our rates down, and see what specials they have. Sometimes it helps to go in to willing to drop something first and see what they say.

Our promotion ends in the beginning of November. I have Triple Play/Turbo Internet/ plus Sports Pass and an HBO/Starz Combo and will be looking to drop Starz because I hate their split screens at the end of movies. I will want to swap Starz with Cinemax as HBO/Cinemax combos are very common. If I can't get a deal there, I will probably drop both HBO and Starz and say, could you offer me just one premium? (Maybe just Cinemax as they seem to have the most premium movies.) I was looking at TWC Movie Pass, but now that Encore has merged with Starz, I am not too sold on that channel. Epix might also be an option. But I will be looking to have Starz taken off the account, so that will give them something with which to work.

I do stuff like that each year and it helps. But it does seem you either have to give up something or swap something. They won't let you keep the exact same services for more than a year or so it seems. Maybe Charter will want to have good relations with customers in new TWC areas once the billing system is complete. Maybe we can get a better deal at that time. Charter says we will be able to stay with TWC billing or go to their structure until all services are converter to the Charter Spectrum billing database. I wonder if we will see a big price difference or not?

Satch

Last edited:
They have been playing the "drop services" game for over a year now. Last August the only way I could avoid a large price increase was to downgrade my Internet speed and drop part of the Variety pack. But I still paid about a $5 increase. Now when you call retention they start by asking what channels you really watch and how you use the Internet. Their aim is to get you to drop services so it seems like your price increase is smaller. When I called earlier this month I refused to play their game. So their best deal gave me a 15%-20% price increase. That includes their Broadcast and Sports fees. Then a straight talking rep said to wait for their renewal letter that comes out a few weeks before you deal expires. Ten work on a deal. So I will wait a few more weeks.

Now if only more SmartTV platforms can support it, then that would be great. I am in the market for a new 4K HDTV, and looking at the new Samsung SUHD sets!

I bought a new 4K Samsung UN65KS8000 two weeks ago to replace my 6 year old Samsung. For whatever reason, the TV does not have the TW app. Too bad. The TV has a great picture and you can check out a lot of 4k demos via Youtube on the TV. Before I bought it I knew you really need to sit not much further than 8-10' from the TV to appreciate 4k. My sofa is 14' away, which is really too far away. But if you are going to buy a new TV today, it might as well be 4k. I wish the TV had a Roku app.

I bought a new 4K Samsung UN65KS8000 two weeks ago to replace my 6 year old Samsung. For whatever reason, the TV does not have the TW app. Too bad. The TV has a great picture and you can check out a lot of 4k demos via Youtube on the TV. Before I bought it I knew you really need to sit not much further than 8-10' from the TV to appreciate 4k. My sofa is 14' away, which is really too far away. But if you are going to buy a new TV today, it might as well be 4k. I wish the TV had a Roku app.
that is the TV that I am looking at.

I just purchased one on Amazon! Glad you like your new TV, and this is our first 4K set! One of our older TV sets broke so we are moving a Sony TV to that room and putting in the new Samsung in.