Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Charter to Merge with Brighthouse and TWC

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/25/us-twc-m-a-charter-communi-idUSKBN0OA15L20150525

Looks like Charter will merge with TWC and acquire Brighthouse as well. It is kind of funny that they are acquiring Brighthouse as Brighthouse has a complicated relationship with TWC. Charter is reported to offer TWC $195/share for a $55 billion offer. Brighthouse relies on Time Warner for their programming contracts, and they use the same cable boxes and infrastructure as Time warner. Even use the same program guide and tablet/smartphone app as well as their live TV VOD website for PC and Macs. I think Altice would be an interesting operator, but they are open to others, and Charter really wants to go in for the kill (TWC and Brighthouse), so that is probably why. I think TWC is not really interested in running a cable company.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/26/us-twc-m-a-charter-communi-idUSKBN0OA15L20150526

Edit: Deal is official, signed at $55-56 billion at $195.71/share. Charter will buy brighthouse alongside merging with TWC, and Malone will buy $5 billion in New Charter stock to help finance along with other forms of financing to get this deal done. However, some people still say that the $55 billion deal is the correct one. Also, the Newhouse family which owns Brighthouse would also get a stake in the company.

sdhdtv
Yesterday, I took delivery of my UN65KS8000 and it is a great TV! Needed some modifications to fit in with my entertainment system, but it works great! The apps are great and I streamed a 4K episode of Fuller House and it worked well over my 802.11n network!

Glad you like it. I am finally getting used to the new Smart Remote that comes with it. It's not lighted and I keep pressing the Off button by accident. Great picture on the TV. You can find a lot of 4k demos, music video, etc. to stream from Youtube.

I just noticed that TW re-named their Internet tiers on their web site. Now the lowest speed tier is called Extreme. (50 Mbps). The next three tiers are Ultimate 100, 200, and 300. They do not list any special "lower speeds" for very basic or special customers. I suspect they have some available.

I just noticed that TW re-named their Internet tiers on their web site. Now the lowest speed tier is called Extreme. (50 Mbps). The next three tiers are Ultimate 100, 200, and 300. They do not list any special "lower speeds" for very basic or special customers. I suspect they have some available.
I find on the TWC website under packages for internet only, they show special deals for 50Mb, 30Mb, and 20Mb download speeds.

I found the new rates after logging in to my account and searching around for their various upgrades.

I just saw that Comcast has started to test data caps of 1Tb a month in Chicago. That brings their "Test" cities up to about 25% of their customers. They say the 1Tb will let customers steam 700 hours of HD a month. But they forget many customers have 2, 3 and more TV's and devices. And what about 4K streams. Where this can be really a problem is with cord cutting customers who use services like PlayStation Vie and Sling. Some reports say Comcast based their cap on streaming one HD show per hour for all 24 hours per day. But many sources say you use nearly 3GB to stream a high quality Netflix movie. So their Those 700 hours will not be enough and they will charge overage fees.

For us, Charter has committed to no Caps for a few years.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/comcast-expanding-data-cap-test-chicago/2016-07-08

It appears that Charter is clamping down on retention promos at TWC. Now it seems that promos are only for new customers and no discounts for existing ones.

I

It appears that Charter is clamping down on retention promos at TWC. Now it seems that promos are only for new customers and no discounts for existing ones.
I hope existing customers can still get something,
At least Charter has said that TWC customers will be able to stay with their current packages or move into a new pricing structure. I think the best deals have ALWAYS been for new customers, so this does not seem to be anything new.

Satch

My 1 year package expires in 3 weeks. I have tried for weeks to work with them unsuccessfully. My old Triple Play and Enhanced DVR and 200 Mbps Internet and phone (which I never use since I have two cell phones) costs about $124 a month with taxes and fees. As one last try I called retention yesterday. They quoted me $140 total. I said I was not prepared to pay that and he said it is a "deal". Normally my package would cost $155+/-. Then he played his game of trying to get me a lower price by cutting services and benefits. Things like no DVR, less channels, slower Internet etc. I said no again. I could tell we had reached an impasse and I asked what are the costs for just stand-alone Internet. He said 50 Mbps was $34.99, 100 Mbps $44.99, 200 Mbps $54.99. So I hung up and drove to Costco and bought a Roku 4. (I have a 4K TV)

I then signed up for Playstation Vue at $29.99 a month. Their lowest plan has all the channels we like and even a DVR service. Their only local is NBC, but I already have an OTA antenna to watch local channels. I plan to cancel TW next week and just keep the 100 Mbps Internet. My new monthly total will be $74.98. I will save about $65 a month.

As for Vue, my friend got it a month ago after cancelling TW. He uses an Amazon Fire TV with it. His interface is better than the one with Roku. My Roku is very smooth and fast and with no buffering. But the app is just not as nice. The Amazon Fire TV includes a "chart" style guide like TW, as well as a Netflix style interface. The Roku only uses a Netflix like interface. For now. It takes some getting used to. Apparently Roku rushed out a channel, but supposedly they will update it in the next few months. The main reason I went with the Roku and Costco is their liberal return policy should the Roku fail. Reviews are mixed on both devices.

Today I officially cancelled my TW Cable and Phone and kept the Internet. I will stay with Playstation Vue. I was quoted Internet stand alone prices by retention last week of $34.99 (50/5) to $64.99 (300/20). So the lone rep at the windows in PQ says the $34.99 rate I want is unavailable and I have to pay $39.99. I object to the price, but with 7 people in line behind me, I leave and decide to fix it over the phone. But before I call TW I decided to check my Internet speed. Turns out not only does she charge me $5 more than I expected , but my speed is now down to 11/1. I get a friendly supervisor who says the PQ lady signed me up for "Basic", not 50/5. So she fixed the speed and lowered the price $5. Of the 7 people behind me in line at the store, 6 were returning (not exchanging) equipment.

89c07e076d209b0368859e258c9e19b9.jpg ad8c59af31379c38d13140e52dc67035.jpg

Someone on DSLReports posted some Screencaps of what Charter is planning on doing in regards to internet. There will definitely be a $15/month 30/4 tier for those who at least not had a Charter service for the past 60 days and no previous balance to Charter; however, I think you will probably need some kind of govt. assistance program (such as but not limited to school lunch) in order to get the price. I do think that ELP (Everyday low price) is being taken out. I believe Charter wants to simplify TWC and reduce the number of tiers to make it easier, but in reality a way to allow to extract more $$$ from us. This new 15/month tier does include modem and Wifi is extra.

Tiers on the otherhand, are the existing tiers that have been posted on here before.

60/5, the standard tier will be available for only $59.99/month retail price, standard bundled price will be 53.99/month. Those on promo rates will get a $29.99/month for triple play and promo bundled will be $39.99/month. However, in certain areas we might see this as 100/10, so if Charter does do this for San Diego, then it would be nice, but probably not as competitive as Google Fiber as they are even offering a 100/100 tier for those who don't need Gigabit and are in GFiber areas.

100/5 is the 2nd tier and it in such areas it will be upgraded to 300/20. Price will be $119.99/month and those on promos will get it for only $99.99/month. Bundled rate is only $113.99/month with TV, and/or triple play.

All tiers include the modem, but Charter does not ban the use of 3rd party modems, just that you have to pay the upfront cost of using your own modem.

Finally, existing customers are not required to change to the new billing (for now); however, they will not be offered to new customers and any upgrades, must be using the new plans.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30935809-Here-are-the-New-Spectrum-TV-Information

Oh, and the leaked materials include Free EPIX streaming for internet customers! Cord Cutters might like that. I guess they are doing this to get them to stay with Charter.

TV is rather simplified, as there will be just 3 tiers; However, the biggest surprises here are no more Whole House DVR and DTA's. DTA's will be phased out and replaced with 2 way digital boxes. Mind you that Charter still offers them for business customers. DTA customers who are receiving free DTA service will get a free box(es) for a year. Box fees are rather cheap at 4.99/month in legacy TWC and BHN markets.

DVR will be $11.99/month but if you want more than 1 dvr then it is $19.99/month for multiple DVR's. Whole House DVR customers may be switched to SPP. SPP will be for those going on forward after September. LA will be the first to join SPP. Perhaps, Charter does not see the future of TV being DVR and they think Streaming and cloud is the way to go.

It also appears that the TWCTV app will be dumped in favor of Spectrum TV and yes there will be a Roku version.

I have downloaded the images from the training site, but maybe I might post them later if they get taken down per Charter.

Currently TWC has not yet migrated to the new plans, but later this month is when Charter will ditch legacy TWC plans (for new customers) for their packaged plans! Oh, if you have a 6 tuner DVR, then that will not be offered by Charter, but you can keep it if you have such a box (like I have).

DVR service is structured where you pay $11.99/month for 1 DVR plus $4.99/month box fee, or $19.99/month for up to 4 DVR boxes at $4.99 per box.

DVR service is structured where you pay $11.99/month for 1 DVR plus $4.99/month box fee, or $19.99/month for up to 4 DVR boxes at $4.99 per box.
That single DVR price is less than the current TWC pricing. Can we choose to move from the old pricing to the new?

Yes, we are all going to have to change over at some point, but TWC customers are allowed to keep their packages (for now). Charter only offers 3 TV packages which bloated as heck. Some things might be cheaper, but others will be more expensive as phone service is now a $20/month addon if you have a triple play.