Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

COZI TV on 39.2

Randy

I think this change happened last week. They are transitioning to COZI TV, which looks like NBC's version of MeTV or Antenna. They have some really old, emphasis on old, shows - early Lone Ranger and Hopalong Cassidy, Ozzie and Harriett, etc. There are also some NBC shows from the 70's - Banacek, Mc Cloud and other networks like Magnum PI, Bionic Woman.

Rick Shaw

Randy said:
I think this change happened last week. They are transitioning to COZI TV, which looks like NBC's version of MeTV or Antenna. They have some really old, emphasis on old, shows - early Lone Ranger and Hopalong Cassidy, Ozzie and Harriett, etc. There are also some NBC shows from the 70's - Banacek, Mc Cloud and other networks like Magnum PI, Bionic Woman.
It's also ClearQAM on Cox North channel 807.

DRB

I found COZI-TV in ClearQAM on Time Warner Cable San Diego.
Its also on channel 253 via a cable box/DVR however the cable guide hasn't been updated to the new channel name or program info, so its tough to setup a DVR to record a show.
I can see it via ClearQAM on my TV's internal digital TV tuner too as channel 39-2.

DRB

I noticed 39.2 COZI-TV is off the air today on Time Warner cable via clear QAM and cable box.
It was working fine yesterday.

Might want to update the sub-title on this forum section, since channel 39's sub-channels have changed:
Old sub-title: Virtual CH: 39.1 (NBC), 39.2 (NBC Plus), 39.3 (Universal Sports)

Mackinnond

Hi guys. I'm the chief engineer over at KNSD. We lost power due to a building outage and a bad transfer switch for backup power. We've spent most of the day trying to get everything stabilized. COZI is definitely here to stay, and I'll reach out to TWC to find out why it's not being passed.

Let me know if you see anything else out of the ordinary.

DRB

COZI TV came back up on TWC later this afternoon.
It was not on all morning and early afternoon.
TWC still hasn't updated the channel guide listing for the channel however, the name is wrong (still shows NBC Plus) and no guide date for the COZI programming, so its not possible to set your DVR to record individual programs on the channel.
I can tune it on channel 253 but thats all.

Mackinnond

I'll try and get them to update the guide info. Sometimes the services used to pass this data take a while to change over. Especially for secondary channels.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
DRB said:
I noticed 39.2 COZI-TV is off the air today on Time Warner cable via clear QAM and cable box.
It was working fine yesterday.

Might want to update the sub-title on this forum section, since channel 39's sub-channels have changed:
Old sub-title: Virtual CH: 39.1 (NBC), 39.2 (NBC Plus), 39.3 (Universal Sports)
I fixed it. Thanks for letting me know!

LemonLander

Mackinnond said:
Hi guys. I'm the chief engineer over at KNSD. We lost power due to a building outage and a bad transfer switch for backup power. We've spent most of the day trying to get everything stabilized. COZI is definitely here to stay, and I'll reach out to TWC to find out why it's not being passed.

Let me know if you see anything else out of the ordinary.
For whatever reason, we can't get 39.2 Cozi OTA. 39.1 comes in fine. It doesn't make sense. Do you know why?

RE: COZI TV on 39.2--movies or slide show?

We like COZI, but the old movies (e.g. Fred Astaire) are not really moving! They are more like a fast slide show--motion is not smooth, almost unwatchable (on air & cable). Since other programming is fine, I'm guessing it's the source material. Surely they can fix this soon!

DRB

After over a month, San Diego TWC has finally updated the guide info for the COZI-TV channel they carry on digital channel 253.

COZI Ken Kramer's show--audio broken

(This occurs for OTA and Cox signals.) For approx. 3 weeks, Ken Kramer's "About San Diego" has been shown in prime time. It's a fine show, but not when the audio is "broken", as it has for several shows--super loud, raspy, nasty noise (technical terms elude me!) makes it unwatchable. This happened most recently on 3/22. All other ch. 39.2 shows have ok audio.

It happens at 8PM, and wouldn't you think Mr. Mackinnond and his crew would notice and fix it? I just don't get it. Am I the ONLY one watching???

Mackinnond

The ingest of the show got screwed up. Thanks for the heads up. The guys monitoring our channel probably weren't listening to the audio. Just looking for pictures and sound. I'll see if I can get them to reingest before the next airing. Thanks for watching.

Mackinnond

RE: COZI Ken Kramer's show--audio broken

D. Bronzini said:
(This occurs for OTA and Cox signals.) For approx. 3 weeks, Ken Kramer's "About San Diego" has been shown in prime time. It's a fine show, but not when the audio is "broken", as it has for several shows--super loud, raspy, nasty noise (technical terms elude me!) makes it unwatchable. This happened most recently on 3/22. All other ch. 39.2 shows have ok audio.

It happens at 8PM, and wouldn't you think Mr. Mackinnond and his crew would notice and fix it? I just don't get it. Am I the ONLY one watching???
I wanted to get back to you on this. We've found the issue and it was related to an audio encoding problem. It should be corrected going forward.

For those of you that are interested in the technical setup, these shows exist as media clips (high quality video files) and shows that aired a long time ago (like About SD) are stored in a large SAN managed by our playout software. A version difference between the playout software and the storage software stripped the audio PIDs causing all the audio channels to collapse into stereo, muffling the overall audio (since this is a stereo show). The monitoring software we use to check everything we do, looks for freezes and black on their air and listens for audio changes (a lack of which would mean there was a problem). Since the audio was changing (thought it was garbled), the software thought the program was fine. We really do try to actually get human ears/eyes to watch everything we do, but sometimes we don't know about things until viewers tell us. So, I really appreciate the feedback.

Keep on enjoying Cozi and let me know if there's anything else you see/hear that I can help with.

Mackinnond said:
D. Bronzini said:

I wanted to get back to you on this. We've found the issue and it was related to an audio encoding problem. It should be corrected going forward.

For those of you that are interested in the technical setup, these shows exist as media clips (high quality video files) and shows that aired a long time ago (like About SD) are stored in a large SAN managed by our playout software. A version difference between the playout software and the storage software stripped the audio PIDs causing all the audio channels to collapse into stereo, muffling the overall audio (since this is a stereo show). The monitoring software we use to check everything we do, looks for freezes and black on their air and listens for audio changes (a lack of which would mean there was a problem). Since the audio was changing (thought it was garbled), the software thought the program was fine. We really do try to actually get human ears/eyes to watch everything we do, but sometimes we don't know about things until viewers tell us. So, I really appreciate the feedback.

Keep on enjoying Cozi and let me know if there's anything else you see/hear that I can help with.
New Incident (could we?):
Friday evening (4/12) around 10-11PM, OTA COZI video was a "frozen frame" of a credits roll. It must have been up there at least 1/2 hr.
Maybe you could post a number, and we (SDHTVr's) could call in to your engineering dept. and advise them of the problem.

Mackinnond

If you notice an issue, call (619) 663-9390. That's the engineering hotline and it will transcribe the voice-mail and email my team immediately. Please just use it for outages.

Thanks for your help.

rcamacho

I'm in Carlsbad and I don't get COZI through the Time Warner cable box. I called them and they said that they were not aware of this station and that it was probably getting through their filter. I find this all very strange. I'm enjoying COZI 39.2 directly from my TV by bypassing the Time Warners cable box. I haven't check yet but I wonder what else TWC is filtering out.