Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Current TWC Internet Speeds

DRB

Did TWC up their standard internet speed to 15Mbps from 10Mbps some months ago?
I know the "turbo" speed used to be 15Mbps and is now 20Mpbs.
I got a special $10 extra rate for "turbo" speed for one year, and that should be up soon.
I used to have standard speed that was 10Mbps, so I want to know what speed I would get now if I remove the turbo?

They either did or are in the process increasing internet speeds this. The speed increase is being rolled out by each TWC division. Here's the link for more info.

http://stopthecap.com/2013/08/07/time-warner-cable-quietly-delivers-nationwide-incremental-internet-speed-upgrade/

smitty825

DRB said:
Did TWC up their standard internet speed to 15Mbps from 10Mbps some months ago?
I know the "turbo" speed used to be 15Mbps and is now 20Mpbs.
I got a special $10 extra rate for "turbo" speed for one year, and that should be up soon.
I used to have standard speed that was 10Mbps, so I want to know what speed I would get now if I remove the turbo?
TWC upgraded their standard internet speed sometime late last year to 15mbps.

If you downgrade from Turbo to Standard your speed will be 15/1 (from 20/2).

I think that they are still running the $10 special, so you might be able to extend it for another year if you enjoy the extra speed.

DRB

I called TWC today to downgrade my internet from turbo to standard speed.
I had a $10/month special for 12 months and that expired this month so the extra price for turbo was now $20/month, not worth the increase to me since TWC increased the speed of standard to ~16Mb/sec.
I measured with online speed tests under turbo speed I got 22Mb/s dl and 2.2Mb/s ul, and with the new standard speed I am getting 16Mb/s dl and 1.0Mb/s ul.
I also confirmed downloading a large file via torrent it maxed out at 1.7MByte/sec download speed which was excellent compared to the "old" standard speed I had a year ago which maxed out at 1.2MByte/sec, while turbo speed got up to about 2.2MByte/sec.

DRB said:
I called TWC today to downgrade my internet from turbo to standard speed.
I had a $10/month special for 12 months and that expired this month so the extra price for turbo was now $20/month, not worth the increase to me since TWC increased the speed of standard to ~16Mb/sec.
I measured with online speed tests under turbo speed I got 22Mb/s dl and 2.2Mb/s ul, and with the new standard speed I am getting 16Mb/s dl and 1.0Mb/s ul.
I also confirmed downloading a large file via torrent it maxed out at 1.7MByte/sec download speed which was excellent compared to the "old" standard speed I had a year ago which maxed out at 1.2MByte/sec, while turbo speed got up to about 2.2MByte/sec.

Thanks for the info. I am paying extra too for a higher speed plan. I plan to check my speed again and compare plans.

DRB

fblack_111 said:
Thanks for the info. I am paying extra too for a higher speed plan. I plan to check my speed again and compare plans.
Now that the new speed difference between standard (16Mb/s) and turbo(22Mb/s) is relatively small for the price difference, I feel standard is plenty fast enough for me.
The old standard (10Mb/s) was fine and a year or two ago turbo speed was 15Mb/s so the new standard is like the "old" turbo.
The higher speeds are really useful if you have a need for several high speed streams at the same time, shared on a network, but I only use one internet device at a time mostly.

Anyone hear if and when San Diego TW Roadrunnner plans to increase speeds up to 100Mb/s? I saw a few stories that they have made the increase in L.A. The local reps seem to have no information.

I spoke to a TW rep and saw a story on the Internet (see below) that TW will roll out 100 Mbps+ to San Diego around July 7th. That date will probably prove wrong. But I noticed two interesting items in the story. First, they actually said they will roll out up to 200/300 Mbps service. And second, they have a chart which says what types of modems are needed to get these speeds.

I bought a Docsis 3 modem SB6121 a few years ago. The box says it's good up to 160 Mbps. And I get TW's 50/5 just fine right now. But the chart in the story says my modem will not support Ultimate 100 or higher. Which is too bad. I would hate to have to buy another modem again. And the chart goes on to say to get Ultimate 200 or 300, you need to buy an SB6183. And according to the TW rep, they have increased their modem rentals to $5.99 a month. Anyone have any additional info?

July 20, 2014: TIME WARNER CABLE ROLLING OUT 300 AND 200 MBPS SERVICE JULY 7TH

"...Time Warner Cable is rolling out one of the fastest internet speeds available in the country today next month. Our sources have been indicating to us that Time Warner Cable has been in the process of rolling out a 200/300 Mbps service in the San Diego area....However, with the new speed structures Ultimate customers will be getting 300/20 Mbps for $64.99 a month while Extreme customers will pay $54.99 a month for 200/20 Mbps speeds. We don’t know what will happen to the lower tiers, but I would expect that the Turbo customers may actually see 100 Mbps depending on what kind of a modem they have. Below that, I would expect to see Standard probably get upgraded to 30 Mbps, ... However, in order to get these 200 Mbps and 300 Mbps speeds from Time Warner Cable users will have to upgrade from their current models."

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/2014/06/20/time-warner-cable-rolling-out-300-and-200-mbps-service-july-7th/

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you do need a SB6183 for Ultimate 200 and 300, but that modem won't come out until next month for retail. The fastest speeds you can get with a non 16 channel modem is 100/10 which is the turbo tier, which you can downgrade to if you are happy with those speeds. Also, there is a Netgear modem/router combo that is coming out that will support 16 channels. I have a SB6141 and the standard tier, so I am ok with keeping my current modem. Also, there is a new SB6183 firmware (v9.2.0.0-GA-03-29-NOSH), which is I think the retail release firmware. I would wait until next month to get a 6183 as they are going for $220 on ebay, plus they are not retail modems as they black. Retail SB6183's will be white, just like the 6141. Right now, TWC is using an Arris Modem wifi combo, though some also have telephony (triple-play) for Ultimate 200 and 300 service.

DRB

Will those of us with standard TWC internet speed (currently about 16Mb/s dl, 1Mb/s ul) get a free speed upgrade in the near future? If so to what speed?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
DRB said:
Will those of us with standard TWC internet speed (currently about 16Mb/s dl, 1Mb/s ul) get a free speed upgrade in the near future? If so to what speed?
Here are the new Speed tiers.

Everyday Low Price: 3/1
Lite: 10/1
Standard: 50/5
Turbo: 100/10
Ultimate 200 (Replaces Extreme 30/5): 200/20 (Requires a 16x4 modem, modem/router combo, and/or modem/router/telephony device)
Ultimate 300 (Replaces 50/5 and 100/5): 300/20 (Requires 16x4 capable device as mentioned in Ultimate 200.)

So yes, Standard tier is getting a nice increase to 50/5 which will require a Docsis 3.0 modem with 4 channel bonds or better. I believe the SB6141 would be a good choice or the Zoom 5341J. Those who do not upgrade their modem, will not see the new speeds. Hope this answers your question, DRB.

Admin65 said:
DRB said:

Lite: 15/1
Ultimate 200 (Replaces Extreme 30/5): 200/20 (Requires a 16x4 modem, modem/router combo, and/or modem/router/telephony device)
Ultimate 300 (Replaces 50/5 and 100/5): 300/20 (Requires 16x4 capable device as mentioned in Ultimate 200.)

So yes, Standard tier is getting a nice increase to 50/5 which will require a Docsis 3.0 modem with 4 channel bonds or better. I believe the SB6141 would be a good choice or the Zoom 5341J. Those who do not upgrade their modem, will not see the new speeds. Hope this answers your question, DRB.
Problem for me is I bought the sb6121 way back when TW started to charge for modems. I did not want to pay extra for a modem/router combo. Very few modems were even available to buy. I did read I might be able to get just under 100 Mbps even with my 6121. (According to a forum post from someone who has one. ). But since I cannot get their highest speeds, I will probably just stop paying extra for their current Ultimate (50/5) and just drop back down to their new standard which will be the same 50/5 and save about $30 a month.

As an FYI, A year ago I started to pay for 30/5. Then upgraded several months ago to 50/5. And I could not see any real benefits or change. So I was planning to drop back to the 30/5 and save the extra $10. But a rep said sit tight and wait for the late June/July roll out of their 100/200 speeds. So I will wait a few weeks more. If I see no speed increases on my 6121, I will drop back to their new standard. I specifically asked the rep if my modem was adequate. She said yes. But I am sure she had no idea what is really needed.
[hr]
Admin65 said:
DRB said:

I am not sure about current modem prices, but with my sb6121 I get 50/5. So maybe there is a savings for someone who is not concerned about those new 100+ speeds to save a few dollars and just wants a basic Docsis 3.0 modem.

DRB

I currently have the older Motorola SB5101 cable modem I bought used really cheap a couple years ago.
I know it can do 20Mb/s download, possibly up to 30Mb/s.
So if TWC increased the standard internet speed I have now from 16Mb/s to 50Mb/s should I then get the max speed the SB5101 could handle (~30Mb/s)?
I realize to get the full 50MB/s I would have to buy a SB6141 modem however.
[hr]
I also see a Motorola SB6121 modem at amazon thats also listed as Docsis 3.0 - would that model also work as well as the SB614 for 50Mb/s+ download speeds and is it compatible with TWC?

kevinc

Admin65 said:

So yes, Standard tier is getting a nice increase to 50/5
I just got a letter saying "As a thank you for your continued business, we'd like to extend you another special offer on your services... when your promotional ratecomes to an end on July 7 you'll keep enjoying the services you love for [an increase of $15 a month]". I've already eliminated all cable boxes (I use cablecard tuners/Windows MediaCenter) and have my own SB6121 modem. Netflix/M-Go/Itunes movies all stream perfectly at my current standard 15/1 speed so maybe I'll downgrade to Lite from July 7 and retain the same 15/1 speed for less money...

DRB

When will these new speeds be active for current TWC internet subscribers?
My current standard cable internet is still giving me ~16Mb/s download and 1Mb/s upload speeds.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
DRB said:
I currently have the older Motorola SB5101 cable modem I bought used really cheap a couple years ago.
I know it can do 20Mb/s download, possibly up to 30Mb/s.
So if TWC increased the standard internet speed I have now from 16Mb/s to 50Mb/s should I then get the max speed the SB5101 could handle (~30Mb/s)?
I realize to get the full 50MB/s I would have to buy a SB6141 modem however.
[hr]
I also see a Motorola SB6121 modem at amazon thats also listed as Docsis 3.0 - would that model also work as well as the SB614 for 50Mb/s+ download speeds and is it compatible with TWC?
I believe the SB6121 is limited to 50/5, with TWC, but it at one point it did work with Ultimate 100/5. Anything over 50 mbps requires a SB6141, Zoom 5341J, or SB6183, just to name a few. Of course the 6183 works with the 200 and 300 tiers. Standard should work fine on a 6121, but a 6141 will also allow you to upgrade to Turbo and a 6183 for Extreme/Ultimate 200 and Ultimate 300. Most of the 6141 bugs have been fixed with the updated firmware, but good wiring helps.

DRB

I found this current TWC buy your own modem page with current model modems listed for different speeds:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/twc/en/residential-home/support/topics/internet/buy-your-modem.html/

Looks like both the Motorola SB6121 and SB6141 are listed as capable of up to the 50Mb/s dl speed.
However for 75Mb/s or 100Mb/s dl speeds only the SB6141 is listed, not the SB6121.
They also list a newer Motorola modem model coming out in July 2014: SB6183, looks like it will be more expensive but probably goes higher than 100Mb/s?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Also standard will be 50/5 and this might be phased launch, if LA, Austin, and NY are of any indication. Certain areas will get this and others won't.

DRB

Admin65 said:
Also standard will be 50/5 and this might be phased launch, if LA, Austin, and NY are of any indication. Certain areas will get this and others won't.
How about San Diego? Any idea on the start date for 50/5 standard internet speed here?