Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Current TWC Internet Speeds

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Reboot your modem, but there are a lot of variables to come into play for not getting your desired speed.

Mark57

Internet and phone went offline Wednesday afternoon which prompted the first reboot and yielded about 35/2 speeds, still with 8x4 bonding. Yesterday went to 16x4 but seems like they're still messing with the config as download speed kept increasing with time but upload was stuck at 2mbps. Perhaps I should also reboot my router tonight as I read that has helped a few others with uploads. Oh wait... I think my router is set to 2048 for uploads! :)

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah you should change the upload speed on your router to take full advantage of your tier.

Mark57

Yeah thanks, that and a few other settings have sorted out my results nicely, although SpeedOfMe only reports 50/8.7

TWC25MAR2016.png

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Also, TWC has a new firmware update coming soon for SB6183 in testing (D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.0.1-GA-01-NOSH). This is to fix ipv6 which the 6183 has a bug in the current release.

Mark57

I don't have that firmware yet, but my speeds dropped back down to 25/2.5 today :(
Rebooting doesn't help -Hopefully it's temporary.

Nile

I noticed my network transfers had been slow for about a week and finally ran tests last night. I found my speeds had dropped from the 50/6 I've been getting for months back to the old 17/1 "standard" data rate. TWC support tells me that the weren't planning on instituting the "MAX" rate for my area (92123) until June and 15/1 is the proper rate until the changeover. They say my higher speeds were probably the (temporary) results of "testing" in my area. :(

I also see that my cable modem (SB6141) is now IPv6 only mode and my IP address doled out by TWC DHCP has recently changed. Looks like I'm going to have to spend an hour logging into a dozen AWS accounts and change my whitelisted IP address in a couple of dozen VPC security groups.

DRB

I just ran a speed test tonight after rebooting my SB6141 cable modem yesterday and it too has dropped back to the old standard speed (15M/1M) compared to the >50M/5M I was getting for the past couple months!
I didn't know the higher speed was just a "test" for months?

SteveR

I am in 92126. My Internet went out Friday morning. So I reboot my modem. Since then I notice my 60/5 is back to 17/1.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I believe MAXX might officially start in June or something like that, so maybe they were testing it and accidentally enabled end users modems to test it out.

DRB

I believe MAXX might officially start in June or something like that, so maybe they were testing it and accidentally enabled end users modems to test it out.
Strange though that it was enabled for a little over 3 months at 50M/5M for me on my SB6141, thats a long "test" and since it worked well, why delay the start until June?

I have a thought on the delay. Just my opinion. Maybe they are waiting until the final decision and vote on the merger with Charter. I also read today that the California PUC is set to conduct their vote in early May. Maybe TW wants to let Charter make the final determination on Maxx? Then Charter set their own rules on prices, speeds, tiers, roll-out, modem upgrades etc.

Gandu

The TWC San Diego MAXX thread at dslreports.com has several people that had Maxx speeds, then lost it after a recent reboot of modem. Fortunately, I have not had to reboot and kept 58/6 on the standard (15/1) plan. There are reports of Maxx speeds re-appearing within the last few days. Maybe another reboot would bring it back, can't hurt to give it a try.

DRB

Like some others, I noticed my TWC internet speed went back up to 59M/6M today after dropping to the old 17M/1M speed the past week.
I didn't power off or reboot the modem or anything either.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it probably means that MAXX is coming soon! Rumor has it, that Charter is testing faster speeds in their network, or they might be waiting for DOCSIS 3.1 for such speeds. Charter was testing a 300 mbps tier. San Diego is probably going to be fully enabled in about a month or so.