Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Current TWC Internet Speeds

Gandu

I got the TWC upgrade letter today (92129 Park Village area), although I've had uninterrupted Maxx speed since late October 2015. Still at ~58/6 with sb6141 modem on the former 'Standard 15/1' plan. Glad to see the other areas finally come on line with Maxx.

smitty825

According to DSL Reports, Charter has put the "MAXX" upgrades on hold while they undergo further evaluations. Hopefully Charter speeds this launch up, as I've been excited about this upgrade for awhile. (Heh...or even better...Google shows up with Fiber at my house!)

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
According to DSL Reports, Charter has put the "MAXX" upgrades on hold while they undergo further evaluations. Hopefully Charter speeds this launch up, as I've been excited about this upgrade for awhile. (Heh...or even better...Google shows up with Fiber at my house!)
Google Fiber is probably a while back, and it might be for dense parts of SD like Mission Valley, Downtown, and maybe UTC area. Not sure when or if they will reach the burbs. It all depends on the franchising people and if Charter wants to fight back. MAXX is definitely here in 92127 though!

Nile

I got upgraded in Linda Vista a couple days ago, and I never got a letter.
I just read that message and thought "Hey, I live across the freeway from you [in Birdland]...I ought to do another speed test."

Sure enough...118Mbps down and 14.2Mbps up on an Arris 6141 cable modem. Maxx has arrived in Birdland. No letter from TWC.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Arris made a new SB6183 FW that allows for energy efficient Ethernet and the ability to alter the LED's by turning them off! This is for those who don't like the bright LED's! It also has the new fixes for IPv6 and maybe TWC is deploying that update, which cleared testing, but no schedule!

Last edited:

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.2.3-GA-01-NOSH Firmware is the version of the firmware. Arris is using the OSPREY branch for the SB6183 which uses a lower version number which is interesting!

Nile

D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.2.3-GA-01-NOSH Firmware is the version of the firmware. Arris is using the OSPREY branch for the SB6183 which uses a lower version number which is interesting!
Any inkling when TWC might be rolling this firmware out?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Firmware passed engineering, but management is being slow to roll it out. It also fixes IPv6 which is an issue on the SB6183 on TWC systems.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Plans are now going to be just 2 internet tiers, with a 3rd one (30/4) for those who qualify (Seniors over 65 who qualify for Social security, or those who have kids who qualify for school lunch program.) The tiers would be a 60/5 and a 100/5 but in upgraded markets it could be 100/10 and 300/20. Pricing would be $59.99/month but 53.99/month bundled and $29.99 for triple play for 1 year. Bundled promo (1 year) would be $39.99. 119.99 for the 100/5 tier and $99.99 promo rate with a 113.99/month for retail bundled rates.

Nile

Just ran another test using a different speed test site:

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 8.53.34 PM.png

Looks like my current maximum download speeds are too fast for some test sites to test properly...several other speed tests maxed out at around 235Mbps.

Last edited:

Nile

322 is a normal speed for MAXX 300, though the upload is rather nice! `
Yes, the upload speed makes my cloud backups go much quicker.
View media item 4I did a retest a couple of days ago and the d/l speed hit 364Mbps. It might be that my download speed tests are significantly affected by competition with other traffic on the local network segment or further upstream at intermediate routers, switches or even the test server NIC.

No matter...this almost an order of magnitude improvement over what I had a year ago.

Last edited:

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it is an improvement, but Charter is planning to keep the MAXX tiers (such as 100/10 and 300/20) in areas that have been upgraded. Of course, this will come at their prices and less tiers, but Charter knows that MAXX is something they cannot take away.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Spectrum (ex TWC) upgraded my SB6183 firmware to D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.2.3-GA-01-NOSH. It means IPv6 is finally here for 6183 modems.

Nile

Spectrum (ex TWC) upgraded my SB6183 firmware to D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.2.3-GA-01-NOSH. It means IPv6 is finally here for 6183 modems.
Just saw that. It looks like Spectrum did my update approximately 3am today. Time to adjust the modem LED settings....

Nile

I see that the D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.2.3-GA-01-NOSH firmware now has the Energy Efficient Ethernet configuration option. Does anyone have experience with using this setting? In particular, has anyone tested whether it actually saves energy or has seen any performance degradation with it enabled?