Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Current TWC Internet Speeds

DRB

Today I noticed my TWC internet speed has increased from the former 50-58Mbps download speed to over 70Mbps now!
Upload speed is about the same 6Mbps.
Pretty good for the "standard" speed.
I wonder if the "turbo" speed has increased as well now, significantly above the former 100mbps download rate?

Nile

For many weeks I've been getting 300+ Mbps download rates on what was the "Extreme 300" provisioning but I just did a couple of speed tests and find my current d/l rates are maxing out around 212Mbps. I'm hoping this isn't a recent Spectrum change. I'll try to do some more speed tests later tonight when the local cable segment should have low traffic.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Today I noticed my TWC internet speed has increased from the former 50-58Mbps download speed to over 70Mbps now!
Upload speed is about the same 6Mbps.
Pretty good for the "standard" speed.
I wonder if the "turbo" speed has increased as well now, significantly above the former 100mbps download rate?

TWC already overprovisioned turbo by like 10 to 12 percent on average.

Dickie

I see that the D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.2.3-GA-01-NOSH firmware now has the Energy Efficient Ethernet configuration option. Does anyone have experience with using this setting? In particular, has anyone tested whether it actually saves energy or has seen any performance degradation with it enabled?
No difference for me - I think as long as you're running standard 6/7ft ethernet cable lengths to the router you should be fine (rather than running 180ft across the house etc).

Have you also noticed the option to reboot the modem has been removed in this version too? Back to the good old days of pulling the plug out to reset it I guess :)

Nile

Have you also noticed the option to reboot the modem has been removed in this version too? Back to the good old days of pulling the plug out to reset it I guess :)
The button was removed because jokers would send emails to people that had a clickable link to the same link used by the button. If you were silly enough to click on the link you would reboot your modem and create a temporary "denial of service" attack on your own cable modem. The situation was widely reported and Motorola decided to remove the button/feature.

Dickie

Wow -this is why we can't have nice things ;-)

On a related topic, anyone running full IPv6 on their connection yet? I read they were pushing out a firmware release to enable it on my SB6183 (currently shows as IPv6 unsupported) but wasn't sure if it was the same firmware update.

Nile

The D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.2.3-GA-01-NOSH firmware is the version with the IPv6 fix. I see that the current TWC Internet compatible modems list revised on October 19, 2016 still identifies the SB6183 as "Not IPv6 compatible". I'm not running IPv6. My guess is that Spectrum/TWC simply neglected to remove the "not IPv6 compatible" note from the SB6183 in their compatible modems list.

Dickie

As if by magic , TWC bounced my modem for me at 4AM this morning - same version of the firmware as before (the one with the fix) , but I now see this in the event log as it comes up;

"Overriding MDD IP initialization parameters; IP provisioning mode = IPv6"

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
With Spectrum I have been getting around 100/10 mbps on the standard package which is quite good! Enough to easily stream 4K on Netflix as well as Amazon.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I have a SB6183 modem and I seem to be getting 200+ mbps speeds. Spectrum seems to have been good to us (internet wise).

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Downloaded something and it was averaging around 27 MB/s. Not bad for the base tier. Spectrum keeps getting faster and faster.

Gandu

I'm still around 70/6 on a SB6183. They must know you are "Admin65" and boosted your speed, similar to how automakers provide a special, optimized vehicle to auto magazines for testing:cool:

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
They must know you are "Admin65" and boosted your speed, similar to how automakers provide a special, optimized vehicle to auto magazines for testing:cool:
I wish, but Spectrum has been raising speeds over the past year or so. Maybe reboot your modem, I guess. I think those on legacy TWC plans get slower speeds or something like that. I believe I am on a Spectrum internet plan.