Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

CW switching to KFMB

DRB

Will that be a second HD sub-channel on channel 8? That would probably hurt the quality of both CBS and CW locally unfortunately.
Either that or they would reduce CW channel to SD only?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Will that be a second HD sub-channel on channel 8? That would probably hurt the quality of both CBS and CW locally unfortunately.
Though Cox and Spectrum will likely have a clean feed.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Though a 2HD, 1SD combination is likely. If ATSC 3.0 ever comes into fruition, then we could have more bandwidth and maybe MPEG-4 could make such combination rather watchable with 8VSB bandwidth.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Many CW subchannel stations are in HD, albeit in 720p instead of 1080i. I could see KFMB going 720p or doing a 1080i and 720p CW affiliate, though like I said, Cable could get a cleaner feed, if they wanted to.

I know that KPBS has a bunch of HD's on their OTA signal, and some Univision affiliates are going 2HD + 2SD on one 8VSB signal! So it can be done as there are some really advanced MPEG-2 encoders and statmuxers that can do a good job in allowing for more than 1 HD on one 8VSB.

Many smaller affiliates have CW on a subchannel and are doing the 720p while the main channel is in 1080i or the main channel is also downgraded to 720p.

Last edited:

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
8.1 KFMB-DT1 (CBS) (1080i or 720p, but most likely 1080i)
8.2 KFMB-DT2 (MeTV) (480i)
8.3 KFMB-DT3 (CW) (720p or even 480i, but I think they will be a 720p station but could even be 1080i! :O)

If I'm
Many CW subchannel stations are in HD, albeit in 720p instead of 1080i. I could see KFMB going 720p or doing a 1080i and 720p CW affiliate, though like I said, Cable could get a cleaner feed, if they wanted to.

I know that KPBS has a bunch of HD's on their OTA signal, and some Univision affiliates are going 2HD + 2SD on one 8VSB signal! So it can be done as there are some really advanced MPEG-2 encoders and statmuxers that can do a good job in allowing for more than 1 HD on one 8VSB.

Many smaller affiliates have CW on a subchannel and are doing the 720p while the main channel is in 1080i or the main channel is also downgraded to 720p.
Is it possible for these stations to use MPEG-4 as opposed to MPEG-2?

DRB

Don't think MPEG-4 is possible OTA since all existing TV OTA tuners only support MPEG-2.

Luckily CW network now offers free viewing of their recent shows via streaming on their website for PCs and thru a free CW app for mobile and Roku devices. Will probably be better for HD quality in the future with the most likely spotty and reduced resolution/quality of a sub-channel.

Last edited:

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
ATSC 3.0 is a possibility and maybe MPEG-4 is going to happen, but I think ATSC should go H.265 (MPEG-5) instead of MPEG-4. MPEG-5 or MPEG-4 might be needed if the greedy wireless carriers get what they want as they want to rid the US of OTA so they can have all the spectrum to themselves.

jay214128

As I understand it, ATSC 1 and ATSC 3.0 cannot be simulcasted on the same station at the same time. They use different modulation schemes. The ATSC 1 to ATSC 3.0 transition would involve stations cooperating to share one transmitter for both station's ATSC 1 (MPEG2) transmissions while sharing the other transmitter for ATSC 3.0 (H.265) transmissions. Once the transition period ends, the ATSC 1 transmitter would switch to ATSC 3.0 and the sub channels reshuffled.

This will result in much lower picture quality during the transition.

KNSD is already transmitting two 1080i and two 480i sub channels.

I haven't recorded any programs off XETV for several years (too much co-channel interference on channel 23). I get all of my CW programming from KTLA.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I see, but not sure if the US govt. is going to want to another transition along with Mexico. This is all for the cell phone carrriers to make more money for 5G.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
As I understand it, ATSC 1 and ATSC 3.0 cannot be simulcasted on the same station at the same time. They use different modulation schemes. The ATSC 1 to ATSC 3.0 transition would involve stations cooperating to share one transmitter for both station's ATSC 1 (MPEG2) transmissions while sharing the other transmitter for ATSC 3.0 (H.265) transmissions. Once the transition period ends, the ATSC 1 transmitter would switch to ATSC 3.0 and the sub channels reshuffled.

This will result in much lower picture quality during the transition.

KNSD is already transmitting two 1080i and two 480i sub channels.

I haven't recorded any programs off XETV for several years (too much co-channel interference on channel 23). I get all of my CW programming from KTLA.
The plan for ATSC 3.0 might require HDMI 2.1 if broadcasters want to do 120hz programming, but that might take a while as companies have not yet released TV's with that spec. It might be an eventual possibility, but the initial plan is 1080p with HDR (which will likely be an improvement over the current ATSC 1.0), but boxes might be able to offer some kind of motion handling to down convert the 120hz signal to 60p. Then again next year some TV makers are going to be putting in ATSC 3.0 chips in their sets and I know LG has some in Korea. LG is definitely putting them in next year for the US! Then again there are plans for yet another codec to supersede H.265 called AV-1 which would likely make 8K 120P programming possible. Then again 4K is likely going to stay for a while along with 60p. Though HDMI 2.0 can do 1080p120 without any difficulties, but HDMI 2.1 is going to screw us like me who bought a 2016 spec TV with HDMI 2.1. I could see some TV's getting HDMI 2.1 but only like one input in 2018 as the chips need to get out there or even on the high end sets. I might buy another TV for my room and maybe then it might have HDMI 2.1 or any future TV.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/san-diego-cw-affiliation-moving-from-xetv-to-kfmb.15861/page-10#post-175288

Looks like Jim Bunner will be the EP for the morning news on the CW station. Bunner has been working at KFMB for several years and according to Eat News on TVNT he seems to be a good person to have on the team. He has worked at KEYT and KMST 46. I think the plan is to continue on with the KFMB news cast on the CW station; however KFMB will be airing CBS This Morning on the main channel for those who like to watch that show. I think the news casts will likely be extensions of the KFMB newscasts just at different times such as 4PM and 10PM. Who knows what the plan is in store, but XETV is still soldering on, albeit at reduced newscast capacity.

I wonder if DirecTV and u-verse will pickup the CW Network when it leaves XETV and moves over to KFMB. DirecTV and u-verse tend not to pick up secondary digital subchannels.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if DirecTV and u-verse will pickup the CW Network when it leaves XETV and moves over to KFMB. DirecTV and u-verse tend not to pick up secondary digital subchannels.
I think both will carry it as it is a major afilliate.

It starts on September 1st, 2017 for KFMB to air CW Network programming and will be on OTA channel 8.3

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/tv/sd-et-television-20170126-story,amp.html

As a corollary XETV is shutting down its English language programming including it's news department effective May 31st, 2017 and will be switching to Spanish language programming.
As of 4/30/17, Ch. 8.2 (was MeTV), is airing a horrid non-stop message saying "this channel will be CW on May 31st".
...and what will become of MeTV??

Randy

Yes, what the heck is going on? I thought this was going on 8.3? Grit TV is horrid - a Chuck Norris channel.