Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Digital TV Question

SunShineCA

We have 4 TVs in our house. Two of them are hooked up to DVRs (SA8300HD and Samsung 3270) and the other two are just connected to wall jacks via standard cables.

TWC just sent us a letter about some channels going digital -- I don't care about any of them -- but that got me thinking. They are saying we should get a digital set-top box free of charge thru 11/30/2013 (no telling how much they would charge for "installation") and it'll be 99 cents a month after that (and probably would go up in a month or two to like $5 a month).

Can someone please give me an advice on what I should do to get digital programming on the two TVs without DVRs? One of them is a plasma TV (Pioneer PDP-4271HD) and another is an LCD TV (Sharp LC-222DV27UT).

Thanks so much!

Rick Shaw

SunShineCA said:

Can someone please give me an advice on what I should do to get digital programming on the two TVs without DVRs? One of them is a plasma TV (Pioneer PDP-4271HD) and another is an LCD TV (Sharp LC-222DV27UT).

Thanks so much!
If the digital programing is not encrypted, those TVs should receive the programming without a STB, as they do now with local affiliates' HDTV signals. If the programming is encrypted, then a STB is needed (or a CableCARD if the TV is so equipped.)