Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

DVR models available in San Diego

slinke

Does anybody have a list of the DVRs that are available through Time Warner in San Diegom including their hard drive size/recording capacity? Apparently, after the change where tuning to the SD version of channel actually tunes in the HD version, one can no longer record programs in SD, if they are also available in HD. And apparently, some people have DVRs that only hold about 20 hours of HD.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I have the recent MoCA boxes which have a 500GB HDD and they also have a 16x9 EPG, but that can be set to 4x3, if your vision is not good. Right now you can Motorola/Arris DCX-M boxes, Samsung, and Cisco HD-DVR with 500 GB HDD. I have the Cisco 8642HDC, and Samsung 3272 boxes.

Here are the latest DVR boxes with 500 GB HDD.

Samsung 3272
Cisco 8642HDC, 8742HDC,
Motorola/Arris DCX3400-M, DCX3510-M

Also there are 320 GB DVR's such as the Cisco 8640HDC, and Samsung 3270 which have 320 GB HDD and 16x9 guide.

slinke

Admin65 said:
I have the recent MoCA boxes which have a 500GB HDD and they also have a 16x9 EPG, but that can be set to 4x3, if your vision is not good. Right now you can Motorola/Arris DCX-M boxes, Samsung, and Cisco HD-DVR with 500 GB HDD. I have the Cisco 8642HDC, and Samsung 3272 boxes.

Samsung 3272
Cisco 8642HDC, 8742HDC,

Also there are 320 GB DVR's such as the Cisco 8640HDC, and Samsung 3270 which have 320 GB HDD and 16x9 guide.
Thanks for the very informative reply! I am actually in North County, but I know somebody who is very frustrated. They have complained several times to Time Warner, but Time Warner keeps telling them that the only DVR options available are the Scientific Atlanta 8300 or 8240, unless they pay extra for Whole House DVR. What do they need to do to get a higher capacity DVR short of switching to satellite?

slinke said:
Admin65 said:

Samsung 3272
Cisco 8642HDC, 8742HDC,

Thanks for the very informative reply! I am actually in North County, but I know somebody who is very frustrated. They have complained several times to Time Warner, but Time Warner keeps telling them that the only DVR options available are the Scientific Atlanta 8300 or 8240, unless they pay extra for Whole House DVR. What do they need to do to get a higher capacity DVR short of switching to satellite?
It seems to be the luck of the draw when you go to a TW store to change out a dvr. I have a Cisco dvr with the bigger drive. I once went to change it out, and all they had was SA boxes. I declined to exchange it.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Latest North County boxes are the DCX3510-M and DCX3400-M, though there might be Samsung boxes available running OCAP digital navigator. Those in the Carlsbad area (ex Adelphia), would have to switch to Navigator guide which is different than the iGuide software.

I have a Cisco 8640, I got it in July 2010. What's newer and available now? I'd like more storage (maybe 1 TB) and more tuners (maybe 6 tuners vs. 2 tuners I have now).

No problems with current box, just doing am inquiry.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
There is a 6 tuner DVR in the works made by Arris and it is available in MAXX areas for 3/month extra. Some are beta testing this as DVR 3.0. It has 6 tuners and a 1TB HDD, and we could get this later this year.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Also, there is a new enhanced Program guide called DVR 3.0 that is being used on these boxes, though some areas are also using Navigator on this box.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
TWC is also testing a 6 tuner Cisco DVR (model number 9865HDC) in some markets, but the primary 6 tuner DVR is the Arris DCX3600M.

Rick Shaw

TWC is also testing a 6 tuner Cisco DVR (model number 9865HDC) in some markets, but the primary 6 tuner DVR is the Arris DCX3600M.
The Cisco 9865HDC has proven to be a less than stellar performer on Cox's system. But most of the 9865HDCs are on WHDVR networks with mediocre installation quality (wiring, splitters, POE filter.)

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
We have different software, so we might get different bugs. TWC has given these enhanced DVR's to non whole home subscribers for an additional fee. Those with the multi room setup, can also get one as well.

Rick Shaw

We have different software, so we might get different bugs. TWC has given these enhanced DVR's to non whole home subscribers for an additional fee. Those with the multi room setup, can also get one as well.
Cox charges the same ($8.50) rental fee for both the 2-tuner and 6-tuner DVRs, but they charge $19.99 for the 6-tuner service fee while it's only $11.99 for the 2-tuner service fee.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Time warner only charges $3/month more for the enhanced dvr vs the standard dvr. Not sure what whole house dvr subscribers pay for enhanced dvr?

Rick Shaw

Time warner only charges $3/month more for the enhanced dvr vs the standard dvr. Not sure what whole house dvr subscribers pay for enhanced dvr?
As policy, Cox is only letting WHDVR customers have a 9865HDC, but I have heard from some individuals who got one to use as a stand-alone. Don't know how much less they pay, however. If anything...

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Enhanced DVR's are officially available and there is a new Triple Play for Existing customers that comes with one + a HD Box as well. You can also add an additional one for only $28.75/month.

Satch

Also, there is a new enhanced Program guide called DVR 3.0 that is being used on these boxes, though some areas are also using Navigator on this box.
I assume that DVR 3.0 would be the equivalent of the Navigator Cloud based guide on supporting boxes? Any info on features of DVR 3.0?

Satch

Satch

Greetings,
I would go to the local TWC office and say, "I have had bad luck with all SA boxes and need a newer box to take advantage of TWC's advanced technologies not available on the SA boxes." You might have better luck with a swap by a tech. He may have newer boxes on the truck than the stores. Customers can ask the tech, "Can you please install a newer box for me? Multiple box swaps for the same out-dated SA-models have been nothing but problems. I would like to try a newer model box to explore the new menus and features." They should be able to work something out. Any box that isn't an SA model should have the cloud-based guide on it with the new features. (HD, Widescrean, VOD Cover-Art VOD Portal, New DVR Manager, new cloud-based keyboard search.)

One note is that you must be having problems with your cable service for a truck roll swap regarding an upgrade to a new box with no fee involved. If you have TWC come out and bring a new box without any cable related problems, you may be charged a truck roll fee of approximately $40. There is no charge for any truck rolls or equipment replacements for cable related service issues. Obviously, there is no charge for taking your box in for a swap or exchange. (Unless you upgrade services like add a Premium Channel or something.) But it is the "luck of the draw" as to what box makes and models the office has in stock. Inventory changes daily and some of the counter reps may have an "attitude." Or think that the boxes are all the same!

Satch