Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

FS San Diego

I wish this new FSN channel would be here already, but leave it to the Padres to screw up the ownership transition. I want my Clippers games!

Rick Shaw

RE: Any new HD channels in the pipline?

bookertdub said:
I wish this new FSN channel would be here already, but leave it to the Padres to screw up the ownership transition. I want my Clippers games!
FSN San Diego will have the Clippers? Fer sure?

Not for sure, but I can dream! From what I've been reading according to the North County Times, that if this supposed FSN San Diego starts up, they are going mimic Prime Ticket's schedule with the exception of Dodgers games. Either that or launch a Prime Ticket feed just for San Diego.

Rick Shaw

bookertdub said:
Not for sure, but I can dream! From what I've been reading according to the North County Times, that if this supposed FSN San Diego starts up, they are going mimic Prime Ticket's schedule with the exception of Dodgers games. Either that or launch a Prime Ticket feed just for San Diego.
That would be great. But then I wonder if TWC/Cox will bother keeping FSN-West once the Lakers move to the new TWC Sports Channel. Kings fans be afraid - be VERY afraid.

Wouldn't that be ironic, Lakers leave for Time Warner Cable's RSN, and the Clippers move to FSN West, Cox & Time Warner then drop FSN West, and then we're back to square 1ou again. On top of that the Pac 12 Network comes into play this fall, so one would imagine there would be a lot less PAC 12 Conference programming on the RSNs within the PAC 12 footprint. What I do know though is that the PAC 12 Network does have distribution agreements with Bright House Networks, Comcast, Cox, & Time Warner Cable.

SatViewer

Rick Shaw said:
FSN San Diego will have the Clippers? Fer sure?
Its supposed to be a mirror of Prime Ticket, but with Padre games. They have no other programing to fill space.

Rick Shaw

bookertdub said:
"An announcement on Ford could be made soon, with the Padres' deal with Fox still on track for an announcement in early January, industry sources said."

Boy, has that proven to be optimistic.

"Because of the short turnaround between the announcement of the deal with the Padres and the start of the 2012 season, Fox this year is expected to carry Padres games on FSN-Prime Ticket, which is carried on Time Warner in San Diego, but not Cox."

Didn't realize TWC San Diego carried Prime Ticket. I thought just the old Adelphia areas around Carlsbad did. So, according to this, the PT/Padre tie-in would be only the first year. So in 2013 ?????

"Eventually, Fox Sports San Diego is expected to land on its own channel with content similar to FSN-Prime and Fox Sports Ohio, which carries the Cincinnati Reds, the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Cleveland Cavaliers, the AHL's Lake Erie Monsters and many Xavier, Cincinnati and Dayton games."

This is hardly "...a mirror of Prime Ticket." It could just as easily be (incorrectly) termed "a mirror of Fox Sports Ohio."

"Though San Diego doesn't have such a variety of sports, there's reason to believe that Fox Sports San Diego would cut deals with San Diego State, USD, UC San Diego, Cal State San Marcos and Point Loma Nazarene. The San Diego Sockers are a popular indoor soccer team that could be a target, especially if the team can get an arena built. And high school sports would be a definite target; new CIF San Diego Section commissioner Jerry Schniepp said the section would love to be involved."

Further and further away from being "a mirror of Prime Ticket."

Bottom line - as I suspected - is that nobody knows yet. It's just speculation.

Marco

I'm sure there are more articles out there on what will fill the programming for the new FS San Diego, but this comes close to what Rick wants to know.
FS San Diego details
Also of note, the FS San Diego website shows as Coming Soon. So it could very well be that they might not even need to brand as Prime Ticket. The buildup of FS San Diego will take time as FOX will work to get local teams to come on board, and well with the bulk of the programming coming from Prime Ticket, filling those empty hours shouldn't be too hard. During Friday's chat, Bill Center of U-T San Diego mentioned that there have been rumors that an announcement could come next week and that possibly FS San Diego will be on Channel 68. As far as Spring training games are concerned, there is no word on what if any games will be shown, but there was an article out of Milwaukee a few days ago saying that the March 31st game between the Brewers and Padres was going to be simulcast by FS Wisconsin but produced by another FS regional network. So take it for what its worth.

SatViewer

Rick Shaw said:
Eh... Not so much....

The network will broadcast other Southern California teams, such as the Los Angeles Clippers and the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, which are normally shown on Fox Sports Prime Ticket. Fox Sports Prime Ticket, a Los Angeles-based Regional Sports Network, can only be viewed in San Diego through AT&T U-verse and Time Warner Cable.

Rick Shaw

SatViewer said:
Rick Shaw said:
Eh... Not so much....

The network will broadcast other Southern California teams, such as the Los Angeles Clippers and the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, which are normally shown on Fox Sports Prime Ticket. Fox Sports Prime Ticket, a Los Angeles-based Regional Sports Network, can only be viewed in San Diego through AT&T U-verse and Time Warner Cable.
So, showing a little of the same programming as Prime Ticket makes it "a mirror of Prime Ticket" ?? If 10% of it's programming was the same as Prime Ticket, and 90% of it was different, would it be "a mirror of Prime Ticket"?? Of course not.

SatViewer

Rick Shaw said:
SatViewer said:
Rick Shaw said:
Eh... Not so much....

So, showing a little of the same programming as Prime Ticket makes it "a mirror of Prime Ticket" ?? If 10% of it's programming was the same as Prime Ticket, and 90% of it was different, would it be "a mirror of Prime Ticket"?? Of course not.
You might want to read the articles in their totality. Its more than just the Ducks and Clippers. In addition, basic subs are probably losing what is currently "Prime Ticket" in the San Diego market as an RSN and keeping FSWest (Primary) while gaining Fox Sports San Diego (Subchannel - as it is apparently going to be called). If you are on Satellite or U-Verse and have the sports package, nothing will really change other than the addition of the San Diego channel. Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if Prime Ticket becomes Fox Sports Los Angeles which is the kind of change we're now seeing in all the Fox Sports branding where there are multiple sub channel markets within a larger region.

Rick Shaw

SatViewer said:
Rick Shaw said:
SatViewer said:
Rick Shaw said:
Eh... Not so much....

You might want to read the articles in their totality. Its more than just the Ducks and Clippers. In addition, basic subs are probably losing what is currently "Prime Ticket" in the San Diego market as an RSN and keeping FSWest (Primary) while gaining Fox Sports San Diego (Subchannel - as it is apparently going to be called). If you are on Satellite or U-Verse and have the sports package, nothing will really change other than the addition of the San Diego channel. Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if Prime Ticket becomes Fox Sports Los Angeles which is the kind of change we're now seeing in all the Fox Sports branding where there are multiple sub channel markets within a larger region.
The article speaks for itself. "Though San Diego doesn't have such a variety of sports, there's reason to believe that Fox Sports San Diego would cut deals with San Diego State, USD, UC San Diego, Cal State San Marcos and Point Loma Nazarene. The San Diego Sockers are a popular indoor soccer team that could be a target, especially if the team can get an arena built. And high school sports would be a definite target; new CIF San Diego Section commissioner Jerry Schniepp said the section would love to be involved."

As I said, hardly "a mirror of Prime Ticket."

SatViewer

Rick Shaw said:
The article speaks for itself. "Though San Diego doesn't have such a variety of sports, there's reason to believe that Fox Sports San Diego would cut deals with San Diego State, USD, UC San Diego, Cal State San Marcos and Point Loma Nazarene. The San Diego Sockers are a popular indoor soccer team that could be a target, especially if the team can get an arena built. And high school sports would be a definite target; new CIF San Diego Section commissioner Jerry Schniepp said the section would love to be involved."

Problem is Rick, they don't have any of that programing, so until they do it's going to be a mirror of Prime Ticket.

Sometimes I think you would argue with a walnut that it's not a walnut. Then again, you aren't used to having two Fox Sports channels available to you on cable so you wouldn't know how this works. Never-the-less, a walnut is still a walnut, even if you insist it is not and everyone else can see that it is.

Rick Shaw

SatViewer said:
Rick Shaw said:

Problem is Rick, they don't have any of that programing, so until they do it's going to be a mirror of Prime Ticket.

Sometimes I think you would argue with a walnut that it's not a walnut. Then again, you aren't used to having two Fox Sports channels available to you on cable so you wouldn't know how this works. Never-the-less, a walnut is still a walnut, even if you insist it is not and everyone else can see that it is.
It doesn't even exist yet, for that matter. So, any talk of what will be on the channel is speculation. The article speculated that it would be PT for the first year. After that, who knows? You're guessing that it will be "a mirror of Prime Ticket." I'm saying, based on the article, no way. We'll see in the second year.

And, speaking of nuts, welcome back HDTV4ME.

SatViewer

Rick Shaw said:
It doesn't even exist yet, for that matter. So, any talk of what will be on the channel is speculation. The article speculated that it would be PT for the first year. After that, who knows? You're guessing that it will be "a mirror of Prime Ticket." I'm saying, based on the article, no way. We'll see in the second year.

And, speaking of nuts, welcome back HDTV4ME.
Straight to homerville.

SatViewer

At this point I don't care if they call it the home knitting network, the Padres are getting $30 to 40 million a year in revenue from it this year alone!

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/feb/14/padres-tv-haul-2012-could-reach-40m/