Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

h264/MPEG4 video

kevinc

Does anybody know when/if TWC plans to deploy h264/MPEG4 video on the SDV or all protected channels? As my htpc build with windows Media Center relies on Intel's integrated graphics that are not compatible with the format I'd like some warning so that I can take appropriate action beforehand. (I want to leave it as late as possible to give myself all options, including replacing motherboard/processor with a later generation Intel integrated that does support if that becomes available or just finding the lowest power fanless compatible video card available at that time if necessary.)

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
kevinc said:
Does anybody know when/if TWC plans to deploy h264/MPEG4 video on the SDV or all protected channels? As my htpc build with windows Media Center relies on Intel's integrated graphics that are not compatible with the format I'd like some warning so that I can take appropriate action beforehand. (I want to leave it as late as possible to give myself all options, including replacing motherboard/processor with a later generation Intel integrated that does support if that becomes available or just finding the lowest power fanless compatible video card available at that time if necessary.)
AFAIK, TWC does not have MPEG-4 enabled yet, but they did have ESPN 3D in MPEG-4, but if TWC really did go MPEG-4, they might want to get rid of the older boxes that boxes that only do MPEG-2. TWC still has a bunch of MPEG-2 STB's, and replacing them all with MPEG-4 boxes would be expensive. I believe the newer Intel iGPU's, seem to work ok with MPEG-4, but I think if the merger goes through, then it is Comcast's decision. Comcast has done MPEG-4 in one market (Augusta, Georgia), but they too are mainly MPEG-2 with a ton of MPEG-2 only equipment. I do know their X1 is MPEG-4 compliant, and the newer TWC Boxes are also MPEG-4 compliant as well. 

kevinc

Admin65 said:
kevinc said:
AFAIK, TWC does not have MPEG-4 enabled yet, but they did have ESPN 3D in MPEG-4, but if TWC really did go MPEG-4, they might want to get rid of the older boxes that boxes that only do MPEG-2. TWC still has a bunch of MPEG-2 STB's, and replacing them all with MPEG-4 boxes would be expensive. I believe the newer Intel iGPU's, seem to work ok with MPEG-4, but I think if the merger goes through, then it is Comcast's decision. Comcast has done MPEG-4 in one market (Augusta, Georgia), but they too are mainly MPEG-2 with a ton of MPEG-2 only equipment. I do know their X1 is MPEG-4 compliant, and the newer TWC Boxes are also MPEG-4 compliant as well. 
Thanks Admin65, very helpful. If you do hear any updates please let us know as I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I believe there might be HBO and Premium Channel VOD movies in 3D, but a UDCP tuner card cannot access those, though I have not seen any lately. Then again, I have not really checked out Premium VOD channels.

HBO does have an on-demand section with just 3-D movies. I tested it on my Samsung TV. They have about 10 movies in 3-D.

kevinc

Hi Admin65, one year on, any thoughts on TWC And whether they might roll out h264 any time soon? I see Comcast continues to expand h264 into new markets, but haven't seen anything on TWC (or Charter). Thanks.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think we will see MPEG-4 right now. Charter has a new Cloud based UI that would work on older boxes, so probably not anytime soon or maybe Charter is holding off on that. Same with TWC as the merger (if approved) will take time. Everything takes time. Comcast will be the first and other companies are most likely doing a wait and see approach.

kevinc

I don't think we will see MPEG-4 right now. Charter has a new Cloud based UI that would work on older boxes, so probably not anytime soon or maybe Charter is holding off on that. Same with TWC as the merger (if approved) will take time. Everything takes time. Comcast will be the first and other companies are most likely doing a wait and see approach.
Thanks, much appreciated.