Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

I'm free! I'm free! I'm free of KPBS!

sdwulfdawg

It finally hit me today that San Diego's PBS station is so much like a television station operated by an oppressive regime like Iran or Burma. With my new superduper antenna I can now watch KCET or KOCE public TV...and enjoy all of the digital subchannels they offer, like PBS Create.

I'll never be the same again...especially knowing how KPBS got all upset when Cox Communications wanted to offer an alternative public TV station in addition to KPBS.

The best part was that KPBS was again airing another Suze Orman informercial and I turned to KOCE and KCET and got to watch something else (which is the very reason KPBS got its panty in a wad over the prospect of having some competition).

Rick Shaw

bookertdub said:
When was Cox trying to offer an alternative public television station?
Many years ago (the 1980s ??), Cox DID have KCET as part of their lineup, along with most of the other LA stations as well.

When I used to have my 30' mast on top of my house, I got KVCR out of San Bernardino.

Rick Shaw said:
bookertdub said:
Many years ago (the 1980s ??), Cox DID have KCET as part of their lineup, along with most of the other LA stations as well.

When I used to have my 30' mast on top of my house, I got KVCR out of San Bernardino.
I'm guessing that back in the Mission Cable days when it started in the 60s, it had KCET before KEBS signed on in 1968, and it replaced KCET. Mission Cable was bought by Cox sometime in the early 80s.

sdwulfdawg

bookertdub said:
Cox tried in the mid-1990s to once again offer KCET and that's when KPBS went ballistic.

I'm really surprised that KPBS with all of their "advanced" technology they have done NOTHING with any digital subchannels.

I'm now watching KCET most of the time (although they are not affiliated with the primary PBS channel) and pbssocal.com (formerly known as KOCE).

The other night their showing Suze Orman po'd me a lot.

Rick Shaw

antennafarmer said:
Rick Shaw said:
bookertdub said:

I'm guessing that back in the Mission Cable days when it started in the 60s, it had KCET before KEBS signed on in 1968, and it replaced KCET. Mission Cable was bought by Cox sometime in the early 80s.
In my area (North County) it was Dimension Cable that became Cox. Most of the LA channels, including KCET, were part of the line-up for quite a few years after I purchased this house in 1971.

Ungermann

First, congrats with having the forum back!

I am also not pleased with KPBS program choices. So I am happy that on a good day my $12 indoor antenna can get:

* 22.1 - KWHY-DT from Los Angeles (well, not so happy as it is in Spanish, and I don't know the language)
* 24.1 - KVCR-DT from San Bernardino
* 24.2 - KVCRFNX (indigenous cultures)
* 24.3 - KVCR-DC from Palm Springs
* 24.4 - KVCRCRE (Create: cooking, travel and other stuff)

When KPBS broadcasts stupid Antiques Roadshow I can switch to another channel and watch something meaningful.

Now I need to spend $50 for a bigger outdoor antenna and I will be golden.

dirtyblueshirt

How many PBS stations does the LA DMA have these days? Last I knew there were at least three... KCET in Los Angeles, KOCE(?) in Orange County and one in Riverside...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jay214128

LA has really only one PBS station (KOCE), which is branded PBS SOCal. They 'took over' from KCET a year ago, January. KCET is now an independent station. KVCR is a PBS station, but is technically in San Bernardino. KLCS does carry some PBS programming on some of their sub channels (PBS Kids, Create), but carries LA School District programming.

rdehaven

My reception of the LA county PBS stations is very spotty. So I installed an FTA dish. Now I can watch the PBS feeds directly. Lots of choices now.. :)

joem

rdehaven said:
My reception of the LA county PBS stations is very spotty. So I installed an FTA dish...
So what equipment did you have to buy in addition to the FTA dish ?
What other channels can you get now with FTA ?

rdehaven

I happen to have 2 FTA receivers and a .9 meter motorized KU dish. One SD and one HD. It's an older Coolsat 8100. There are several PBS national feeds as well as PBS feeds for a couple of different areas (Louisiana, Oklahoma). The reason I originally got into FTA was for some channels the Cox does not carry. International news choices (RT, Al Jazeera, CNC, CCTV, PressTV ). NASA used to be FTA on KU via an open DISH feed (now NASA is only available on C band).

Before KFMB added ME TV I used to was RTV (RetroTV) for some of the older shows I used to watch as a kid.

I frequently enjoy the random concert or sports feed.

I find that I use my Roku to pick up international news now. NASA is also on Roku but it tends to buffer more than I like.

joem said:
So what equipment did you have to buy in addition to the FTA dish ?
What other channels can you get now with FTA ?

joem

rdehaven said:
I happen to have 2 FTA receivers and a .9 meter motorized KU dish. One SD and one HD. It's an older Coolsat 8100...
I found an old review of the Coolsat 8100 here:

http://www.satmancanada.com/satmancanada_reviews_the_coolsat_8100_hd.htm

It's quite a unit, with PVR, etc.

What is your other FTA receiver ?

rdehaven

I use a Fortec Mercury II to steer my dish. I also have a Coolsat 5000 but it's not in service at the moment. I just ordered a replacement for the 8100 today.. MicroHD. Offers blindscan for S2 feeds.

joem said:
rdehaven said:
I happen to have 2 FTA receivers and a .9 meter motorized KU dish. One SD and one HD. It's an older Coolsat 8100...
I found an old review of the Coolsat 8100 here:

http://www.satmancanada.com/satmancanada_reviews_the_coolsat_8100_hd.htm

It's quite a unit, with PVR, etc.

What is your other FTA receiver ?

thom

Ungermann said:
First, congrats with having the forum back!

I am also not pleased with KPBS program choices. So I am happy that on a good day my $12 indoor antenna can get:

* 22.1 - KWHY-DT from Los Angeles (well, not so happy as it is in Spanish, and I don't know the language)
* 24.1 - KVCR-DT from San Bernardino
* 24.2 - KVCRFNX (indigenous cultures)
* 24.3 - KVCR-DC from Palm Springs
* 24.4 - KVCRCRE (Create: cooking, travel and other stuff)

When KPBS broadcasts stupid Antiques Roadshow I can switch to another channel and watch something meaningful.

Now I need to spend $50 for a bigger outdoor antenna and I will be golden.
Where are you shooting from? I can get KOCE and KLCS, with an occasional KCET, but KVCR is a rare bird for me.