Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

IR control jack

Rick Shaw

Has anyone here tried using an IR extender plugged into the IR jack on the back of a Cox leased 8240HDC, 8642HDC, 8742HDC, 8752HDC, or 9865HDC DVRs? If so, what device and which DVR? Cox claims that this function has been turned off by the firmware. Cisco claims that it is not possible for firmware to disable this function. Any real life examples?

Rick Shaw said:
Has anyone here tried using an IR extender plugged into the IR jack on the back of a Cox leased 8240HDC, 8642HDC, 8742HDC, 8752HDC, or 9865HDC DVRs? If so, what device and which DVR? Cox claims that this function has been turned off by the firmware. Cisco claims that it is not possible for firmware to disable this function. Any real life examples?

On my TW Cisco 8640 dvr box I use an IR extender. It's the free one that came with my little tuning adapter. Not sure if it would work with the Cox box.

Rick Shaw

fblack_111 said:
Rick Shaw said:

On my TW Cisco 8640 dvr box I use an IR extender. It's the free one that came with my little tuning adapter. Not sure if it would work with the Cox box.
Thanks. So either Cisco is wrong and Cox is disabling it with firmware, Cox is altering the hardware, or Cox is doing nothing, but is saying it is disabled so they do not have to support it. That's my guess.