Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Is DirecTV going to carry KUSI's HD signal?

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any info if DirecTV is going to carry KUSI's HD feed? Obviously I know the 2 sides have to work out a retrans agreement, I'm just wondering if there was anything on the horizon?

SatViewer

bookertdub said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any info if DirecTV is going to carry KUSI's HD feed? Obviously I know the 2 sides have to work out a retrans agreement, I'm just wondering if there was anything on the horizon?
Who knows. They were the last local to be added in Standard Def way back when.... :s

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
If you had an antenna and a D* HD-DVR you could use the AM-21 tuner and get KUSI-DT that way. Then you wouldn't have to wait for a deal to come through.

At my parents house today, I stumbled into some good news. As of today, DirecTV has now added KUSI's HD signal. It is available of course on it's customary ch. 51 position on DirecTV's lineup. Who knows maybe that asteroid hit a DirecTV satellite & knocked the HD feed on. Anyways, if have use a "favorites" lineup, you'll have to go back in and edit the lineup to add KUSI HD.

Marco said:
Took them long enough. Now DirecTV customers can see KUSI's old and ugly set in HD.
I think that's why I enjoy it so much because it's such an imperfect newscast. If Ron Burgundy was on a local newscast in San Diego in this day and age, it would be KUSI.

Rick Shaw

bookertdub said:
Marco said:
Took them long enough. Now DirecTV customers can see KUSI's old and ugly set in HD.
I think that's why I enjoy it so much because it's such an imperfect newscast. If Ron Burgundy was on a local newscast in San Diego in this day and age, it would be KUSI.
Unfortunately, the politics of the owners show up strongly in the newscast - more so than with any other local newscast. But I've always liked John Coleman's weather segment.

Marco

Rick Shaw said:
bookertdub said:
Marco said:
Unfortunately, the politics of the owners show up strongly in the newscast - more so than with any other local newscast. But I've always liked John Coleman's weather segment.
Very true, which is a shame because they have some really good journalists at KUSI. A few years ago, I was talking with a photog from KUSI outside of Petco Park and I mentioned that KUSI's product needed an upgrade. He replied with, "I hear ya, we are all waiting for that too happen." There really is no excuse not to spruce up the place, McKinnon sold the other stations that he owned in Texas, and he got a nice bundle of cash. If they didn't want to invest in a new set, then they should have gone the route KNSD went and repainted/repaired their set. It would have made the set a bit more better looking in HD.

I have a general question on DirecTV. I am looking again at alternatives to TW. But I love the TW Internet speed compared to Dish or DirecTV. Do the Satellite companies still use UVerse or some slower DSL for their Internet? I like to stream VUDU (9mbps preferred) and other services where higher speed is needed for their best stream quality. If I keep TW Internet for about $55 a month I cannot see a price savings on most DirecTV packages. I don't care about HBO, home phone etc. Just Locals and some upper tier channels like FX, USA, AMC, Fox business etc.

SatViewer

fblack_111 said:
I have a general question on DirecTV. I am looking again at alternatives to TW. But I love the TW Internet speed compared to Dish or DirecTV. Do the Satellite companies still use UVerse or some slower DSL for their Internet? I like to stream VUDU (9mbps preferred) and other services where higher speed is needed for their best stream quality. If I keep TW Internet for about $55 a month I cannot see a price savings on most DirecTV packages. I don't care about HBO, home phone etc. Just Locals and some upper tier channels like FX, USA, AMC, Fox business etc.
Just keep your Internet and phone or switch to Uverse for Internet and phone.