Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Is Fox Business on a QAM tuner

That's what I thought and why I just got 2 TW Digital Adapters (with an HDMI Output) that's free until January 1, 2015 then only $1.50 a month there after. One I will use on an old analog TV. One on my newer Samsung that has no HD converter box. Just a QAM tuner and HDMI inputs.

Previous to this Cisco DTA 170HD, TW gave out old, but free (until November 2013 then 99 cents a month) SD Converter boxes so we could watch several channels they moved out of the analog tier (like Fox Business) on a TV with a QAM tuner but could not get programs like Fox Business. So I have used an old Pioneer SD Converter box (and in 480 resolution) just to watch those few channels that we could not get via a QAM tuner. The SD boxes have no HDMI output.

But with the new Digital Adapter, you can set it to 1080i or auto mode if you use the included HDMI cable, and watch lots of shows in full HD or up-scaled HD. So now I get Fox Business in HD and a much clearer picture than with the old Pioneer SD cable box that only displayed non HD content.

And the Digital Adapter also displays locals in full HD (channels 707, 708, etc.) and a number of upper 700+ channels ( like 726 CNN, 727, 729 etc.) in full HD. But what I cannot yet figure out is why a number of HD programs are omitted. I get 726 in HD but not Headline News 728, Fox News 737, or any channel above 753. I can get Fox News 37 or Headline News 28, but they appear to be up-converted by my Samsung TV. Still a much better picture than with that antiquated Pioneer SD converter.

The DTA also comes with a nice IR extender if you need it. One thing I don't like, is that if you unplug the DTA, it takes 3 to 5 minutes for it to search and re-acquire the channels again. And there is no channel guide or favorite setting, so you have to remember channel numbers.

Bottom line, for free, and then only $1.50 a month, it's far better than an old SD cable box.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
DTA's are one way only devices, so you cannot access channels that use Switched Digital Video (SDV). TWC has a lot of HD that is on SDV, so the DTA's can only access a partial HD lineup. These devices are for those who have extra TV's and maybe just want an analog cable like service, or just want a basic box, or do want/need/or pay for a full scale box.

Admin65 said:
DTA's are one way only devices, so you cannot access channels that use Switched Digital Video (SDV). TWC has a lot of HD that is on SDV, so the DTA's can only access a partial HD lineup. These devices are for those who have extra TV's and maybe just want an analog cable like service, or just want a basic box, or do want/need/or pay for a full scale box.
And that's exactly why I got them for some rooms with older TV's. But I don't see why TW provides 726 in full HD but not 728. CNN vs. Headline News.

Rick Shaw

Admin65 said:
Headline News is a SDV channel, so a DTA cannot receive that channel.
Methinks you are forgetting the "tuning adapter" for SDV.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps9159/ps9195/ps9828/7013834.pdf

kevinc

Rick Shaw said:
Admin65 said:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps9159/ps9195/ps9828/7013834.pdf
You can't use a TA for SDV with the DTA can you? The DTA doesn't have a USB.

Rick Shaw

kevinc said:
Rick Shaw said:
Admin65 said:

You can't use a TA for SDV with the DTA can you? The DTA doesn't have a USB.
Different horses for different courses. The DTA170HD is for use by analog cable subscribers who are having their channels all go digital. The STA1520 is for devices that use CableCARDS but need UDCP capability for SDV channels. As far as I know, no analog channels that were changed to digital are SDV.