Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

KABC-DT Channel 7 (and 7.2)

sdwulfdawg

I'm wondering whether KABC-DT Channel 7 in Los Angeles (and their digital subchannel 7.2 which shows LiveWell TV) has increased their power or it is now showing up in San Diego with a strong signal because of summer atmospheric conditions....

Any ideas?

jay214128

sdwulfdawg said:
I'm wondering whether KABC-DT Channel 7 in Los Angeles (and their digital subchannel 7.2 which shows LiveWell TV) has increased their power or it is now showing up in San Diego with a strong signal because of summer atmospheric conditions....

Any ideas?
KABC has always had strong reception in San Diego, except when there are co channel interference sources. During the DT transition period, KFMB-DT was co channel on channel 7, now it's KZTC-LP that is co channel on channel 7. I also saw that KABC-DT was back for the weekend, and attributed it to KZTC-LP being off the air. I don't expect that to last.

KZTC-LP's 3KW analog broadcast was enough to prevent reception of KABC-DT. KZTC-LP has an application for a low power digital transmitter on channel 7 (1.5KW) and channel 25 (15KW). Perhaps they turned off the analog transmitter to test one of these others.