Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Maybe TW cable will start to figure us out

With all these buy-out talks, TW stock is very high. And based on a letter I got yesterday from TW, I suspect they will treat their customers "gently" for a while so as not to rock their customer base and slow cable cutters.

The letter I got essentially says that since I am such a good, loyal, long term customer, they want to extend my discounted triple pack for a year with no increase in price. Quite the change. I have come to dread the end of each yearly deal with TW. I always feel like it's a fight just to keep them from raising rates. But suddenly this year, they are happy to keep things just the same. But I called them anyway and negotiated a little bit more of a discount. And I didn't even have to argue or speak to retention.

DRB

Maybe now is a good time to try to strike a long term discounted deal with Time Warner Cable?

And I even got the rep to send me an email confirming my new discount and the terms that are extended until December 2014. In the past, they always said they could not send a confirming email. So any negotiations you had with a TW rep were only as good as his notes in your record. But I convinced this guy to send me an email and he did.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
TWC recently signed a new deal with Viacom and Epix is apparently included in the deal.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
In regards to negotiations, TWC is on a roll as they have signed deals with Discovery, Viacom, and Tribune. TWC did this before the January 1st deadline, which is amazing since TWC had a fight with CBS. Then again, they probably should work out a deal with FS San Diego, but it probably does not matter as TWC might end up getting bought out by Comcast, Cox, or Charter, or a combination of those providers (most likely Charter and Comcast) will break up TWC and buy the parts that both providers want.

Marco

Admin65 said:
In regards to negotiations, TWC is on a roll as they have signed deals with Discovery, Viacom, and Tribune. TWC did this before the January 1st deadline, which is amazing since TWC had a fight with CBS. Then again, they probably should work out a deal with FS San Diego, but it probably does not matter as TWC might end up getting bought out by Comcast, Cox, or Charter, or a combination of those providers (most likely Charter and Comcast) will break up TWC and buy the parts that both providers want.
The TWC/FSSD fight goes beyond just getting a deal signed. There is some heavy bitterness on both sides involving the Padres and Dodgers tv rights. TWC had put in a bid to air Padres games before FOX Sports came along and outbid them. So from the get go there was bitterness by TWC because they got outbid for the rights to Padres games and the fact that they were being asked to pay at least 2x more than what they paid COX. Add in the fight for Dodger games and FOX Sports became bitter that TWC outbid them there. So in a nutshell its a vicious cycle that will only end once TWC gets sold.

Per a story in today's WSJ, Cox will not bid on Time Warner. It's possible they are just playing dead and may try to swoop in later. But It seems certain someone will buy TW by years end. The link to the story may not be available to everyone so here's a few quotes"

1/17/14: Cox Communications Not Preparing Bid for Time Warner Cable
As One Potential Suitor Steps Aside, Comcast, Charter Discuss Collaborating on an Offer

"Cox Communications Inc. isn't preparing a bid for Time Warner Cable Inc., according to people familiar with the matter, removing one potential suitor for the New York-based cable company for the time being. ... .Cox had previously been considering making an offer of its own, raising the possibility of a bidding war. As deal talks unfold, the company could reverse course and decide to enter the fray again, one of the people familiar with the matter said. But for now, Cox is on the sidelines."

"An activist investor who supports Charter's bid could mount a proxy fight if Time Warner Cable continues to resist its advances...."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303465004579324552561200502?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303465004579324552561200502.html

Marco

fblack_111 said:
Per a story in today's WSJ, Cox will not bid on Time Warner. It's possible they are just playing dead and may try to swoop in later. But It seems certain someone will buy TW by years end. The link to the story may not be available to everyone so here's a few quotes"

As One Potential Suitor Steps Aside, Comcast, Charter Discuss Collaborating on an Offer

"Cox Communications Inc. isn't preparing a bid for Time Warner Cable Inc., according to people familiar with the matter, removing one potential suitor for the New York-based cable company for the time being. ... .Cox had previously been considering making an offer of its own, raising the possibility of a bidding war. As deal talks unfold, the company could reverse course and decide to enter the fray again, one of the people familiar with the matter said. But for now, Cox is on the sidelines."

"An activist investor who supports Charter's bid could mount a proxy fight if Time Warner Cable continues to resist its advances...."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303465004579324552561200502?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303465004579324552561200502.html
There are some reports that say that Charter could team up with Comcast to buy TWC. Charter would be the buyer of TWC, then would either sell or swap some cable systems with Comcast. Comcast is interested in NYC, LA and Dallas. I would very loosely say that I could see Comcast being interested in TWC San Diego. After all KNSD is an NBC O&O and if they do decide to build their new building a bit north, then it would be in a TWC area. I should also point out that NYC, LA and Dallas also have NBC O&O's.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Well TWC SD would make a tempting choice for Cox due to the geographic proximity of Cox San Diego! Also Cox has systems in Ohio that are close to TWC areas as well.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/comcast-to-take-manhattan-operator-near-deal-with-charter-to-divvy-up-tw-cable-territories-1201072960/

Should Charter buy TWC, Comcast will take over TWC NYC, Carolinas (NC for sure and maybe SC), and New England Systems. Not sure about LA and Dallas but this is new current deal. Sounds like the Charter Comcast tie up is likely going to happen at this point.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Marco said:
fblack_111 said:

There are some reports that say that Charter could team up with Comcast to buy TWC. Charter would be the buyer of TWC, then would either sell or swap some cable systems with Comcast. Comcast is interested in NYC, LA and Dallas. I would very loosely say that I could see Comcast being interested in TWC San Diego. After all KNSD is an NBC O&O and if they do decide to build their new building a bit north, then it would be in a TWC area. I should also point out that NYC, LA and Dallas also have NBC O&O's.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/31/us-timewarnercable-charter-idUSBREA0U1W320140131

Doesn't look like Comcast wants TWC LA and SD. Comcast is more interested in NYC, North Carolina and TWC's new England systems. Comcast might also have charter swap some of their NE systems as well.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Marco said:
Admin65 said:
The TWC/FSSD fight goes beyond just getting a deal signed. There is some heavy bitterness on both sides involving the Padres and Dodgers tv rights. TWC had put in a bid to air Padres games before FOX Sports came along and outbid them. So from the get go there was bitterness by TWC because they got outbid for the rights to Padres games and the fact that they were being asked to pay at least 2x more than what they paid COX. Add in the fight for Dodger games and FOX Sports became bitter that TWC outbid them there. So in a nutshell its a vicious cycle that will only end once TWC gets sold.
TWC has finally signed a deal with FS San Diego, so now you can watch the Padres on TWC. Channel numbers and positioning will be announced at a future date and TWC will debut the network on March 30.

Admin65 said:
Marco said:
Admin65 said:
TWC has finally signed a deal with FS San Diego, so now you can watch the Padres on TWC. Channel numbers and positioning will be announced at a future date and TWC will debut the network on March 30.
So far I have not seen price they will pay for broadcasting Padre's games. But I suspect they will use it as an excuse to raise cable prices again even on those customers who really don't want to watch.

Also, since there are on going talks about a merger/sale of TW, I have to suspect they will use this to help drive the merger prices up. Maybe it's just me, but I have lost a lot of faith in TW.

OMG! The long nightmare is over!

http://msn.foxsports.com/san-diego/story/time-warner-cable-agrees-to-launchg-fox-sports-san-diego-021014

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101412815

Looks like Comcast might buy TWC as they are likely going to announce a deal tommorrow at roughly 159 a share, which is roughly in the ballpark that TWC wants.

Per several news reports today, Comcast has arrived at a deal to buy TW for $159 a share. It will take a while, and some stories say TW will have to spin out some customers. Plus who knows how it will affect us.

2/12/ 2014: Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable in all stock deal

"Comcast has reached an agreement to acquire Time Warner Cable in all-stock transaction worth roughly $159 a share, according to people close to the deal. The new company, created by the $44 billion purchase, would be by far the largest cable provider in the nation with over 33 million subscribers, and is certain to face a tough review from the Federal Communications Commission. ... Comcast will indicate a willingness to divest 3 million subs from the combined company, according to sources familiar with the situation."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-12/comcast-said-to-agree-to-pay-159-a-share-for-time-warner-cable.html
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101412815

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
This deal surprised me but it is more logical than a hostile charter takeover.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Admin65 said:
This deal surprised me but it is more logical than a hostile charter takeover.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
One problem that has me worried is how Comcast appears to operate, treat customers, and their price model. While I don't know much about their pricing and business, a quick search on Google shows lots of customer issues. As much as people complain about Time Warner, Comcast may be worse.

Just Google around a bit for Comcast reviews and info. DSL Reports is one place to look. After a quick look around Google, I see higher prices, poorer service, more expensive installation charges etc. Basically same stuff as TW and many other cable providers. Here's part of two recent poor reviews shown on DSL Reports. These may not reflect everyone's experience though. But:

1.Going on the fourth (4th) complete outage of both HSI and cable TV since Dec 22, 2013...The phone support has NOT improved: still hold times of 45 minutes or greater only to be connected with people who's language isn't even close to understanding English. They don't appear to be trained well as far as their products and troubleshooting other than the requisite "...uhhhhh, let me send a refresh signal ...".

2. Have to keep dropping service speed to prevent rate increase. They raised my internet rate $40 per month. In order to drop that increase down to just $10 more per month than I was currently paying, I had to drop from 25 mbps to 7 mbps. Why are they such a dishonest, miserable company? Already dumped them for phone and TV. Guess I'll dump them completely