Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Maybe TW cable will start to figure us out

Randy

New Member
fblack_111 said:
On the day the story broke that Sling TV was starting, I sent them an email asking some questions like:  Would they have a Samsung Smart APP for Smart TV's, can you watch more than one stream at a time on different devices, why limit re-runs of shows to only 3 days, etc. After waiting three days I got an email back that said: "We have received your email and want to make sure we help with your request as soon as possible.   Due to the overwhelming response to Sling TV, it may take us a few days to respond.  If you need immediate assistance, please call us ...".   I assume I will get an answer eventually. I also hope they expand their choices (even at extra cost)  and let customers just pick and choose their channel lineup.

And one other slightly separate issue.  I put HBO Go on my Tablet. It's fine via wi-fi in my home. Then I took my tablet outside and used it's 4g feature rather than wi-fi. The app said that it only works on wi-fi. I thought that was odd. And I am not sure it would work at say an airport using a public wi-fi. Or only your home TW wi-fi. I wonder how the Sling TV would work on portable devices outside the home.
You might want to check the HBO Go app settings. Some apps have a default option to only work with wi-fi only. If so, just uncheck that to allow the 4 G too. ( I don't know if this is the case, just guessing).
 
Randy said:
fblack_111 said:
On the day the story broke that Sling TV was starting, I sent them an email asking some questions like:  Would they have a Samsung Smart APP for Smart TV's, can you watch more than one stream at a time on different devices, why limit re-runs of shows to only 3 days, etc. After waiting three days I got an email back that said: "We have received your email and want to make sure we help with your request as soon as possible.   Due to the overwhelming response to Sling TV, it may take us a few days to respond.  If you need immediate assistance, please call us ...".   I assume I will get an answer eventually. I also hope they expand their choices (even at extra cost)  and let customers just pick and choose their channel lineup.

And one other slightly separate issue.  I put HBO Go on my Tablet. It's fine via wi-fi in my home. Then I took my tablet outside and used it's 4g feature rather than wi-fi. The app said that it only works on wi-fi. I thought that was odd. And I am not sure it would work at say an airport using a public wi-fi. Or only your home TW wi-fi. I wonder how the Sling TV would work on portable devices outside the home.
You might want to check the HBO Go app settings. Some apps have a default option to only work with wi-fi only. If so, just uncheck that to allow the 4 G too. ( I don't know if this is the case, just guessing).


Thanks. I found the setting to allow 3g or Wi-Fi.
 
I finally got an email from the Sling TV people. Took them a week, so either they are very busy, or under staffed.

Basically to watch Sling on a Samsung TV you need a Roku or Amazon Fire TV/stick. And they are offering a special on them. Prepay 3 months of service and get a Fire Stick or Roku Stick for free. As for offering DVR services, here's their quote from the email:

"SlingTV does not have DVR capabilities. Some channels with the service provide a playback option, which allows you to play shows that have aired 24-75 hours back. ".

They never addressed if you can watch Sling TV on several devices at once or what other channels other than the AMC package they are working on. They said watch their web site.
 
There is another story about cable TV losing customers in today's WSJ.  The title: "Streaming Services Hammer Cable TV".  And we all heard about how HBO is launching a new independent service outside cable companies. So is NBC. and Sling. And others are coming. The story says"

3/11/2015:     Streaming Services Hammer Cable-TV Ratings
                    Trade Group Attributes Much of Drop to Competition From Netflix, Hulu and Amazon

"While some of the Cable companies dispute some of this, the "Cablevision Advertising Bureau"  states "In seeking to figure out why viewership is down across so many cable-TV networks, ad-sales executives from the industry gathered for a frank talk last week by the Cabletelevision Advertising Bureau, said people who attended the session.   The primary reason for the steep fall-off in viewership, the trade group said: consumers are spending more time watching subscription streaming-video services like those from Netflix Inc., Hulu and Amazon.com Inc.... .The CAB said it estimates that about 40% of third- and fourth-quarter TV-ratings declines can be attributed to such subscription video services, the people said.

"Total TV viewing fell about 10% from a year earlier in the third quarter and about 9% in the fourth quarter, according to an analysis of Nielsen data... .  numbers show that the malaise has persisted into the current period, with total viewing so far in the first quarter (2015) down about 12%, according to a March 9 research note. “We believe the U.S. television industry is entering a period of prolonged structural decline, caused by a migration of viewers from ad-supported platforms to non-ad-supported or less-ad-supported platforms,”

And I say GOOD!!!.  I would love to see a new cable model. I hate spending hundreds of dollars for viewing only a handful of channels, yet pay for tiers like kids programming, music and video, and an odd assortment of specialty programs I never view. And even though we pay for cable programs, we still have to watch commercials on the programs. And on certain on-demand channels, you cannot even fast forward past all the junk.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/streaming-services-hammer-cable-tv-ratings-1426042713
 
And now a another news story has hit today on the new Sony Playstation Vue Internet TV service. For now you need a Playstation to use the service, but Sony says that will change later. They are testing the service in three cities now, and expect a bigger roll-out in the next few weeks. In addition to the WSJ story, below is a link to one on The Verge.

3/11/2015; Sony's PlayStation Vue internet TV service is launching within two weeks

"Sony's internet TV service, PlayStation Vue, will come out of beta and launch commercially in three major cities within the next two weeks. The Wall Street Journal reports that Sony will offer Vue in New York City, Chicago, and Philadelphia to start — cities where invited testers have already been using the service for months. PlayStation Vue runs on Sony's PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 consoles. The goal is to roll out Vue nationwide by the end of 2015,... .PlayStation Vue will bundle a number of popular channels including CBS, FOX, NBC, Comedy Central, FX, Discovery, and many more. Much like Sling TV, you'll be able to watch live streams of those networks and "catch up" by watching episodes that've aired in recent days. But Sony's service will have more channels — around 75 in each market — and allow for recorded shows to be stored in the cloud for 28 days....

No word on pricing yet. But I love to see competition on the cable companies.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/11/8190749/sony-playstation-vue-launching-two-weeks
 
And now Apple just announced their plan for cord cutters.

3/18/2015: Apple TV 'skinny' package likely to accelerate cord cutting

"Apple's ambition to be a dominant player in television is expected to accelerate the unraveling of the pay-TV bundle. The tech giant is in negotiations with major television companies to offer a "skinny" package of channels that would include ABC, CBS and Fox Broadcasting, according to people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to speak publicly. Apple wants to roll out the service in time for the new fall shows in September....The proposed streaming service takes aim at the 10 million homes that have high-speed Internet and no pay television programming, along with customers who are fed up with high cable fees.

The recent moves should help prompt cable and satellite TV providers to offer their customers smaller packages of services at lower price points to remain competitive. Consumers for years have been grousing about the high cost of subscriptions that include hundreds of channels they never watch."

And Apple will drop their required cable box down to $69. Their final pricing or program lineup has not been announced, but anything to put pressure on Cable TV prices is good in my opinion.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-et-ct-apple-tv-skinny-package-20150318-story.html
 

Rick Shaw

Member
fblack_111 said:
And now Apple just announced their plan for cord cutters.

3/18/2015: Apple TV 'skinny' package likely to accelerate cord cutting

"Apple's ambition to be a dominant player in television is expected to accelerate the unraveling of the pay-TV bundle. The tech giant is in negotiations with major television companies to offer a "skinny" package of channels that would include ABC, CBS and Fox Broadcasting, according to people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to speak publicly.

The recent moves should help prompt cable and satellite TV providers to offer their customers smaller packages of services at lower price points to remain competitive.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm...no NBC and no mention of price? Gee, that won't cause much disturbance of the dust on coax cutters, IMO.

 
 
Canada is going to Pick and Pay TV channels for their cable companies. This is what I want to see happen here. I suppose it depends on pricing.

3/.19/2015" Canadians to be allowed to 'pick and pay' TV channels

"Canadian television viewers will no longer be forced to pay for vast numbers of channels they do not watch, the country's broadcast regulator said in a sweeping ruling on Thursday. The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) said cable and satellite providers had to offer viewers an affordable basic package and allow them to choose additional channels.... Most distributors currently package groups of channels into thematic bundles, which they say means more choice is available at a lower per-channel cost. Consumer advocates complain that viewers are forced to pay for channels they never watch....It is about setting out a road-map to give all Canadians the freedom to choose the television content that meets their unique needs, budgets and realities," he told reporters.

The move will be closely watched south of the border, where U.S. media companies have resisted flexible programming, arguing that costs for individual channels will rise sharply."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/19/us-canada-television-idUSKBN0MF2JN20150319
 

Rick Shaw

Member
fblack_111 said:
Canada is going to Pick and Pay TV channels for their cable companies. This is what I want to see happen here. I suppose it depends on pricing.

3/.19/2015"  Canadians to be allowed to 'pick and pay' TV channels

"Canadian television viewers will no longer be forced to pay for vast numbers of channels they do not watch, the country's broadcast regulator said in a sweeping ruling on Thursday.  The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) said cable and satellite providers had to offer viewers an affordable basic package and allow them to choose additional channels.... Most distributors currently package groups of channels into thematic bundles, which they say means more choice is available at a lower per-channel cost. Consumer advocates complain that viewers are forced to pay for channels they never watch....It is about setting out a road-map to give all Canadians the freedom to choose the television content that meets their unique needs, budgets and realities," he told reporters.

The move will be closely watched south of the border, where U.S. media companies have resisted flexible programming, arguing that costs for individual channels will rise sharply."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/19/us-canada-television-idUSKBN0MF2JN20150319
I am predicting marginal savings, at best.
 
Today Verizon Fios also announced a plan starting this month to split their cable packages and plans so customers can do more picking the channels they want. This new style of offering smaller packages has got to affect the big cable giants eventually. A recent study (as stated in the WSJ story) said most cable users only regularly watch about 17 channels; so why are we still forced to pay for hundreds? They are offering bundled channel packs (of between 10 and 17 channels) for $10 a month each. I have not seen a breakdown of whats in each pack.

4/16/2015: Verizon Breaks Pay-TV Bundle as Competition Mounts
New FiOS TV packages let customers pick groups of channels they want to watch

"Starting April 19, consumers will be able to sign up for a slim package of TV channels that includes broadcasters such as ABC and Fox, as well as CNN, AMC, Food Network and others. They can then add on “channel packs” covering various genres, such as sports, kids, pop culture and lifestyle.....FiOS cheapest plan will cost $55 a month and include two channel packs. ...Each additional package, which can consist of about 10 to 17 channels, will cost $10 a month. ...Verizon has various pricing plans for customers .... For example, for $75 a month a customer can get the base package, two channel packs and 50 megabits per second broadband speeds. ..."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/verizon-breaks-pay-tv-bundle-as-competition-mounts-1429240054
 

Rick Shaw

Member
fblack_111 said:
Today Verizon Fios also announced a plan starting this month to split their cable packages and plans so customers can do more picking the channels they want. This new style of offering smaller packages has got to affect the big cable giants eventually.  A recent study (as stated in the WSJ story) said most cable users only regularly watch about 17 channels; so why are we still forced to pay for hundreds?  They are offering bundled channel packs (of between 10 and 17 channels) for $10 a month each. I have not seen a breakdown of whats in each pack.

4/16/2015: Verizon Breaks Pay-TV Bundle as Competition Mounts
                New FiOS TV packages let customers pick groups of channels they want to watch

"Starting April 19, consumers will be able to sign up for a slim package of TV channels that includes broadcasters such as ABC and Fox, as well as CNN, AMC, Food Network and others. They can then add on “channel packs” covering various genres, such as sports, kids, pop culture and lifestyle.....FiOS cheapest plan will cost $55 a month and include two channel packs. ...Each additional package, which can consist of about 10 to 17 channels, will cost $10 a month. ...Verizon has various pricing plans for customers .... For example, for $75 a month a customer can get the base package, two channel packs and 50 megabits per second broadband speeds. ..."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/verizon-breaks-pay-tv-bundle-as-competition-mounts-1429240054
They know which channels are the most desired. Bet they spread the popular channels out throughout the "packages." I'll be surprised if the average customer saves even 10%, if that much. *Real* ala carte won't be possible until the program distributors are forced to change their methods.
 
Here is the new Fios Custom base package and custom packs that are supposed to cost $10 each extra. Their starter package gives you their "base" and you pick any two more packs free. ( 50 Mbps can be bundled too for a relatively low price.)  Additional packs are extra. I am not saying this is a perfect solution to anyone's viewing habits.  But I hate paying extra for all those TW channels we never watch. My sister in law hates having to pay for those  ESPN channels or sports channels with TW.  For me, I have no need for any Music or Kids channels. I just think all these new plans may force the big guys to reconsider their business model. 

It's priced at $54.99 but taxes, equipment and High Speed Internet is extra. They have promoted that the base plus those two extra packs and Internet are close to $90 a month. I cannot guarantee that number, but it seems a bit high to get me to switch from my TW Triple pack that I now pay about $114 a month. 

[font=arial, sans-serif]Base channels and all local broadcast channels are shown first below. The extra packs follow the base. And not all are in HD.  ([font=Apex-Medium, sans-serif]* Available in SD Only) [/font][/font]

Get many popular Base channels and all local broadcast channels.

[font=arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif] [/font]
  • NBC
  • Fox
  • CNN
  • HGTV
  • AMC
  • Food Network
  • WE tv
  • CBS
  • ABC
  • CW
  • PBS
  • Music Choice*
  • Hallmark Movies & Mysteries
  • POP
  • Velocity
  • QVC
  • Univision
  • Telemundo
  • UniMas
  • HSN
  • FamilyNet*
  • UP*
  • RLTV*
  • Bloomberg TV
  • RFD TV*
  • The Word*
  • EWTN*
  • Jewelry TV*
  • WOW*
  • The Son Life Broadcasting Network*
  • BYU Television*
  • Liquidation Channel*
  • CNBC World*
  • Mnet*
  • CCTV News*
  • Smile of a Child*
  • Sino TV*
  • Daystar*
  • EVINE Live*
  • INSP*
  • QVC Plus*
  • Three Angels Broadcasting*
  • Trinity*
  • The Church Channel*
  • _________________________________________________________________
  • [font=Apex-Bold, sans-serif]LIFESTYLE[/font]
    • Lifetime
    • TLC
    • Bravo
    • A&E
    • History
    • Animal Planet
    • OXYGEN
    • LMN
    • Investigation Discovery
    • FYI
    • Travel Channel
    • Hallmark Channel
    • OWN
    • Destination America
    • H2*
    • GSN
    • Discovery Life*
    • AWE
    • _______________________________________________
      ENTERTAINMENT
      • TBS
      • FX
      • USA
      • TNT
      • WGN America
      • Syfy
      • FXX
      • truTV
      • TCM*
      • Reelz*
      • ____________________________________________________________
        NEWS & INFO
        • Fox News
        • MSNBC
        • Discovery Channel
        • National Geographic Channel
        • Science
        • Accuweather
        • HLN
        • CNBC
        • American Heroes Channel*
        • Al Jazeera America
        • One America News
        • C-SPAN*
        • C-SPAN 2*
        • C-SPAN 3*
        • Newsmax*
        • ___________________________________________________________
          POP CULTURE
          • SPIKE
          • Comedy Central
          • E!
          • MTV
          • ABC Family
          • VH1
          • IFC
          • MTV2
          • BET
          • CMT
          • Centric*
          • VH1 Classic*
          • Pivot
          • Revolt
          • ______________________________________________________
            KIDS
            • Nickelodeon
            • Disney Channel
            • Cartoon Network
            • Disney XD
            • Nick Jr.
            • TV Land
            • TeenNick*
            • Nick Toons*
            • Disney Jr*
            • Boomerang*
            • Sprout*
            • Discovery Family*
            • _________________________________________________________
              SPORTS
              • ESPN
              • ESPN2
              • Fox Sports 1
              • NBCSN
              • ESPN U
              • Fox Sports2*
              • Big Ten Network
              • Big Ten 1*
              • Big Ten 2*
              • SEC Network* ^
              • SEC Network Overflow* ^
              • Longhorn Network* ^

            •  ^ Select Markets______________________________________________SPORTS PLUSIncludes all Regional Sports Networks
              • [size=x-small]Regional Sports Networks[/size]
              • [size=x-small]ESPN News[/size]
              • [size=x-small]NBA TV[/size]
              • [size=x-small]NFL Network[/size]
              • [size=x-small]MLB Network[/size]
              • [size=x-small]SEC Network[/size]
              • [size=x-small]Golf Channel[/size]
              • [size=x-small]NHL Network[/size]
              • [size=x-small]One World Sports*[/size]
              • [size=x-small]SEC Network Overflow[/size]

            •  Only available when paired with the Sports Channel PackAdditional RSN fee applies
 

Rick Shaw

Member
Aren't those prices for NEW customers only, with existing customers switching to that plan paying more?

And, Disney/ESPN has already notified Verizon that the new package structure is a breach of contract (none of ESPN's networks can be placed on any sort of "sports only" tiers.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/18/8449611/verizons-customizable-fios-tv-packages-violate-contract-says-espn
 
You are correct about the ESPN issue. Their contracts with cable providers is that in addition to the $6 a month they charge per subscriber, their Sports channels must be in the base cable tier.  Per a story in The Verge, subscribers get the Fios base plan and those channels which are included, and choose two more packs, and includes Internet, all for $65 a month. And subscribers can change those two extra included tiers every 30 days. All with no contract. I have not heard it's only for new users. As for the ESPN issue about being in the base tier, I suspect before it's over, Verizon will either add them to the base tier, try to negotiate a slightly lower rate, change their base pricing a bit, threaten to challenge ESPN in court (and work out a settlement) etc.  The bottom line for me is not the various new Internet based TV services themselves (like Sling, or Apple, or Fios, or Sony's Vue); I like the fact that some innovators may actually force the cable giants to reconsider their antiquated business model of forcing hundreds of channels on subscribers.

And it may help to slow TW from jacking up their rates and equipment fees each year. I am tired of them changing (raising) all there pricing each year, or new add-on fees; and I have to fight with them to hold down my increases. And if you are a good negotiator, you can get a better deal than someone who is less of a negotiator for similar service. One example is my sister in law. I have triple play, dvr service, two digital tuning adapters, Extreme internet, and a year of Showtime. She only has standard Internet, one cable box, and one digital tuning adapter. And she pays only about $7 less per month than I pay.  
 

Rick Shaw

Member
fblack_111 said:
You are correct about the ESPN issue. Their contracts with cable providers is that in addition to the $6 a month they charge per subscriber, their Sports channels must be in the base cable tier.  Per a story in The Verge, subscribers get the Fios base plan and those channels which are included, and choose two more packs, and includes Internet, all for $65 a month. And subscribers can change those two extra included tiers every 30 days. All with no contract. I have not heard it's only for new users. As for the ESPN issue about being in the base tier, I suspect before it's over, Verizon will either add them to the base tier, try to negotiate a slightly lower rate, change their base pricing a bit, threaten to challenge ESPN in court (and work out a settlement) etc.  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem is, other program owners have similarly binding contracts.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
With Comcast out of the picture, twc will likely keep on upgrading systems to Maxx and keep the status quo (For now).
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Now Cablevision in NY is looking into a sale. This could mean that Charter, TWC, and Comcast are interested. Comcast could buy a part or all of CableVision as it would not increase their subscriber base as much as a Comcast-TWC merger. Though, I could also see a split deal with portions of Cablevision going to either Comcast, TWC, and/or Charter. Then again, Charters CEO is a former CableVision COO. CableVision has actually tried to offer an antenna with their HSI connections and are complaining that TV service is not as profitable for them as it used to be.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cablevision-TV-is-Like-Eggs-and-Milk-We-Dont-Make-Money-From-133636
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cablevision-Boss-Hints-at-Company-Sale-133675
 
Top