Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Maybe TW cable will start to figure us out

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-10/charter-s-task-is-to-coax-time-warner-cable-to-sell-real-m-a

Another option is that TWC buys Charter, as per a Bloomberg article, TWC could buy Charter at a higher price and not have to worry about raising debt or equity capital. I am sure TWC could let Malone be the largest Shareholder, and maybe TWC could also buy Brighthouse and/or Cablevision in NYC to make a powerhouse cableco. With TWC buying Charter instead of Charter merging with TWC, TWC could keep their brand name as I think that brand has more equity than Charter. Charter customers would also get access to TWC's internet apps which Charter probably wants TWC, as they would not have to develop it themselves. Also, Charter has a downloadable security system that TWC could leverage as a successor to CableCARD and what not. Lots of positive reasons, and maybe I do prefer Charter to TWC as Charter does not seem to cap as compared to Comcasts which could start offering metered billing, to further rip off the consumer. Either way, consumers get screwed no matter what happens.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-12/charter-said-still-in-active-talks-to-buy-bright-house-networks

Charter is now re interested in buying Brighthouse as a precursor to merging with TWC. This would make Charter a very powerful cableco, and even more so, if TWC buys CableVision. Not sure if the FTC, DOJ and FCC would approve such a giant merger. Though I could see Charter and TWC merging or Charter and Brighthouse merger. TWC most likely has preferred access to a Brighthouse deal, but that would not matter. Brighthouse and TWC share the same programming contracts, so a merger between Brighthouse and TWC could make sense. TWC and Brighthouse use the same EPG and same Mobile apps as TWC.

Verizon just announced they will finally start Beta testing their new streaming video service to be called Go90. And this service, free to start, is in addition to their Fios service. One more company starting to pressure traditional cable companies. Here's interesting parts of the story:

July 28, 2015: Verizon’s Go90 Mobile Streaming TV Service To Launch With Tiny Beta Test

" It’s been almost a year since Verizon first announced it would launch a streaming TV service and the company is just now getting around to naming it — Go90 — and providing details on its eventual launch...By creating a beta test for current Verizon customers, the company is apparently counting on working out any technical kinks that might mar a wider release,...the initial start of Go90, which the company has touted as a redefining over-the-top video service, won’t include the full package, as CFO Shammo says more will be added throughout the year...

"According to that report, the streaming service will be ad-supported, offering customers free access (initially) to full-length shows, clips, highlights and live music... Of course the company has said it will dabble in subscription and pay-per-view models for the service. It has yet to offer details on the cost of such options....Verizon’s upcoming venture – which is in addition to current mobile streaming available for customers with FiOS – will include the holy grail of non-cable video services: live sports programming....In addition to some ESPN and CBS Sports programming, Verizon already announced partnerships with DreamWorks, Scripps, AwesomenessTV and Vice...."

http://consumerist.com/2015/07/28/verizon-to-start-tests-of-mobile-streaming-tv-service-with-thousands-of-current-customers/

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Supposedly, people are receiving letters from TWC about the all digital conversion, that is supposed to come in October. Anybody here gotten such letter?

And just yesterday ATT announced their new phone / TV plan. I like anything that puts pressure on the big cable giants. What I don't know is what tier of TV programs are standard. Depending on what people pay for four shared phone lines, the TV portion may be as cheap $40 to $60 a month.

"Under the $200 a month plan, customers new to DirecTV or AT&T's U-verse TV can get high definition and DVR service for up to four television receivers, along with unlimited talk and text for up to four wireless lines. Ten gigabytes of shareable wireless data are also included.

New DirecTV customers must sign a two-year contract to take advantage of the deal, U-verse customers a one-year contract. But the annual savings of up to $600 are only good for the first year, with prices climbing to prevailing rates after 12 months.

AT&T says you'll be able to watch DirecTV via an app on your phone or tablet right when you sign up at the store, without having to wait for a satellite dish and other gear to be installed first at home...."

I got the TW letter today and a flyer. They are a bit confusing. The flyer says they will go all digital on October 13. The flyer says we can get digital adapters and they will be free until February 10, 2017. I am not sure how many will be free. Their cover letter is a bit confusing. It says the on January 16, 2016 they will start encrypting Starter TV. It says if you are affected, the number of free devices you get and for how long may vary "depending on your situation". It says you may get digital devices free for 2 years. The letter and flyer seem somewhat contradictory to me.

I called a TW rep to ask about the two different dates in the letters. He said San Diego goes digital in October. The two letters were just meant to be generic and sent to people in different cities. So he is sending me two more adapters to use for free until early 2017. He has no info when we can expect Max service.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I called a TW rep to ask about the two different dates in the letters. He said San Diego goes digital in October. The two letters were just meant to be generic and sent to people in different cities. So he is sending me two more adapters to use for free until early 2017. He has no info when we can expect Max service.
Rumor has it that MAXX might come in October to coincide after the Digital switchover.

How about us folks who are just sick about a rising cable bill? My bill went up by $5.00 this month. When I asked a TW rep why my rate increased a few dollars, he said some $5 special promotion ran out.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/tv/topics/digital-adapters.html

Digital Adapters will be $2.75/month after the promotional period expires. If you have video equipment and/or a tier higher than Starter, you get 2 free digital adapters until February 10, 2017. If you have Starter TV and no video equipment (Cable STB/DVR), you get 2 free digital adapters until February 10, 2018. Then after that, you have to pay the 2.75/month fee per adapter. Then again, not sure how Charter will handle once the merger is complete, but Charter is really pushing to go all digital in the TWC and Brighthouse footprint that still have analog. No date has been set for Starter tv to be encrypted, so ClearQAM might stay a little longer.

My two new and free Cisco digital adapters arrived today. They are the new version model dta270 vs. my older Cisco dta170's. I do not know how they are different. I do know the new ones did not have the included IR extenders as came standard with my two older adapters. I called TW and they said I had to ask for them at the PQ store. Great. An hour standing in line and probably to be told they have no idea what an IR extender (blaster) is.

Rick Shaw

My two new and free Cisco digital adapters arrived today. They are the new version model dta270 vs. my older Cisco dta170's. I do not know how they are different. I do know the new ones did not have the included IR extenders as came standard with my two older adapters. I called TW and they said I had to ask for them at the PQ store. Great. An hour standing in line and probably to be told they have no idea what an IR extender (blaster) is.
An IR extender is not an IR blaster.

Rick Shaw

As an old timer, who has lots of old ones from old equipment sitting in a drawer, we used to call them "blasters".
http://televisions.reviewed.com/features/what-s-an-ir-blaster-and-why-are-tvs-coming-with-them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_blaster
An IR extender plugs into a jack on the rear of the STB. An IR "Blaster" has an IR emitter that works in conjunction with the STB's IR sensor.
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4014665.pdf

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Right now, NYC, Austin and LA are fully encrypted, so if TWC does convert to all digital, there might be some clearQAM, but don't expect it to last forever.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Looking like @fblack_111 is right about October 13 as the date, as one user on DSLR has reported that date. Also, don't have TWC mail the adapters to you, as they will charge a mailing fee which can be credited back to your account. Otherwise, go to your local TWC office if you want to pick them up for free.

They sent me two by Fed Ex at no extra charge. The new ones are the Cisco 270 series. My older two are the 170 series. I had a tough time getting the new ones activated. The rep kept sending "hits", had me reboot the devices, and after 30 minutes of no success he agreed to roll a truck for free. So I left them on all day, called in for automated hits, and they finally fired up. I also asked what was different between the two Series of adapters. No one had an answer. But one small thing I learned is that if you turn the power off to a 270, on reboot, it defaults to channel 3. On my 170's a reboot opens to the last channel watched. Also I heard they were working on adding a guide to the Digital Adapters. None yet, but it would be nice to have one.

Rick Shaw

They sent me two by Fed Ex at no extra charge. The new ones are the Cisco 270 series. My older two are the 170 series. I had a tough time getting the new ones activated. The rep kept sending "hits", had me reboot the devices, and after 30 minutes of no success he agreed to roll a truck for free. So I left them on all day, called in for automated hits, and they finally fired up. I also asked what was different between the two Series of adapters. No one had an answer. But one small thing I learned is that if you turn the power off to a 270, on reboot, it defaults to channel 3. On my 170's a reboot opens to the last channel watched. Also I heard they were working on adding a guide to the Digital Adapters. None yet, but it would be nice to have one.
There's hope for you. Cox's Cisco and Evolution adapters have guides, menus, etc.