Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

MPEG4 channels

chumley

Does anyone know which channels have been transitioned to MPEG-4 / H.264? It would be list to have a list, kinda like the SDV channel list that was posted earlier. Thanks

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I believe Tivo and tuner cards can tell you what encoding a channel is, or maybe check the diagnostic menu.

The MPEG4/H.264 channels are indicated with a Diamond (Δ) following the channels and are all the Contour HD Channels
https://www.cox.com/content/dam/cox/residential/documents/tv/channel-lineup/california/cl_sdsouth.pdf

Δ - Contour HD Channels, if included with your service level, require rental of a Contour receiver or Cox provided CableCARD™ together with a certified compatible CableCard retail device capable of tuning those channels.

1202 HBO Signature HD Δ
1203 HBO Family HD Δ
1205 HBO (East) HD Δ
1206 HBO2 (East) HD Δ
1207 HBO Zone HD Δ
1208 HBO Comedy HD Δ

1222 Action MAX HD Δ
1225 5 Star MAX (East) HD Δ
1227 Thriller MAX (East) HD Δ
1228 Outer MAX HD Δ

1238 SHOWTIME Beyond HD Δ
1239 SHOWTIME (East) HD Δ
1242 SHOWTIME Showcase HD Δ
1243 SHOWTIME Extreme HD Δ

1245 The Movie Channel (East) HD Δ
1246 TMC Extra HD Δ

1263 Starz Comedy HD Δ
1264 Starz Kids & Family HD Δ
1265 Starz (East) HD Δ
1266 Starz Cinema (East) HD Δ
1267 Starz in Black (East) HD Δ

1298 RetroPlex HD Δ
1299 IndiePlex HD Δ
1304 STARZ ENCORE Classic HD Δ
1306 STARZ ENCORE Suspense HD Δ

1317 Outdoor Channel HD ◊
1381 World Fishing Channel HD Δ
1383 Sportsman Channel HD Δ
1382 Outside TV HD Δ
1387 NFL Network HD Δ

1651-1659 NBA League Pass HD Δ
1671-1679 MLB Extra Innings Δ
1671-1679 NHL Center Ice HD Δ
1651-1659 MLS Direct Kick Δ
1671-1679 NHL Center Ice Δ

1900 MC Play HD Δ

Mike Mantle

Brian, the triangle symbol does not mean MPEG-4 according to the link you provided. In fact, there is no mention of MPEG-4 or MPEG-2 on that channel list. Also, many of the channels you listed are MPEG-2 on Cox in San Diego. For example, NFL Network HD has never been MPEG-4. Cox moved many of the channels that were MPEG-4 to MPEG-2 many moons ago.

Chumley, do you think there is a benefit to the list you suggested? BTW, I didn't see the SDV list that you referred to but channels move in and out of SDV on Cox depending on their technical need, so unless the list is very recent, it is out of date.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
One feature of this site is the ability to make such list files and creating them as Resources! There is also the ability to make WikiPosts which are posts that can be crowd edited, in case things change. I believe the diagnostic menus can also tell you if a channel is MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 and I know CableCARD users might be able to do so.

chumley

Chumley, do you think there is a benefit to the list you suggested? BTW, I didn't see the SDV list that you referred to but channels move in and out of SDV on Cox depending on their technical need, so unless the list is very recent, it is out of date.
The SDV list is one of the "pinned" threads at the top of this forum, but you're right that the list appears to be out of date.

My interest in the MPEG-4 channels was because I have a Tivo HD, and MPEG-4 recordings can't be transferred via TTG from a Tivo HD, so I was curious to know which channels could not be transferred. (This Tivo is modified to ignore CCI restrictions).