Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

New TWC Enhanced channel lineup

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Well, San Diego just got the new lineup and it's rather interesting. It did cause my boxes to reboot, but it's there. I do like entering in one channel and getting the HD version by default. I am sure I will get used to it, but any thoughts on this?
 
I will have to check on the new channel lineup when i get home from work today. Hope my scheduled programming isn't too screwed up. Summer programming is coming soon and I don't want to miss them.

As for the HD channel by default when selecting the SD channel (like hitting 7 for KNSD and getting the 707 KNSD-HD), that's been there for the last few weeks.
 

kevinc

Member
I only have cablecard tuners these days. As expected I lost my French Open tennis recording from the moment TWC pushed it out in the night. I rebooted my tuning adapters and did a rescan on my HDHomeRun tuners, then a new TV Setup in WMC. The correct channel lineup in WMC seems to be the "Time Warner San Diego, Upgrade, Digital". After that, everything looks fine so far.
 

lschwabe

New Member
I do a lot of recording and the TWC DVR equipment was totally inadequate since it only had two channels so I switched to Tivo about a year ago and I've been happy ever since, until now. Everything, and I do mean everything, I record or watch has been available in the 700 series making it super easy to monitor and setup new programming but now it's scattered all over the place. When TWC pushed this new lineup out overnight it worked fine on my TWC box in the bedroom but Tivo is now pushing out some of the old lineup and isn't even showing any of the correct premium channels in the 500 series and I record many of them. Tivo still shows the premiums in the 600 series and still shows all the 700 series as active channels. I wish TWC hadn't made this illogical change, especially since the Tivo people don't seem to be able to get it right. I'm in real trouble.
 

kevinc

Member
lschwabe said:
now it's scattered all over the place...I wish TWC hadn't made this illogical change
I have to agree with this. Pretty much everything I needed was in the 700s and matched the old "analog/basic" channel numbers too so it was easy to remember 8/708 for example. Now... CBS is 8/1209? ABC 10/1200? NBC 7/1203? Everything is indeed now scattered around and it is going to be harder to remember 3 and 4 digit numbers, especially when they don't tie up with the "basic" numbers... Why on earth aren't the highly used channels in the 100s say, with NBC 107, CBS108 and ABC 110 for example? The only saving grace I guess is that they are mapping the old basic numbers, but that's the last thing they should do if they really want to get people into the new sections/numbers because we're all going to resort to the short ones.
 

lschwabe

New Member
kevinc said:
lschwabe said:
now it's scattered all over the place...I wish TWC hadn't made this illogical change
I have to agree with this. Pretty much everything I needed was in the 700s and matched the old "analog/basic" channel numbers too so it was easy to remember 8/708 for example. Now... CBS is 8/1209? ABC 10/1200? NBC 7/1203?
Yep, that 1200 series is a complete illogical disaster and I've set all my recordings to the lower 100. The problem I'm having is Tivo has all the premium channels wrong and I'm probably going to lose some programming. I realize that's on the Tivo people but it wouldn't be a problem if TWC hadn't made these unnecessary illogical changes.
 

DRB

Member
The new lineup is indeed illogically layed out.
Also is there anyway with an HD box to temporarily override and get the SD version of a channel instead of the default HD version when desired?
Sometimes I prefer the SD version of some channels if I am recording it to my computer thru an analog video capture card.
 

kevinc

Member
DRB said:
Also is there anyway with an HD box to temporarily override and get the SD version of a channel instead of the default HD version when desired? Sometimes I prefer the SD version of some channels if I am recording it to my computer thru an analog video capture card.
If I want to record copy protected channels to PC in SD I use the composite output from a Roku 2XS with the TWC TV app. (For non copy protected I use a ClearQAM tuner input on the PC of course.) The TWC app gives very high quality/HD video and the composite output on the 2XS enables me to record it as a good anamorphic widescreen composite SD image - i.e. full screen height with no black bars - to my PC's analog capture card. That gives much better results than when I used to record SD from the composite out of a TWC DVR, which used to be non-anamorphic and so gave me black bars top and bottom for widescreen and thus very poor overall video quality. Of course a Hauppage PVR with component inputs is the best way to record copy protected channels from a TWC box but I gave the last of mine back when I went 100% cablecard.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
lschwabe said:
kevinc said:
lschwabe said:
now it's scattered all over the place...I wish TWC hadn't made this illogical change
I have to agree with this. Pretty much everything I needed was in the 700s and matched the old "analog/basic" channel numbers too so it was easy to remember 8/708 for example. Now... CBS is 8/1209? ABC 10/1200? NBC 7/1203?
Yep, that 1200 series is a complete illogical disaster and I've set all my recordings to the lower 100. The problem I'm having is Tivo has all the premium channels wrong and I'm probably going to lose some programming. I realize that's on the Tivo people but it wouldn't be a problem if TWC hadn't made these unnecessary illogical changes.
http://www.tivo.com/lineup.html

Here is a feedback form, so you can tell Tivo that TWC has changed their lineup.
 

lschwabe

New Member
Admin65 said:
http://www.tivo.com/lineup.html

Here is a feedback form, so you can tell Tivo that TWC has changed their lineup.
Thank you! They really should be aware of since it's their job.
 

lschwabe

New Member
I submitted my online lineup complaint to Tivo and it said response would be 5-7 days. Tivo is a great service, much better that TWC DVR service, but watch out for the customer service. It looks like I'll be on the phone for awhile.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Media Center seems to have solved this, though it may take calling TWC to reprovision the CableCARD and/or Tuning Adapter.
 
I can tell you that if you have the TWC box, you're fine. All my recordings correctly morphed to the new channels.

I used to use channel 707 (KNSD-HD) as the power-on channel, but that doesn't exist anymore, so I now use 7 but it still shows up on my TV as the HD version. Glad I kept the new channel guide that TWC sent out.
 

webersd

New Member
lschwabe said:
I submitted my online lineup complaint to Tivo and it said response would be 5-7 days. Tivo is a great service, much better that TWC DVR service, but watch out for the customer service. It looks like I'll be on the phone for awhile.
I have a Tivo and live in North County and we haven't had the channel change yet. I did some looking around and I found this entry in the Tivo help forums:
http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=11180036#e11180036

Tivo support says this about the TWC channel changes:
"...All you have to do to get your TiVo on the correct lineup is to repeat the guided set up by going to TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > System Information."

Further down, another poster says this:
"The answer, which I got from TIVO online chat support, is to do the guided setup, and after you select your cable provider ("Time Warner Cable") on the next screen you hit Enter for advanced options. Then you can choose the lineup called "Digital Rebuild - Extended Basic" and from there on everything works."

I am not looking forward to this change at all. I'm guessing I'll have to re-do all my season passes and trying to relearn all the new channel numbers will drive me crazy.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
My Media center machine had no problems with the new lineup. I am using a Ceton InfiniTV4 (PCIe) and I also get the HD feeds by default.
 

kevinc

Member
Admin65 said:
My Media center machine had no problems with the new lineup... I also get the HD feeds by default.
Likewise. However, I use the Ceton My Media Center App to control Media Center recordings etc. from iPhone and from Windows 8 PC and there is at least one minor quirk with the lineup: If I set it to record channel ABC/KGTV by setting channel 1200 rather than 10 Ceton MMC converts this to channel 1241, which is in fact not channel 10 but one of the KGTV sub-channels. This does not happen when I set it directly in Media Center. I'm not sure where the bug is in this but luckily the other channels I use regularly seem to map correctly and now I know about this one. Anyway, if you're using Ceton MMC apps I'd recommend checking it's mapping to the right channels you use before relying on it.
 

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
DRB said:
The new lineup is indeed illogically layed out.
Also is there anyway with an HD box to temporarily override and get the SD version of a channel instead of the default HD version when desired?
Sometimes I prefer the SD version of some channels if I am recording it to my computer thru an analog video capture card.
If you set the box only to 480i, you get the SD versions. You can always change that back.
 

DRB

Member
I think a better channel layout, or at least a guide option would be to order all the channels in alphabetical order and also have a quick channel name keyboard search option within the guide.
The numbers are nearly irrelavant now if the guide is used anyway.
 

kevinc

Member
DRB said:
I think a better channel layout, or at least a guide option would be to order all the channels in alphabetical order and also have a quick channel name keyboard search option within the guide.
The numbers are nearly irrelavant now if the guide is used anyway.
I couldn't agree more. I like the way the TWC TV apps (Roku, iPhone etc) have the channels in alphabetical order. A more radical rethink of the interface would be an excellent idea.
 
Top