Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

No Impact in San Diego?

Mike Mantle

I don't think spectrum repack impacts any of the San Diego TV stations other than UCSD-TV, which elected to go dark with their LPTV (they are still available on cable).

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Biggest unknown is the 600 MHz auction which is needed for the greedy wireless companies so they can deploy 5G. With ATSC 3.0 we probably wont need as much spectrum and perhaps stations can colocate their transmitter.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/atsc-30-rollout-can-begin-next-month-171487

Looks like ATSC 3.0 is effectively final as of last month. I would not expect it to be deployed right away, but it probably gives the broadcasters the ability to test out the new technology. I don't think there will be another CECB program ala the analog to digital transition, but I do expect ATSC 3.0 tuners to come out some time this year, early next year for TV's that do not support it.

jay214128

The repack effects start tomorrow. KLCS will go dark for San Diego when they move from channel 41 to co-locate with KCET on channel 28. Channel 28 is cochannel with XHJK making neither receivable.
Come next December, San Diego will also lose KOCE, KPXN, and probably KTLA, depending on what K35DG-D does (hopefully go off the air), all lost due to cochannel issues. The repack sucks.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I heard that k35dg is off the air.

EDIT: It has been off the air since 10/25/17 but you can watch UCTV content on cable, or internet enabled devices such as Roku players.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently, this could mean that Televisa can move XETV to virtual 5 to align it with the national PSIP schema so that all channels match the channel numbers of their Mexico City counterparts. Or maybe not, as Televisa found out that KTLA would interfere with Virtual 5, so that plan got cancelled. Then again, it could happen.

jay214128

Noticed that KPXN has completed their transition from channel 38 to channel 24. I also see that KNSD is broadcasting a test signal on channel 17 in preparation of their transition there from channel 40.

Oddly, I also see KGTV broadcasting their four subchannels both on channel 10 and channel 20 (low power). I don't know what the channel 20 is, but they should use different PSIP channel numbers. My TV does not like two 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 channels.

jay214128

I observed that KNSD is now putting up a scrawl during some of their programming indicating they will be transitioning from CH 40 to CH 17 on March 17, 2019. More information is at nbc7.com/rescan.

jay214128

Noticed that KPXN has completed their transition from channel 38 to channel 24. I also see that KNSD is broadcasting a test signal on channel 17 in preparation of their transition there from channel 40.

Oddly, I also see KGTV broadcasting their four subchannels both on channel 10 and channel 20 (low power). I don't know what the channel 20 is, but they should use different PSIP channel numbers. My TV does not like two 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 channels.
I now see that KGTV broadcasting on channel 20 is KZSD-LP, a low power translator station for KGTV located on Mt. San Miguel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KZSD-LP).

jay214128

Strange. It worked last week. Also, the expired domain message I get says:
sbe36.org expired on 11/11/2022 and is pending renewal or deletion
which is a few years in the future.