Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Odd thing with TW and my QAM tuners last night

I have 2 newer Samsung TV's connected to TW and use their QAM tuners to watch local channels in HD and many others in SD. No cable boxes are used. This morning, I turned on both TV's and they had lost their proper channel lists that were scanned previously. So I had to rescan them, have scrambled channels removes, and manually re-edit the names many channels. Anyone else have similar issues today.

Last night I believe TW was installing blocking software for OTA HD channels. They ended up crashing half of their channels city wide. This morning all of my TV's hooked up to cable (5) without a HD box will no longer show any OTA HD channels. When I unplug the cable they pop up immediately. I hear they are actually late in the game. COX and Comcast installed the blocking software a few years back.

Rick Shaw

ccooper1@san.rr.com said:
Last night I believe TW was installing blocking software for OTA HD channels. They ended up crashing half of their channels city wide. This morning all of my TV's hooked up to cable (5) without a HD box will no longer show any OTA HD channels. When I unplug the cable they pop up immediately. I hear they are actually late in the game. COX and Comcast installed the blocking software a few years back.
Strange you would make that last statement. I receive all of the local OTA HD channels with Cox's cable plugged directly into my TV. To what software are you referring?

This story in the enclosed link may clear up a few things. That's assuming it goes forward as planned. Apparently the FCC will allow the cable companies to start scrambling local channels. There is a requirement to phase in changes. I have an OTA antenna too and will just start using that more on my secondary TV's. This may help some cable TV customers for the short term. But it sounds like Basic cable subscribers only:

"The FCC has ruled that the top six cable companies—Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Charter, Cablevision, and Bright House—must provide existing basic cable subscribers one of three options:

1. The subscriber’s choice of a set-top box or CableCARD on up to two television sets without charge for two years from the date of encryption.
2. Those customers who subscribe to a level of service above “basic only” but use an additional television set to access only the basic service tier will be given a choice of a set-top box or CableCard on one TV without charge for one year from the date of encryption.
3. Existing subscribers who receive Medicaid will be able to receive a set-top box or CableCARD on up to two TVs without charge for five years from the date of encryption...."

http://www.hometheater.com/content/fcc-ruling-ensures-higher-bills-basic-cable-subscribers-future

BobsYourUncle

Time Warner did a channel shuffle Wednesday night. A rescan should return everything to normal. TWC no longer puts main and sub channels on the same multiplex, This is probably just a way to squeeze more channels in.

DRB

Yes TWC on Wed moved the clear QAM channel frequencies around, they are still unscrambled, but I had to do a complete rescan of all digital channels on my TVs and my WinTV PC TV-tuner card.
Its annoying because I had to reset all my digital channel tuner favorites.

It doesn't affect a cable box/DVR, however separately I noticed that the USA HD channel (formerly on 734) appears to have disappeared, only the USA SD channel (34) still exists on the guide. Is this a glitch?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Probably as I might have lost some channels as well. I so think they will fix the problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus via Tapatalk 2

DRB

I rebooted my DVR and the USA-HD channel (734) is still missing, only the SD channel (34) is listed.
The DVR was unable to record a new episode of Burn Notice on 734 USA-HD last night because of that.
Its being replayed tonight at 11PM if they get 734 back quickly.

DRB said:
I rebooted my DVR and the USA-HD channel (734) is still missing, only the SD channel (34) is listed.
The DVR was unable to record a new episode of Burn Notice on 734 USA-HD last night because of that.
Its being replayed tonight at 11PM if they get 734 back quickly.
And channel 890 suddenly has the NFL Network in addition to 355. I am not sure if it will be a permanent switch. The guide still says 3D for 890.

DRB

fblack_111 said:
And channel 890 suddenly has the NFL Network in addition to 355. I am not sure if it will be a permanent switch. The guide still says 3D for 890.
actually thats not sudden or new, its been the case for channel 890 (formerly 3D Events 1 channel) since NFL network was added a month or more ago. don't know why they waste that channel for it since its already allocated on other channel numbers.
[hr]
I also noticed my list of favorite channels on my HD-DVR got messed up after the recent channel update this week.
I had re-do the entire DVR favorite channel list today.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
TWC can have multiple channel numbers for 1 channel, so it does not waste any extra bandwidth.

I think TW did it again. I lost many of my (mostly local from what I can tell) pre-programmed channels on my QAM tuner. I am re-scanning now to see what happens. I can still get channels like CNN and CNBC, but HD locals are out.
[hr]
I did a quick rescan and it looks like the HD locals may be gone when using my Samsung TV's QAM tuner. Anyone else find this as well? I will do a few more scans and see what happens.

DRB

I still get all the TWC local HD channels tuning fine on my Samsung LCD and Panasonic plasma TV tuners today.
TWC did change the channel allocation a month or two ago that required a new rescan at that time, if you haven't done so since back then.

DRB said:
I still get all the TWC local HD channels tuning fine on my Samsung LCD and Panasonic plasma TV tuners today.
TWC did change the channel allocation a month or two ago that required a new rescan at that time, if you haven't done so since back then.
Thanks. They are back. I think TW did something last night again. I did a scan at about 6:00AM on 2 TV's and the HD locals never showed up. So I tried again now after your post and they are back.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
TWC does a lot of strange things lately. I had to have my tuner card reinitialized due to issues.

Admin65 said:
Plus my Road Runner seems to have slowed down.
I have been testing my speed again using speedtest.net. I pay for 30/5. My download is right on the money. But my upload speed is pretty constant at about 3.40 mbps. I will test it again during the next few days.

fblack_111 said:
Admin65 said:
Plus my Road Runner seems to have slowed down.
I have been testing my speed again using speedtest.net. I pay for 30/5. My download is right on the money. But my upload speed is pretty constant at about 3.40 mbps. I will test it again during the next few days.

My 30/5 speed is back this morning.