Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Orby TV

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member

I was watching some trashy reality TV show and saw a commercial for Orby which is a hybrid Satellite/OTA service. Promises to be $40/month with an optional $50/month. It seems to have a good list of channels, but not all are in HD as it uses 2 transponders on an Eutelsat bird. You can either buy it at BestBuy or Target. There is no contract, no credit checks, and minimal fees and you are not pressured if you decide you don't like the service. You get your local channels via OTA so you aren't missing anything. There is even premium channels available if you want that as well.

Receivers cost around $99.99 and for another 100 you can get a DVR. You do need their professional installation by Mastec which installs the Dish and an OTA antenna for one room at $150 and others for additional $50/room. You must buy a receiver and then schedule their installation which is kind of strange. DVR has dual tuners but not as advanced as the Genie or Hopper (as to be expected). Uses a SIM card that is tied to the receiver so you cannot repurpose a FTA box for this service. DVR fee is around $4/month per subscription and $12/month if you wish to use one as an OTA DVR.

This seems like a great option if you live in the sticks and cannot get internet that is fast enough to stream, or want an alternative to the cable and DBS providers. We seem to be in a great time for TV services as they all duke it out for our $$$. I still prefer streaming (Sling TV subscriber), but I can see how appealing a satellite option can be.

Edit: There seems to be a self install option.

Last edited:

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Some say that Orby TV is being financed by the Dolan's as Charles Dolan might have wanted to get back at Dish for the Voom channels.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Orby charges $4/month for their DVR service (per subscription not per box) and $12/month if you wish to use it as an OTA DVR with no programming package.