Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

OTA ClearQAM encryption update

Rick Shaw

Latest guess from Cox on the encryption of the OTA ClearQAM channels on Cox North County:
End 2015/Beginning 2016.

junebug2

So is this topic related to my other post?
http://www.sandiegohdtv.org/community/threads/tivo-suddenly-not-tuning-clear-qam-cox-south.515/

Someone responded with this COX link that says San Diego and has a date of Sept 21st.
http://www.cox.com/aboutus/policies/alldigital.cox

My TiVos (premiere & roamio) worked fine until Sept 20th, then low and behold the week of the 21st I get no recordings or channels. (Premiere luckily still records the analog, otherwise I would be dead due to wife killing me for not recording her shows) HOWEVER my televisions both tune the 800 and 1000 channels perfectly fine. I have no set top boxes, no cable cards and no SDV/TAs. Not sure how that is happening but I might have to succumb to cable cards and SDV boxes. Ugh!

chumley

Wow, I've been away for a while, so this is news to me. I understand the reasons for transitioning to all-digital and I have no problem with that. Encrypting the local broadcast channels, however, is a completely different matter. They were already transmitted digitally (clear QAM). Encryption is being added simply to restrict access.

Previously I believe there was a FCC rule that forbid encryption of local broadcast channels. Unfortunately it looks like that has changed recently.
https://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-system-encryption

This allows Cox to do what all cable companies have desired for a long time: to charge access fees per-device instead of per-subscriber. Once the local broadcast channels are encrypted, then that goal will have been fully achieved.

This is great for Cox. It is bad for subscribers who have multiple TVs, some of which only need access to local channels. I'm disappointed.

Last edited:

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Time warner is going all digital and they too plan to encrypt the analogs including locals; however locals are to be done a couple of months after the transition.

Rick Shaw

Time warner is going all digital and they too plan to encrypt the analogs including locals; however locals are to be done a couple of months after the transition.
According to Cox, encryption of ClearQAM locals is the last step in the "all-digital transition", and won't happen until early 2016 in North County.

DRB

According to Cox, encryption of ClearQAM locals is the last step in the "all-digital transition", and won't happen until early 2016 in North County.
Pretty much the same with TWC, my letter says they will encrypt the locals in mid Jan 2016.
What is the date Cox in south county will eliminate all the analog channels? Before the end of 2015?

Rick Shaw

Pretty much the same with TWC, my letter says they will encrypt the locals in mid Jan 2016.
What is the date Cox in south county will eliminate all the analog channels? Before the end of 2015?
I never bother to ask about South County since I don't live there. ;)

junebug2

In my case, TiVos without cable cards stopped tuning clear QAM HD channels on Sept 21st of this year. Oddly, my Panasonic Plasmas can tune them in fine, specifically 1004-1011, 1017. Don't know why that can possibly occur, but I have given in and I am now "upgraded" to Cable Card Hell now. I pay more and get the same channels. Technician #2 coming tomorrow since Tech#1 didn't figure it out after spending 4 hours here.

DRB

Cox South County has now begun the elimination of analog channels early in 2016.
Just like Time Warner, their first step is to put up a message screen on analog channels that are being eliminated.
So far I've noticed Channel 57 (AMC) analog channel now only has the message screen, while the channel is available in digital via the mini cable adapter.

oat

Strange, I am also in Cox South.
AMC analog 57 is still there for me.
Probably just a matter of time now.

DRB

Now Cox cable TV in La Mesa area is down to only a handful of active analog channels, just the free broadcast channels and a few spanish channels, channels 5-12. So far the clear QAM channels are still active too.
But if they follow Time Warner's pattern, expect all those remaining channels to disappear or go encrypted in the next month or so.
But its already far enough along that now a minibox is pretty much required to get anything beyond the free over-the-air channels at this point.

cris

It looks like as of today- south county has had their broadcast channels encrypted... why the heck would they do this? freaking FCC changes are going to make the idea of 'living without cable tv' impossible.

Josh

It looks like as of today- south county has had their broadcast channels encrypted... why the heck would they do this? freaking FCC changes are going to make the idea of 'living without cable tv' impossible.
Yep, I'm in Point Loma and have been using Hauppauge 1196 WinTV HVR-1265 PCI Express Hybrid High Definition TV Tuner Card to watch just local channels through my PC. As of yesterday all channels are just black. Currently, I only have internet service with Cox. Anyone know what my options are now that the channels are encrypted? Will a digital antenna still work?

danmanca

Does anyone know a way around this? Or can I rent the "mini box" just for the local channels I'm currently using the new Playstation Vue service. I get all of the channels cox wanted to charge me around $70 for at the cost of $35 and it includes cloud DVR with unlimited space. Only thing I'm missing is locals. I'm in a condo on the first floor and can't get good antenna reception...

danmanca

Thanks. Can I purchase a mini box somehow? I just checked with Cox and they want $22.99 for the "TV Starter" package that only includes locals. That's way more then I want to pay just to get locals. If not its back to trying to find the best antenna position in my house...

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
No, you cannot purchase a minibox, as they are cox specific. I would try to see what you can get with an antenna.