Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

PAC-12 Network on COX?

Rick Shaw

According to http://pac-12.com/AboutPac-12Enterprises/ChannelFinder.aspx Cox will carry The PAC-12 network SD/HD on channel 315/1315, but there is no sign of them yet.

JOSUARAT: When/where will these channels surface?

Joshuarat

Rick Shaw said:
According to http://pac-12.com/AboutPac-12Enterprises/ChannelFinder.aspx Cox will carry The PAC-12 network SD/HD on channel 315/1315, but there is no sign of them yet.

They were up and running on Wednesday...Are you on a CableCARD device (TiVO, Ceton, whatever)?

Rick Shaw said:

Interesting that SD chose to put them in the Plus Package.

Gary61

Bryan_CoxPHX said:
Rick Shaw said:

Interesting that SD chose to put them in the Plus Package.
That's BS that the HD channels are on the plus package.

Rick Shaw

Joshuarat said:
Rick Shaw said:

They were up and running on Wednesday...Are you on a CableCARD device (TiVO, Ceton, whatever)?
I have a SA8240HDC, leased from Cox. I found the SD channel today on 314, but no sign of the HD channel. Where is it? If they are going to use the PAC-12 network as bait for their WH DVR "Plus" package, I'm going to go ballistic!

Joshuarat

*duck*
Yes, the HD versions of PAC-12 and Big Ten are in the Plus Pak only in CA.

*personal opinions follow*
I'm not one to advocate spending money - but for $5.00 a month, the Plus Pak (in San Diego, there are slight differences across the state) gives a brand new box, a much more robust guide, roughly 3 times the DVR storage and 30 more HD channels...It's a great deal at that price.
Before anyone says it...yes, there were growing pains for the True2Way guide...I've been helping/using it since early 2009...its a whole 'nother animal from where it was a year or two ago. I honestly prefer it to Rovi now.

Joshua,
Can CA customers get a Standalone Trio DVR, w/o a second receiver? If yes, Is Pro Install still required? Fee?

Cox AZ chose to charge $10/mo for Plus Pak.

Rick Shaw

Joshuarat said:
*duck*

I'm not one to advocate spending money - but for $5.00 a month, the Plus Pak (in San Diego, there are slight differences across the state) gives a brand new box, a much more robust guide, roughly 3 times the DVR storage and 30 more HD channels...It's a great deal at that price.
Before anyone says it...yes, there were growing pains for the True2Way guide...I've been helping/using it since early 2009...its a whole 'nother animal from where it was a year or two ago. I honestly prefer it to Rovi now.
Well, I subscribe to NO premium movie channels, so my "Plus" pak would include the PAC-12 (LA) and the Big-10 HD channels, and FOUR additional obscure HD channels. I have yet to hear (here or on AVS) anybody say good things about the Trio guide or the DVR. What model DVR is being used for this single room application? Is rental of a second STB necessary (as many of your sales reps indicate?) Is an expensive service call still necessary for these single room installations? All this just to get PAC-12 Network in HD?

Cox seems to be steering away from "if you get the SD channel, the HD channel is free" motto.

Joshuarat

Bryan_CoxPHX said:
Joshua,
Can CA customers get a Standalone Trio DVR, w/o a second receiver? If yes, Is Pro Install still required? Fee?

Cox AZ chose to charge $10/mo for Plus Pak.

Bryan,
In CA you can get either the DVR or the 'Client' receiver as a stand-alone. I THINK that is available in AZ as well, but I can double check with a colleague on Monday if you like.

In CA (again, I can check with AZ if you like) there even the stand-alone configurations require a Pro Install. There are a slew of special offers that include a free Pro Install though (mostly on upgrades, but there may be other options available).
[hr]
Rick Shaw said:
Joshuarat said:
*duck*

Well, I subscribe to NO premium movie channels, so my "Plus" pak would include the PAC-12 (LA) and the Big-10 HD channels, and FOUR additional obscure HD channels. I have yet to hear (here or on AVS) anybody say good things about the Trio guide or the DVR. What model DVR is being used for this single room application? Is rental of a second STB necessary (as many of your sales reps indicate?) Is an expensive service call still necessary for these single room installations? All this just to get PAC-12 Network in HD?

Cox seems to be steering away from "if you get the SD channel, the HD channel is free" motto.
Rick,
The DVR is the Cisco 8642. As indicated above, the DVR and the Client receivers are both available as stand-alone units. There is a Pro Install required, but there may be an option to get that for free.

If you would like, I can bring you into either a Solutions Store or to where I work so you can take a good look at Trio and see if you like it...a whole lot of people do!

Rick Shaw

Joshuarat said:
The DVR is the Cisco 8642. As indicated above, the DVR and the Client receivers are both available as stand-alone units. There is a Pro Install required, but there may be an option to get that for free.

If you would like, I can bring you into either a Solutions Store or to where I work so you can take a good look at Trio and see if you like it...a whole lot of people do!
I suppose I can adjust to any GUI as long as the recording function is reliable. I'm still reading of failures in that regard on AVS. I'll note the thread and pass it your way next time I see one.

Right now, the cost/inconvenience of the Pro Install is the major stumbling block. The added cost of the "Plus Pak" just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, especially with Cox's "If you get the SD channel, the HD channel is FREE!" motto. Are those two channels part of the "Plus Pak" a) because they are above 860MHz, b) because they are MPEG4, c) just to piss people off, or d) ALL of the above ??

Gee, an extra $5/month and an expensive Pro Install just for PAC12 Network and a handful of other channels that I probably won't watch. Decisions...decisions.

Rick,

You do also get a 75HR 500GB HDD vs the 20HR 160GB.

Also, I believe the 8642HDC running Trio can use an Ext HDD as long as you don't have the client STBs. Last I heard the clients would not play nicely with an Ext HDD, Has that changed, Joshua?

Joshuarat

Rick,
In SAN the HD versions of those channels are both >860MHz and in MPEG4.

Let me know if you change your mind on a demo or if you would like me to look into possible free upgrade options as mentioned above.

Rick Shaw

Joshuarat said:
Rick,
In SAN the HD versions of those channels are both >860MHz and in MPEG4.

Let me know if you change your mind on a demo or if you would like me to look into possible free upgrade options as mentioned above.
Right now, I have time to think about it. UCLA's first game on August 30 is on the CBS Sports Net.

The install should be straight forward: AC cord, HDMI cable, cable coax. If I can get by the "Pro Install" and charge, I'll probably do it. I'd even out the $5 "Plus Pak" (for 5 channels), by dropping a unused pack. [Lifestyles.] Let me know how to get the "Pro Install"/charge waived. Thanks.

I bet if/when Cox carries the new TW Sports Net that has the Lakers, it'll be on the "Plus Pak", huh?
[hr]
Bryan_CoxPHX said:
Rick,

You do also get a 75HR 500GB HDD vs the 20HR 160GB.

Also, I believe the 8642HDC running Trio can use an Ext HDD as long as you don't have the client STBs. Last I heard the clients would not play nicely with an Ext HDD, Has that changed, Joshua?
Plus, I read on AVS that Cox is using the 320GB HDD, not the 500GB HDD. Joshua?

Joshuarat

Its a 500GB HDD in CA. I'm 99.9% its 500GB no matter where you are, if you have the 8642.

Cox doesn't officially support the eSATA drives so I can't say that the things will work with the hosts...I will say that any issues with them would be exasperated by clients

Lemme see what I can find Monday that might work for you on the install side.

rdehaven

When I had Cox come out for my pro install they did need to install some filters to adjust the signal strength. The new Cisco DVR would not work with all channels and the older SA 8300HD was just fine.

Other than a really botched firmware update a few months ago, I'm generally pretty happy with the Cisco UI. Just having the UI in HD is a huge improvement. It does seem to need to be manually rebooted more often than I think it should.

Rick Shaw said:
The install should be straight forward: AC cord, HDMI cable, cable coax. If I can get by the "Pro Install" and charge, I'll probably do it. I'd even out the $5 "Plus Pak" (for 5 channels), by dropping a unused pack. [Lifestyles.] Let me know how to get the "Pro Install"/charge waived. Thanks.

Joshuarat

Rick,

Can you please PM me a MAC address or serial number from one of your existing pieces of gear, or a phone number or...whatever I can use to find your account so I can figure out what deals are available for you?

Thanks!

Rick Shaw

Joshuarat said:
Rick,

Can you please PM me a MAC address or serial number from one of your existing pieces of gear, or a phone number or...whatever I can use to find your account so I can figure out what deals are available for you?

Thanks!
Sent around "noonish."

chumley

Rick Shaw said:
Well, I subscribe to NO premium movie channels, so my "Plus" pak would include the PAC-12 (LA) and the Big-10 HD channels, and FOUR additional obscure HD channels.
I'm in the same boat. The only channel of interest to me in the "plus" pak is Pac-12 HD. I was very disappointed to find out that I only receive it in SD on channel 314.

I also use a Tivo HD with cablecard as my sole DVR, so the DVR upgrade mentioned in this thread does not apply to me.

Joshuarat says the HD channel (presumably 1314) is in MPEG4, so does that mean that it's not even receivable on a Tivo? If so, that is just crazy! Why would they not make this channel available to everyone who subscribes to the "sports and information" pak, at least in the states that are home to Pac-12 teams?

Browsing the marketing info on the Cox website, under HD is specifically says "no additional programming fees". They've gone against this by putting the HD versions of some channels into the "plus" pak.

Major disappointment here. :(

Joshuarat, I know it's not your fault, so I'm not directing this at you. Your participation here is appreciated.