Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

PAC-12 Network on COX?

Marco

Seems ridiculous to not include the HD channel for the PAC 12 network, when one can download the PAC 12 app and watch events in HD (with COX service authentication). So if COX is trying to get people to shell out even more money to get the HD channel, then they better understand that they risk pissing of their customers. But i'm still baffled, because there was an article in the North County Times a few months ago, that said that the HD channel would eventually be available (there was no mention of the HD channel being on the plus pak or having a subscription to get it). We'll see what happens, they might change their minds if enough people complain.

Rick Shaw

Marco said:
Seems ridiculous to not include the HD channel for the PAC 12 network, when one can download the PAC 12 app and watch events in HD (with COX service authentication). So if COX is trying to get people to shell out even more money to get the HD channel, then they better understand that they risk pissing of their customers. But i'm still baffled, because there was an article in the North County Times a few months ago, that said that the HD channel would eventually be available (there was no mention of the HD channel being on the plus pak or having a subscription to get it). We'll see what happens, they might change their minds if enough people complain.
I am in a running battle with Cox over the need to a) subscribe to the $5/month Plus Pak, and b) pay $60 for a "Pro Install" just to get the necessary equipment to receive the HD version of the PAC-12 Network even though I get the SD version already.

chumley

After doing some more searching here and elsewhere, I'm still not entirely sure, but it appears that the Plus Pak channels can be received on the Tivo Premiere (with latest software), but not the older Tivo HD or Series 3.

Here's another relevant thread on this forum:
http://www.sandiegohdtv.org/forums/thread-plus-package-hd-channels-cablecard

There are questions about MPEG-4, 1 GHz tuners, whole home DVRs, software versions etc. What a confusing and complicated mess for the customers!!!

I really don't understand why Cox decided to put any non-premium channels into the Plus Pak, especially something with broad appeal like the Pac-12 network given that this is the home market. This just seems like a really bad decision by Cox. In my opinion, they need to move this channel out of the Plus Pak. I doubt that will happen unless enough of us call and complain.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Those with CableCARD devices such as Tivo Premiere and Windows 7 tuners (Ceton, HDHomeRun Prime) can view the Plus pack channels for no extra charge.

Rick Shaw

Admin65 said:
Those with CableCARD devices such as Tivo Premiere and Windows 7 tuners (Ceton, HDHomeRun Prime) can view the Plus pack channels for no extra charge.
Joshuarat, is this true?

Joshuarat

Rick Shaw said:
Admin65 said:
Joshuarat, is this true?
That is completly accurate. If you have a device that can handle tuning >870 MHz and accept MPEG4, then the Plus Pak is free. (As always with the caveat that you have to subscribe to the channel in Standard Def.)

I may have some other reasonably good news on this front in a few days.

Rick Shaw

Joshuarat said:
Rick Shaw said:
Admin65 said:
Joshuarat, is this true?
That is completly accurate. If you have a device that can handle tuning >870 MHz and accept MPEG4, then the Plus Pak is free. (As always with the caveat that you have to subscribe to the channel in Standard Def.)
Oh, but if we lease a DVR from Cox for $8/month, and pay $10/month for DVR service, then we have to pay the $5/month for the Plus Pak? Am I missing the logic in that?

I may have some other reasonably good news on this front in a few days.
Tease! :D

Joshuarat

From the Legal Notice section of the paper over the weekend:

"Effective November 7th, Cox Communications will be making changes to the way we offer the “Cox Advanced TV Plus Package” in our San Diego service areas. The current $5.00 Cox Advanced TV Plus Package fee will apply only to customers who have Cox Whole Home DVR. All other customers with Cox Advance TV Plus will no longer have this charge."

In other words as of Nov. 7th, customers with Cox Advanced TV Plus can get the new HD only or HD-DVR's with the Trio guide, the 500 Mb HDD (for the DVR) and access to the Plus Pak channels without paying the extra $5. Whole Home DVR customers (people who chose to have the boxes networked together) will pay the additional $5.00. Note that these boxes still require a Pro Install for the time being.

Rick Shaw

Joshuarat said:

"Effective November 7th, Cox Communications will be making changes to the way we offer the “Cox Advanced TV Plus Package” in our San Diego service areas. The current $5.00 Cox Advanced TV Plus Package fee will apply only to customers who have Cox Whole Home DVR. All other customers with Cox Advance TV Plus will no longer have this charge."

In other words as of Nov. 7th, customers with Cox Advanced TV Plus can get the new HD only or HD-DVR's with the Trio guide, the 500 Mb HDD (for the DVR) and access to the Plus Pak channels without paying the extra $5. Whole Home DVR customers (people who chose to have the boxes networked together) will pay the additional $5.00. Note that these boxes still require a Pro Install for the time being.
'Bout time.

chumley

Thanks for the update Joshuarat. Unfortunately that's not the news I was hoping for.

Does this mean that the Pac-12 Network will remain as MPEG4 and > 870 MHz (i.e. inaccessible to anyone without a newer Cox box, Tivo Premiere or Windows 7 tuner)?

Joshuarat

chumley said:
Thanks for the update Joshuarat. Unfortunately that's not the news I was hoping for.

Does this mean that the Pac-12 Network will remain as MPEG4 and > 870 MHz (i.e. inaccessible to anyone without a newer Cox box, Tivo Premiere or Windows 7 tuner)?
That is correct, the channel will remain >870 MHz and MPEG4.

chumley

Boo. :(

Do you know why this particular channel was put into the Plus Pak instead of making it more widely available?

segask

Joshuarat said:

so on November 7th, we still won't be able to walk into our local Cox Solutions store and exchange our old 8240/8300's for 8642's running Trio?

Even after November 7th we will still have to pay $60 for pro install of a Trio non-whole home set top box?

Joshuarat

so on November 7th, we still won't be able to walk into our local Cox Solutions store and exchange our old 8240/8300's for 8642's running Trio?

Even after November 7th we will still have to pay $60 for pro install of a Trio non-whole home set top box?
That is correct. For the time being, the Trio boxes are still Pro-Install only. The full rack rate for a Pro Install is $60. There are various deals to get the install cheaper, or even free. However, I don't know what you qualify for or may want (most are upgrade/add a product offers).

Best I have for the moment.

chumley

I just noticed that the PAC 12 Network HD channel 1314 is now working on my Tivo HD in north county!

I have no idea when it changed, but I'm super happy about it. I hope it stays this way. Thank you so much to whoever made this happen!

chumley

I also recently noticed that PAC12 Network is also available on channel 1312. I believe this one is the national feed, while channel 1314 is the LA feed. It's nice to have another option. Last year I was not happy with the programming choices that Pac 12 Network made for the LA feed. It was way too biased toward the LA teams. They would favor something relatively unpopular like women's softball with an LA team instead of showing a major PAC 12 game which did not include an LA team. They wouldn't even rebroadcast the major game later. This is not Cox's fault, but adding other PAC 12 feeds can help alleviate the problem.