Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Record 6 9865HDC questions.

drcroix

I just upgraded to this from the old SA8300 DVR. I was hoping you guys could help with a few questions.

When I fast forward there are 2x through 8x fast forward speed. But, it does not back up slightly like the 8300 unit did once you hit play. Meaning, as I FF through a commercial with the old unit once you saw the show back if you hit play it would go slightly back from that point do you did not miss the beginning of the show from the commercial.
Is there a way to enable this in the 9865 unit?

Question 2 has to do with digital audio out.
I am using digital optic audio out to my reciever. Do I use the audio setting pulse code modulated (option number 1) or Dolby digital AC3 (option 2)? The cable guy set it to pulse code modulated.

Question 3: when watching a recorder show the old unit would go to that channel when you went to guide. The new unit does not. Can this be changed?

Thanks for the help.

Rick Shaw

drcroix said:
I just upgraded to this from the old SA8300 DVR. I was hoping you guys could help with a few questions.

When I fast forward there are 2x through 8x fast forward speed. But, it does not back up slightly like the 8300 unit did once you hit play. Meaning, as I FF through a commercial with the old unit once you saw the show back if you hit play it would go slightly back from that point do you did not miss the beginning of the show from the commercial.
Is there a way to enable this in the 9865 unit?

Question 2 has to do with digital audio out.
I am using digital optic audio out to my reciever. Do I use the audio setting pulse code modulated (option number 1) or Dolby digital AC3 (option 2)? The cable guy set it to pulse code modulated.

Question 3: when watching a recorder show the old unit would go to that channel when you went to guide. The new unit does not. Can this be changed?

Thanks for the help.
Question #1: No. It may be introduced in a future Contour update, but I wouldn't hold your breath (or mine.)

Question #2: It depends on where you're sending the audio. If you're feeding an AVR that feeds a surround system, set it to DD AC3. If you only want stereo, set it to PCM.

Question #3: Uh, you better re-read that question and/or explain it better. Ya lost me.

drcroix

Thanks Rick.
Too bad for item 1.
For the audio setting, yes it is going into a pro logic surround sound reciever. So I need to change to the AC3 setting then?

For 3: on the old system, when watching a recorded show, if you press guide it would go to the channel that that show was recorded from.
The new one does not do this. I like that function. Just wondering if it something that can be set?
Thanks.

Rick Shaw

drcroix said:
Thanks Rick.
Too bad for item 1.
For the audio setting, yes it is going into a pro logic surround sound reciever. So I need to change to the AC3 setting then?
If you want DD5.1 from your digital channels, yes.

For 3: on the old system, when watching a recorded show, if you press guide it would go to the channel that that show was recorded from.
The new one does not do this. I like that function. Just wondering if it something that can be set?
Thanks.
I've never experienced that feature. I'm trying think of a practical reason to desire such a feature, and cannot. What was the model number of your old DVR, and what software was it using?

drcroix

Lets say you are watching a recorded show on NBC and a commercial comes on for a new show next week. If you went to guide to go forward to schedule a recording it would be on NBC when you hit guide. Now it is on whatever your last channel was, not the recorded channel. Not a big deal just wondering if there was a way to set it either way.

Rick Shaw

drcroix said:
Lets say you are watching a recorded show on NBC and a commercial comes on for a new show next week. If you went to guide to go forward to schedule a recording it would be on NBC when you hit guide. Now it is on whatever your last channel was, not the recorded channel. Not a big deal just wondering if there was a way to set it either way.
Considering the fact that I FF through all recorded commercials, it's no wonder I never encountered that feature, even when I used Passport or SARA. I would have gone to my grave without knowing of such a "feature." BTW, what software were you using when you came upon this feature?

drcroix

I'm with you. I always FF commercials too but if something catches my eye I would use this feature. Sorry, don't know the software and the unit is gone.

drcroix

Rick, thanks for the help on the audio setting. AC3 is much better as I always play through my Onkyo receiver.

Rick Shaw said:
drcroix said:
Considering the fact that I FF through all recorded commercials, it's no wonder I never encountered that feature, even when I used Passport or SARA. I would have gone to my grave without knowing of such a "feature." BTW, what software were you using when you came upon this feature?
drcroix said:
I'm with you. I always FF commercials too but if something catches my eye I would use this feature. Sorry, don't know the software and the unit is gone.
Passport definitely did this, I think SARA also did.

This was one feature I really missed when I switched to TiVo.

Rick Shaw

Bryan_CoxPHX said:
Rick Shaw said:
drcroix said:
drcroix said:
Passport definitely did this, I think SARA also did.

This was one feature I really missed when I switched to TiVo.
Odd. In all my years of using SARA and Passport, not once did I use (or long for) this feature. I can't imagine I'd ever use it. I'd say "BRAVO" to Contour for leaving it out.

Rick Shaw said:
Odd. In all my years of using SARA and Passport, not once did I use (or long for) this feature. I can't imagine I'd ever use it. I'd say "BRAVO" to Contour for leaving it out.
I used it all the time, Why would you praise the exclusion of a feature just because you never used it? Does not having it make your experience better?

Rick Shaw

Bryan_CoxPHX said:
Rick Shaw said:
I used it all the time, Why would you praise the exclusion of a feature just because you never used it? Does not having it make your experience better?
Perhaps. If enough unnecessary features are left out, faster operation is quite possible. I'd rather have them fix the CC problem or correct the recording viewed label than to add the above useless (IMO) feature. After all, it takes all of a half second to go to a channel in the guide.

LandOfApricots

Rick Shaw said:
Perhaps. If enough unnecessary features are left out, faster operation is quite possible. I'd rather have them fix the CC problem or correct the recording viewed label than to add the above useless (IMO) feature. After all, it takes all of a half second to go to a channel in the guide.
Rick -- what is the CC problem you mention? I am switching back to Cox soon (have been on ATT U-verse for 2 years) and will likely be getting one of the new DVRs. I use CC on everything, so I am interested in learning about any issues.

-Jeff

Rick Shaw

LandOfApricots said:
Rick Shaw said:
Rick -- what is the CC problem you mention? I am switching back to Cox soon (have been on ATT U-verse for 2 years) and will likely be getting one of the new DVRs. I use CC on everything, so I am interested in learning about any issues.

-Jeff
When I wrote that post almost a year ago, a user had to navigate 4-5 levels of menus to turn the CC on/off as the CC button on the remote was not tied to the IPG.

That problem HAS BEEN FIXED.