Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Request to Cox for New Cisco SDV Tuning Adapter Firmware

Request to Cox for New Cisco SDV Tuning Adapter Firmware

Cisco and TiVo have identified a bug in the currently deployed Cisco SDV Tuning Adapter Firmware, where tuning requests fail randomly and the failure rate increases the longer the TA has not been rebooted. Issue most notably presents itself in 4 and 6 tuner TiVos.

The Current Cisco TA Firmware is:
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601

The Newly Released Firmware is:
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901

Anyone else having SDV tuning failures, Please also post your request at the Cox Support Forums:
http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_forum/f/4/t/3280.aspx

Thanks for your post, every request helps.

According to this post Cox has no plans to update the firmware anytime soon. I hope plans change.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28894319-

Just a quick update:

TiVo seems to have solved this issue with a SW update:

SW Version 20.3.8
-now will retry tuning requests after a Tuning Adapter fails to respond

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=512353

Cox Phoenix, AZ
I just noticed that my Cisco Tuning Adapters got updated this morning at 2:30am

New Firmware is:
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.2001 Date: 11/19/13
Image File Version: 1.0.0.2001

An interesting note about F.2001 is that it now supports 8 SDV Sessions, so if there ever was an 8 tuner device, this TA firmware along with a Cisco PKM908 CableCARD could support 8 simultaneous streams.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
Nice, wonder if TWC will deploy it. TWC is using CableCARD v1.5.3.1101 and TA firmware v1.0.0.1901.

pbroughton

Bryan_CoxPHX said:
Cox Phoenix, AZ
I just noticed that my Cisco Tuning Adapters got updated this morning at 2:30am

New Firmware is:
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.2001 Date: 11/19/13
Image File Version: 1.0.0.2001

An interesting note about F.2001 is that it now supports 8 SDV Sessions, so if there ever was an 8 tuner device, this TA firmware along with a Cisco PKM908 CableCARD could support 8 simultaneous streams.
thanks for the heads up, Bryan. Mine updated today, same time of day. I assume that you continue to reboot every three weeks or so.

thanks for your efforts with Cox on this.

chumley

I just looked, and my TA also has firmware ver STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.2001. Not sure when it got updated.

This may be a coincidence, but my Tivo HD also recently started having problems downloading guide data. Looking in the system info, I found that GC had not completed successfully for more than 3 weeks. A common solution to that is to disconnect the TC for several hours. Some people have go so far as to setup a timer to power off the TA for a few hours daily. I powered off the TA overnight, then GC completed and has continued to be ok for the last week.

I've had my TA hooked up to the same Tivo at the same location for 4 years and have never had this issue before. I have had recurring problems where the TA will lose the ability to tune any channels. To avoid that problem, I've had to get in the habit of rebooting the TA and the Tivo every 3 or 4 weeks. I'm curious to see if the new firmware makes any improvement in that issue.

chumley

The GC failure has become a regularly recurring issue issue now. Unplugging the TA for a few hours always fixes it. I'm thinking that the new firmware has made things worse, since I never had this problem until recently and nothing else in my setup has changed for years.