Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Saving Money with TWC (Part 2)

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
http://stopthecap.com/2012/03/01/getting-a-better-deal-from-time-warner-cable-five-minutes-to-save-almost-700-in-2012/

If you have Twitter then this might work out. I might do this myself to reduce my TWC bill, as my Ceton card is not compatible with DirecTV. I also recommend visiting Stop The Cap, as it is a great source on ISP's and metered billing. If this article has helped you save money, feel free to post it here. Hope this helps.

Admin65 said:
I still have not heard back yet with TWC in regards to a better price.
I have a friend with TW who now pays about $126 including 2 DVR's and Showtime and is coming off a locked in price soon. He spend hours trying to get a new restructured deal with some changes. IE: Cinemax instead of Showtime and an extra HD cable box, less Tiers (no sports or choice package) etc. He finally got a quote of about $114 plus tax over the phone that he could live with. He had the rep repeat it several times. He then goes to a TW store to get the extra box and is told the cost is really $128 plus tax and that they had no record of any $114 deal. He complained to some supervisor and told him to review the recorded phone conversation with that rep. My friend is still waiting for a reply and it's been over a week.

ttweed

I had two price lock contracts over the last 5 years or so, and when I tried to negotiate a new one some 6-8 months ago, I was told that two-year contracts were no longer available. I had last had a Triple-play deal w/ 2 DVRs, 3 tier packages, Showtime/Cinemax, phone and wireless internet for $144 ($157 with taxes and fees), up from about $128 for my previous 2-year contract. The best I could do the last time, after dropping the premium channels, was $172 w/taxes and fees. I grumbled and complained, but couldn't get them to budge on the new price, so just accepted it. Then last month, they sent me a notice that my bill was going up to $184. I called and complained loudly again that these price raises were getting ridiculous, and that even though I had been a TWC customer for over 30 years, I was going to investigate other providers, as I just couldn't afford these increases in rates. I expressed my displeasure that new customers were given special deals while older, loyal customers were ignored. To my surprise, the agent consulted with her supervisor and came back with an offer of $158/mo. with the exact same service, which I gratefully accepted.

It appears that their continuing loss of customers is starting to make them a bit more negotiable on the rates, even as their costs are rising for the TV content they purchase from networks. I got the feeling that this was an "on-the-spot" retention strategy based on my threat to quit after many years as a customer, but I'm not sure. I was told that at some point I was going to have to pay "full retail" for their service, though, so I have no doubt that I will receive another price increase within a year or so, and they will not be so accommodating next time. We'll see.

YMMV,
TT

ttweed said:
I had two price lock contracts over the last 5 years or so, and when I tried to negotiate a new one some 6-8 months ago, I was told that two-year contracts were no longer available. I had last had a Triple-play deal w/ 2 DVRs, 3 tier packages, Showtime/Cinemax, phone and wireless internet for $144 ($157 with taxes and fees), up from about $128 for my previous 2-year contract. The best I could do the last time, after dropping the premium channels, was $172 w/taxes and fees. I grumbled and complained, but couldn't get them to budge on the new price, so just accepted it. Then last month, they sent me a notice that my bill was going up to $184. I called and complained loudly again that these price raises were getting ridiculous, and that even though I had been a TWC customer for over 30 years, I was going to investigate other providers, as I just couldn't afford these increases in rates. I expressed my displeasure that new customers were given special deals while older, loyal customers were ignored. To my surprise, the agent consulted with her supervisor and came back with an offer of $158/mo. with the exact same service, which I gratefully accepted.

It appears that their continuing loss of customers is starting to make them a bit more negotiable on the rates, even as their costs are rising for the TV content they purchase from networks. I got the feeling that this was an "on-the-spot" retention strategy based on my threat to quit after many years as a customer, but I'm not sure. I was told that at some point I was going to have to pay "full retail" for their service, though, so I have no doubt that I will receive another price increase within a year or so, and they will not be so accommodating next time. We'll see.

YMMV,
TT
I suspect just like with charging for a modem, they will start to push up costs on the rest of their equipment in the near future. HD DVR boxes up to $15 etc.

kevinc

My current two year internet/tv pricelock ends in July. A few days ago I got an email telling me that they will continue to give me the same price for another year - apparently with no additional commitment on my part. Only difference is that they will start charging the $3.95 modem rental fee though I've recently bought and installed my own modem so their modem will be going back.

My 2 dvrs are in fact gathering dust since I added two cablecards and went htpc so when the contract expires I'll take everything back and see if I can generate a better deal for what I actually need but I doubt I'll be able to do a lot better. I've read in several places recently that the cable cos have finally noticed the amount of cord cutting going on and intend to react by increasing prices on internet and reducing on tv. Whatever the thinking twc is clearly getting a bit more rational.

Simon P

Saving Money with TW - Extreme edition

Well, last month we dropped *all* TV channels with TW. The only thing we kept was Road Runner standard internet.

We were expecting to meet our broadcast needs with an OTA antenna and a dual-tuner HD HomeRun, which works just fine, except that the CW is a bit 'iffy'.

As it turns out, by accident or design, when the TW cable guy came to turn off our feed, it turned off all the analog channels between 2 and 25, but left all the ClearQAM digital channels: 6.1, 8.1, 8.2, 9.1, 10.1, 10.2, 10.15, 15.1, 15.2, 39.1, 39.2, 51.1, 69.1, 69.2 and a bunch of SD replicas of the HD channels and UCSDTV and so on.

So, now we're getting all those channels and standard internet for $35 a month instead of $65.

Cool beans :)

Simon P

Admin65 said:
Until TWC decides to move to digital and encrypts the ClearQAM channels.
That's an interesting point. I've been following this ClearQAM thing since 2006, and despite denials and filters and all sorts of blocks put in the way of watching them, TW, in the end, (and including a huge personal apology from the GM of TW San Diego) has consistently made these channels available to us, and I presume, everyone.

What is interesting in this case is that we have terminated all TV service from TW, so they are under no obligation to provide anything at all. But they still are.

A second point: Are they *allowed* to encrypt ClearQAM? I'm not trying to say that they should provide it to us if we've elected to opt out of TV service, but does the FCC allow cable providers to encrypt (and therefore require a STB or CableCard) for programming that would otherwise be available OTA?

kevinc

Simon P said:
Admin65 said:
A second point: Are they *allowed* to encrypt ClearQAM? I'm not trying to say that they should provide it to us if we've elected to opt out of TV service, but does the FCC allow cable providers to encrypt (and therefore require a STB or CableCard) for programming that would otherwise be available OTA?
Yes. See http://www.hometheater.com/content/fcc-ruling-ensures-higher-bills-basic-cable-subscribers-future for details.

Simon P

kevinc said:
Simon P said:
Admin65 said:
Yes. See http://www.hometheater.com/content/fcc-ruling-ensures-higher-bills-basic-cable-subscribers-future for details.
Thank you for that :) Oh well, it doesn't really affect me, it just puts off the day when I organize a better distribution of my OTA signal.

kevinc said:
My current two year internet/tv pricelock ends in July. A few days ago I got an email telling me that they will continue to give me the same price for another year - apparently with no additional commitment on my part. Only difference is that they will start charging the $3.95 modem rental fee though I've recently bought and installed my own modem so their modem will be going back.

My 2 dvrs are in fact gathering dust since I added two cablecards and went htpc so when the contract expires I'll take everything back and see if I can generate a better deal for what I actually need but I doubt I'll be able to do a lot better. I've read in several places recently that the cable cos have finally noticed the amount of cord cutting going on and intend to react by increasing prices on internet and reducing on tv. Whatever the thinking twc is clearly getting a bit more rational.

My 1 year deal is up too very soon and TW told me they would just keep everything the same. So I am staying as is for now. I told them I don't like the fact that they have no way to email or send a confirmation. But I waited a few weeks and they have a "look forward" on your bill and all looked fine. They did say they are stopping my free Showtime however in mid July. But I never really watch it.

kevinc said:

My 1 year deal is up too very soon and TW told me they would just keep everything the same. So I am staying as is for now. I told them I don't like the fact that they have no way to email or send a confirmation. But I waited a few weeks and they have a "look forward" on your bill and all looked fine. They did say they are stopping my free Showtime however in mid July. But I never really watch it.

DRB

I see TWC just increased prices again this past month.
My monthly bill went up almost $11, they are charging more for internet and DVR rental, plus they have now added a $2.50 broadcast channels fee.
Going to have to try to get them to give me a lower price deal with 1-2 year lock in if possible!

Rick Shaw

DRB said:
I see TWC just increased prices again this past month.
My monthly bill went up almost $11, they are charging more for internet and DVR rental, plus they have now added a $2.50 broadcast channels fee.
They gotta pay for that new Dodgers channel somehow. They haven't been able to get any other cable companies or DBS to sign on.:rolleyes:

kevinc

If anybody isn't yet aware, if you currently have a simple non-DVR cable box in a room you can think about replacing it with a Roku and run the TWC-TV app on it. That provides equivalent live TV with what seems to be your normal channel line up once you've authenticated the app to your TWC Account (it doesn't include ESPN in that line up but there's a separate Watch-ESPN app that you authenticate and has those channels). Saves $11.25 a month and I find the picture quality is excellent using a wired ethernet connection (haven't tried wireless but that will depend on your own network capabilities). Certainly fine for a den/office/bathroom/spare room. Note not all the Rokus are compatible with TWC-TV so you should check that out here: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/faqs/faqs-tv/twctvapp/twc-tv-new-version1/which-roku-devices-will-twc-tv-work-on.html

With it's non-line of sight remote the new Roku stick would be a very neat hidden solution for a TV with HDMI and a USB for power.

My bill went up this month to cover an equipment increase. I guess DVR's went up from $10 to $11.25. And I still have those old, slow, buggy DVR's. It's not like they rolled out some fancy, improved boxes.

But last January I thought I re-negotiated a one year deal. So when I called to complain, they said that my one year deal did not include any equipment increases. (They never told me that in January) And they said I was given a special $7 a month promo discount that also expires in July. (They never told me that in January). And since TW never sends a confirmation when you make a deal with a rep, their is little I can due. So the rep said call in July and see what specials they have. I am so tired of dealing with them. I sure don't trust their reps any more.

kevinc

fblack_111 said:
I am so tired of dealing with them. I sure don't trust their reps any more.
I only trust the folks at Ware Court these days - knowledgeable, friendly, keen to help you and most importantly they show you what they've done on the screen before you walk out. Too many bad experiences like yours with their phone customer service.

Well it's that time again. My plan expires in January. A quick call to TW and I had them do a "look forward" on my bill. They say it will go from about $130 to $170 in the end of January. I tried to get real info on a deal and they said to call back in late December. I just hate negotiating with them. With a little push, I may consider dropping their cable TV package. Anyone dealt with them lately after a rate deal was set to expire?

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
fblack_111 said:
Well it's that time again. My plan expires in January. A quick call to TW and I had them do a "look forward" on my bill. They say it will go from about $130 to $170 in the end of January. I tried to get real info on a deal and they said to call back in late December. I just hate negotiating with them. With a little push, I may consider dropping their cable TV package. Anyone dealt with them lately after a rate deal was set to expire?
I would call them, but there is a deal where you can get WH-DVR, ultimate internet and Phone for $129.99/month. I am interested in changing my service and possibly get Ultimate 50.