Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

SDV channel listing - Cox San Diego

Joshuarat

Here you go guys.

I'll try to stay on top of the edits to this as time goes on...I'll edit the post and change the document date each time I do update it.

Hope this helps you out!

11/21/11 - Added 223 Thriller Max
11/29/11 - Added: WGN HD, MSNBC HD, Tru TV HD, Galavision HD,
Investigation Discovery HD, BBC America HD, Tennis Channel
HD, GAME PPV 2 HD
3/20/12 - Removed Spike HD, MTV HD and Comedy HD from SDV. Also changed the sheet so it has a complete listing of channels, along with what is in SDV.

4/4/2012 - Removed Cartoon, Nick Jr. and KPBS from SDV pool in SAN North and South. Added 4SD, ShopNBC and ION to SDV pool in SAN North and South. Added Fox Deportes San Diego to lineup

5/2/2012 - Removed Food, HGTV and MTV. Added AMC, Animal Planet and CNBC.

Attachments

Rick Shaw

Joshuarat said:
Here you go guys.

I'll try to stay on top of the edits to this as time goes on...I'll edit the post and change the document date each time I do update it.

Hope this helps you out!
Thanks. 200+ channels on SDV. What number is their final goal?

Joshuarat

Sorry Rick, really don't know a definitive answer to this. Way to many variables on BW savings/allotment, blocking, etc.

chumley

Thanks Joshuarat!

Wow, I that is a long list. I'm surprised that they are moving to SDV on channels under 100. People with cablecards in their TVs will loose access to those channels. The assumption must be that cablecard-ready TVs are HD, so the non-SDV channels in the 1000+ range will suffice.

Rick Shaw

chumley said:
Thanks Joshuarat!

Wow, I that is a long list. I'm surprised that they are moving to SDV on channels under 100. People with cablecards in their TVs will loose access to those channels. The assumption must be that cablecard-ready TVs are HD, so the non-SDV channels in the 1000+ range will suffice.
They won't lose access at all. The analog channels - those that are tuned by the TV - won't be going SDV. Their counterpart in the digital simulcast is the one going SDV. For example, WGN channel 2 analog NTSC at 57MHz will not be going SDV. WGN 256QAM at 561Mz in the digital simulcast will be going SDV. Analog transmitted channels cannot be put on SDV. See post #72 by Joshuarat in the "Tuning Adaptor" thread.

chumley

I know analog channels can't go SDV. There is no "D" in analog. :)

But moving the sub-100 digitals to SDV will make them inaccessible to cablecard TVs in digital form, and any older non-SDV cable boxes (if they still exist). I have a hard time believing that COX expects people to tune those channels via analog. Most carriers want to get rid of analog since it is a waste of bandwidth. I had assumed that Cox has eliminated or is going to eliminate analog for all channels except the most limited basic subset. Is that not the case?

Joshuarat

We do provide Tuning adaptersfor SDV that work with OCCUR devices (Tivo, Ceton, etc).

Unfortunatly, most Cabl Card TV's are not compatible with the Tuning Adapters...for those folks I believe we still offer to rent them a Digital receiver/cable box at the normal Cable Card price (1.99 a month).

This is actually a great alternative in my book for those people with Cable Card TV's (very, very few) - with the Cable box, you get a good on screen guide and VOD access. In my opinion, thats far better than than the Tech/limitations of any of the Cable Card TV's. I'm pretty sure noone is still MAKING those TV's at this point, so we're dealing with a bit of legacy equiptment.

For the folks who prefer to use Tivo etc, we've got them covered.

Rick Shaw

chumley said:
I know analog channels can't go SDV. There is no "D" in analog. :)

But moving the sub-100 digitals to SDV will make them inaccessible to cablecard TVs in digital form, and any older non-SDV cable boxes (if they still exist). I have a hard time believing that COX expects people to tune those channels via analog. Most carriers want to get rid of analog since it is a waste of bandwidth. I had assumed that Cox has eliminated or is going to eliminate analog for all channels except the most limited basic subset. Is that not the case?
AFAIK, TVs with CableCARDS tune to the analog version of the channels, not the digital stream. [At least that's how it was a few years ago when I viewed the diagnostics of a Panasonic CC TV. The diagnostics listed the NTSC frequency as the tuned frequency, not the 256QAM frequency. In other words, they were "inaccessible" even before they went SDV.] In regards to your other question, Cox SD still has two tiers ("Starter" and "Expanded") of analog channels (70+ channels?), and I've heard of no timetable for their elimination.

When Cox gets rid of the Starter and Expanded analog tiers, I'll be getting rid of Cox as I won't be renting a converter box in order to receive cable service. It won't do my analog VCRs any good anymore and nobody makes a good replacement for a VHS VCR AFAIK, one that records digital signals on VHS tapes.

SDV sounds great for pay TV and pay per view, two services I happily do without. Put the shopping/paid channels on SDV and free up some analog bandwidth.

Rick Shaw

antennafarmer said:
When Cox gets rid of the Starter and Expanded analog tiers, I'll be getting rid of Cox as I won't be renting a converter box in order to receive cable service. It won't do my analog VCRs any good anymore and nobody makes a good replacement for a VHS VCR AFAIK, one that records digital signals on VHS tapes.
I felt the same as you about my VCRs - until I started using a DVR. That thing has simplified things so much. I hardly ever use my SVHS VCRs any more.

t2pilot

I have WMC w/Ceton card and CableCard & TA. I try to select channel 1345 (BBCA HD) and receive a "SDV Error: 3".

I am located in North San Diego (i.e. Vista).

I thought I should be able to receive 1345??

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

chumley

Rick Shaw said:
antennafarmer said:
I felt the same as you about my VCRs - until I started using a DVR. That thing has simplified things so much. I hardly ever use my SVHS VCRs any more.
Same here. I resisted DVR for a long time due to the cost, but I eventually gave in and bought a Tivo, and now I could never go back. Now I just resist rented DVRs. :)

Back more on topic, I used to live in a Comcast area, and I had a CableCard in my TV. It was definitely tuning digital streams for all channels, and I could record those digital streams onto a DVHS VCR via firewire. It worked fine because there was no SDV in that system. That kind of setup will not work here on the Cox system due to the large number of SDV channels. I realize that there aren't many people who have a CableCard in their TV, I was just pointing out the limitation.

Micawber

t2pilot said:
I have WMC w/Ceton card and CableCard & TA. I try to select channel 1345 (BBCA HD) and receive a "SDV Error: 3".

I am located in North San Diego (i.e. Vista).

I thought I should be able to receive 1345??

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom
I get 1345 OK here in San Marcos with a TiVo and TA. The TA's are sometimes problematic; you may have to cycle power on them.

pbroughton

Is there an updated list available??--RE: SDV channel listing - Cox San Diego

I have been unable to tune/retune channel 1057 with the Tuning Adapter TiVo combination after years of being able to do so.

The Cox Help Desk Tech said that this channel is now SDV, but the list I have from May, 2012 doesn't show this channel as SDV. For (constant!) troubleshooting for the TA, I sure would appreciate an updated list. (I couldn't seem to find on Cox site....)

Thanks for any info..............