Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

Settings on your TW DVR cable box

I have always just set my "output resolution" to 1080i/60i under settings on my HD TW Cable boxes. A friend came over and said I should use 720P/60P. While many feel 720P is better than 1080i, on my Samsung LED TV's I really cannot see a difference. I was curious how others are setting their Output Resolution on their TW boxes.

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I just use 1080i, for simplicity, and that it keeps the cable box from switching resolutions.

DRB

I use 1080i, it provides better resolution for most of the HD stations that use 1080i to my 1080p Panasonic Plasma and Samsung LCD HDTVs.
You can also enable both 720p and 1080i and the cable box will switch between them depending on the source channel format, but on my TVs causes a longer delay (several seconds) when you switch between a 720p to a 1080i channel or vice-versa.
I couldn't see any quality difference using 720p vs 1080i with a 720p HD channel so I prefer 1080i fixed output format for faster channel changing.

Mike Mantle

fblack_111 said:
I have always just set my "output resolution" to 1080i/60i under settings on my HD TW Cable boxes. A friend came over and said I should use 720P/60P. While many feel 720P is better than 1080i, on my Samsung LED TV's I really cannot see a difference. I was curious how others are setting their Output Resolution on their TW boxes.
Ideally, you want your STB output to match your TV resolution. This way, your TV doesn't have to do any conversion. Converter circuitry varies from TV to TV, although modern TVs do a pretty darn good job! Thus, if you have a plasma or a "smaller" LCD that is 720p, you would want to set your STB to 720p. If you have a TV that is 1080i, you set the STB to 1080i. With today's 1080p TVs, you would want to experiment as others have done to find whatever works best for you.

I'm not sure if a STB and TV play nicely together in 720p mode if the content is 3D. I've never tried that. My STB is set to 1080i and my TV is 1080p by the way.